Help with an ID, please.

HumblePie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Can I get your help with an ID for an LPS I bought recently. The store I bought it from didn’t know what it was called so I’m hoping the folks here might have some thoughts. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

F95DF0F8-78A3-4642-B241-E5FAD57D1600.jpeg

OP
OP
HumblePie

HumblePie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be answering my own post but just to add a bit more info, the closest coral that I could find to mine was the Aussie Purple Tip Hammer Coral. If folks have other ideas, please let me know. Thanks.

bknope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much did you pay? Now I’ve been staring at torches the last few days so I may be wrong...but that looks like an Aussie gold torch!

edit: some tips do look hammer-ish. Either way I think you got a beauty!

Last edited:
OP
OP
HumblePie

HumblePie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks much! It's funny that you mentioned that. The person that had bought this for the store was out so the person helping me thought it was a torch but wasn't sure. It was in their high-end tank and was listed as 66 or 99. Since the price was on a disc that was turning in the current, he gave it to me for $66 which was a bit unusual as the other stuff in that tank was quite expensive. I thought it could be a hammer but there are a lot of torch characteristics. I had been looking for matching hammers so i really haven't focused on torches. I'll look at the Aussie Gold torch. Thanks much!

OP
OP
HumblePie

HumblePie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bknope it does have a lot of similarities to an Aussie Gold torch! Thanks for the pointer. I'll do more research on this. Thank you!

OP
OP
HumblePie

HumblePie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a hammer

@ScottR - Sorry. I missed your reply. Thanks for letting me know. Do you happen to know what type of hammer it might be (or even what region it might be from)? The picture above isn't quite accurate in the colors as it is a yellow/green with purple tips. this picture makes it look more green than it is. If you might happen to have any additional info/thoughts, please let me know. If not, no worries. I might have to chalk this up to being an Aussie Purple Tip Hammer as that is by far the closest I've been able to find on the Web. Thanks!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back