Help stocking 55 gallon

troiusmaximus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 55 gallon mixed reef I currently have a 1.5" yellow stripe maroon, a 3.5" scribbled rabbit fish, two fairy wrasses (orange back and Lubbock's), and a Carpenter's flasher wrasse.

Was considering a few more fish, possibly two or three more. Here is what I am considering as potential livestock:

Royal gramma
Flame hawkfish
Blue damsel
Coral beauty (taking a chance that he doesn't eat my Acans)
Some kind of anthias

Any concerns? Too many fish? Compatibility? Acclimation box or no? Order? Any alternatives that you feel passionate about?

Last edited:

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 55 gallon mixed reef I currently have a 1.5" yellow stripe maroon, a 3.5" scribbled rabbit fish, two fairy wrasses (orange back and Lubbock's), and a Carpenter's flasher wrasse.

Was considering a few more fish, possibly two or three more. Here is what I am considering as potential livestock:

Royal gramma
Flame hawkfish
Blue damsel
Coral beauty (taking a chance that he doesn't eat my Acans)

Any concerns? Too many fish? Compatibility? Acclimation box or no? Order? Any alternatives that you feel passionate about?
Thought about a pair of clowns?

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually no, but interesting idea. Would my current clown take to another of the same species easily or are you proposing introducing a new pair?
Maroons are some of the more aggresive clowns so id add another of the same species. Id get a smaller maroon that you have now, getting another species or a bigger one might end bad.

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually no, but interesting idea. Would my current clown take to another of the same species easily or are you proposing introducing a new pair?
And he should take to a smaller one pretty easy. Do you have an acclimation box?

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have one. Indispensable when adding multiple wrasses.
I would definitely use it if you end up getting another maroon. I have a 55 gal also and used it when adding my second percula,(even though they arent as aggressive) and they paired off within a day

Techie_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels can be overly aggressive if not in a school. Your tank maybe too small for anthias as well. But the Coral Beauty, Hawkfish, and the Gramma are great additions to any tank. My personal recommendation is the Royal Gramma, they are so pretty and typically the model citizen in tanks.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral beauty is a risk with acans.

I would not add a second maroon. If they start laying eggs they will take over more than half the tank.

OP
OP
T

troiusmaximus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame hawk and royal gramma? Those were already my top two but I was looking for a third. Any ideas?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 166 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back