Help with my favia

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a salinity spike my Prurple Haze Favia is starting to look worse every day. On the first day everything looked stressed, I got the salinity back in order and everything seemed to turn around. but now each day the favia is still going down hill despite everything else recovering well. Is there something I can do to help should I put it in lower light?

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the fist day it was just a small white patch and has progressively gotten to this point over the past week.
20220316_213142.jpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure but I’ll bump this for you. Hopefully someone can chime in and help out

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to be that person but.....
it appears from your picture there is alot going on in your tank with algae? Maybe i am wrong but parameter fluctuations and instability (for me at least) affect things as well. How do they look now that the salinity is under control?
What did it spike at and how long did it last? How did you bring it back down? The coral does not look good tbh.
I am no expert but without a bit more info i am not sure how much help you are going to recieve.

cocoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had my 125 gal for over a decade and once in a while see patches of cyano, i break it up with more flow and it goes away.
Slow and steady, and consistency is key for keeping reef tanks. Imo

cocoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to be that person but.....
it appears from your picture there is alot going on in your tank with algae? Maybe i am wrong but parameter fluctuations and instability (for me at least) affect things as well. How do they look now that the salinity is under control?
What did it spike at and how long did it last? How did you bring it back down? The coral does not look good tbh.
I am no expert but without a bit more info i am not sure how much help you are going to recieve.
I second this notion. Make changes slow, even if there are issues with any parameter. Stability is worth more than concrete numbers.

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started having issues with my salt mix, (noticed my 2 part consumption would drop dramatically after a w.c) concluded it was due to the turkish marin pro salt... then i stopped dosing vibrant recently aswell after hearing about everything going on with that so there have been a few changes the algea cam back about a a week after stopping... what do you recommend i do about the algea.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
On the fist day it was just a small white patch and has progressively gotten to this point over the past week.
20220316_213142.jpg
Based on your photo, issue may be more than a salinity spike but rather the presence of what appears to be Dinoflagellates. This will need to be addressed sooner than later before further issues arise.
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15% IF you have light dependant corals) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its only been about a week and half with the dinos and it appears to be getting better (the dinos not the algea on the rock) so ill do a few more days of manual removal and hope it clears on it did like when i first started the tank. But the algea on the rock has not gotten any better i will stop feeding coral food and aminos as well.

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on your photo, issue may be more than a salinity spike but rather the presence of what appears to be Dinoflagellates. This will need to be addressed sooner than later before further issues arise.
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15% IF you have light dependant corals) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly
Actually im going to start this procedure on sunday if the dinos dont clear by then. thank you verry much for the info this fourm is invaluable.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Actually im going to start this procedure on sunday if the dinos dont clear by then. thank you verry much for the info this fourm is invaluable.
They wont clear on they own. They progress daily especially when there is a presence of light. At minimum, lights have to be off Mainly whites.

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They wont clear on they own. They progress daily especially when there is a presence of light. At minimum, lights have to be off Mainly whites.
They have been clearing over the past week now it was to the point where 75 to 80% of the samd was covered with daily renoval i get home and its maybe just a corner and a spot here or there.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back