Help with Unhappy Yellow Tang

VanCityReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I have a Yellow tang that is in a 20G QT with two small clowns and is very unhappy. She has what looks like ich on her fin and eye, torn dorsal fin, and these . I treated them with Praziquantel for 8 days, they have been treated with "Coper Power" at 2.0ppm for two weeks now. She eats fine for now, but I don't think she is improving. Please see the pictures and help.

Thank you all for your help!!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,lets get some expert help here,best wishes! @Jay Hemdal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs are easily stressed, but if its eating that's a very good sign. I just QTd a very sick bristletooth that I was sure was going to die, but pulled through. Ensure your tank is dimmed/has several hiding places (PVC pipe) to conceal itself.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I have a Yellow tang that is in a 20G QT with two small clowns and is very unhappy. She has what looks like ich on her fin and eye, torn dorsal fin, and these . I treated them with Praziquantel for 8 days, they have been treated with "Coper Power" at 2.0ppm for two weeks now. She eats fine for now, but I don't think she is improving. Please see the pictures and help.

Thank you all for your help!!
How does the tang's left eye look now? In one picture it looks fine, but in another it has a white center to it. In one shot I see what could be diffuse ich spots, but in another picture the fins seem clear - are these pictures from different times? If so, what order should they be in?

A good sized YT in a gallon gallon tank isn't going to be really happy, but that shouldn't directly cause physical damage like the ripped fin....

Jay

OP
OP
VanCityReef

VanCityReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the tang's left eye look now? In one picture it looks fine, but in another it has a white center to it. In one shot I see what could be diffuse ich spots, but in another picture the fins seem clear - are these pictures from different times? If so, what order should they be in?

A good sized YT in a gallon gallon tank isn't going to be really happy, but that shouldn't directly cause physical damage like the ripped fin....

Jay
The eye is still a bit cloudy, looks like ich on the eye. All these pictures were taken at the same time. I'm assuming it's because of lens glare that you cant see it in some pics. I can try get more pictures.

A couple of questions for you:
  1. Any idea what would cause the red on its face?
  2. Could the copper be causing this kind of irritation? My powder blue tang made it through the same QT procedure and did not nearly show as much stress.
  3. I'm not seeing as much improvement on the ich on its fin, should I try increasing the copper or trying a different medication?
Thank you very much for your time in advance Jay, you're a legend

OP
OP
VanCityReef

VanCityReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs are easily stressed, but if its eating that's a very good sign. I just QTd a very sick bristletooth that I was sure was going to die, but pulled through. Ensure your tank is dimmed/has several hiding places (PVC pipe) to conceal itself.
Appreciate the words of encouragement! She is just a bit too big for the PVC I have, so I wedged in a yellow-solo-cup that she can hide in. I wouldn't put something like that in my main display because of the dye (and its ugly), but I change the water at least once a week on the QT, so I hope that mitigates any possible issues (unless anyone knows better)?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eye is still a bit cloudy, looks like ich on the eye. All these pictures were taken at the same time. I'm assuming it's because of lens glare that you cant see it in some pics. I can try get more pictures.

A couple of questions for you:
  1. Any idea what would cause the red on its face?
  2. Could the copper be causing this kind of irritation? My powder blue tang made it through the same QT procedure and did not nearly show as much stress.
  3. I'm not seeing as much improvement on the ich on its fin, should I try increasing the copper or trying a different medication?
Thank you very much for your time in advance Jay, you're a legend
Copper can cause erythema in some fish, but bacterial issues can as well. Copper Power is pretty well tolerated. I think copper is the best treatment for ich, however it is possible for a fish to have multiple issues at the same time. Have you tried a FW dip? I still worry that the tank size is causing at least some of the stress.
Jay

OP
OP
VanCityReef

VanCityReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper can cause erythema in some fish, but bacterial issues can as well. Copper Power is pretty well tolerated. I think copper is the best treatment for ich, however it is possible for a fish to have multiple issues at the same time. Have you tried a FW dip? I still worry that the tank size is causing at least some of the stress.
Jay
Thanks for the quick response!

I added a new picture where you can see her face and left fin. I am actually just noticing today that there are small holes in the fin :(.

I have not tried a FW dip with this fish. I did it with my PBT and the experience nearly gave me a heart attack the way they freak out. She already is quite scared of me and just stressed in general, do you think this is still a good idea? I don't want to stress her out, even more, however, I trust your expertise.

SinisterSpawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you giving the tang any seaweed or greens of any sort ? They are natural grazers and depend on the algea and seaweed they eat .

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
FW dip is safe when fish is placed in bucket with same water temperature as tank.
As Jay mentioned and meant to say...... 20 gallon tank is very small for any tang and would cause stress alone not to mention potential for sudden rise in ammonia or nitrate.
A couple pics show a healthy tang while a couple show unhappy fish.
Flukes, and crypto are possibilities but not noted in pics
FW bath would address flukes if any.
What is your :
Ammonia
Nitrate
Temperature
Salinity
Ph

what test kits are you using ?

looks like a nip out of the tail in which clowns would be likely culprits.
Keep an eye on little holes. No sense planning treatment if it’s nothing
Do assure proper diet:

Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract

Spirulina brine shrimp
LRS herbivore diet
Mysis shrimp
Small plankton
Formula 2 flake and frozen

Add selcon vitamins and garlic extract to the foods for stamina and immunity health

OP
OP
VanCityReef

VanCityReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FW dip is safe when fish is placed in bucket with same water temperature as tank.
As Jay mentioned and meant to say...... 20 gallon tank is very small for any tang and would cause stress alone not to mention potential for sudden rise in ammonia or nitrate.
A couple pics show a healthy tang while a couple show unhappy fish.
Flukes, and crypto are possibilities but not noted in pics
FW bath would address flukes if any.
What is your :
Ammonia
Nitrate
Temperature
Salinity
Ph

what test kits are you using ?

looks like a nip out of the tail in which clowns would be likely culprits.
Keep an eye on little holes. No sense planning treatment if it’s nothing
Do assure proper diet:

Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract

Spirulina brine shrimp
LRS herbivore diet
Mysis shrimp
Small plankton
Formula 2 flake and frozen

Add selcon vitamins and garlic extract to the foods for stamina and immunity health
Thank you for this very comprehensive response.

Using the salifert test kits, these were my results from this morning
ammonia is barely detectible
nitrates under 10
temp is 25.7-26.7C
salinity 1.024
ph - haven't test yet, will get back to you

Do you still suspect flukes even after 8 days of praziquantel?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you for this very comprehensive response.

Using the salifert test kits, these were my results from this morning
ammonia is barely detectible
nitrates under 10
temp is 25.7-26.7C
salinity 1.024
ph - haven't test yet, will get back to you

Do you still suspect flukes even after 8 days of praziquantel?
It’s possible on flukes. Oodinum will also place white dots on eye
FW dip will offer relief or temporary relief

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it does look like tiny holes in the fins, not sure what that could be other than a mild bacterial infection? So in this last picture, the fish looks bloated to me - maybe just the angle of the shot?

I agree that FW dips can freak fish out, but they won't die from it unless they are near death anyway. The reason behind the dip isn't to "cure" but rather to see if it offers any relief, and then, to check the bottom of the dip container for flukes.

Jay

OP
OP
VanCityReef

VanCityReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it does look like tiny holes in the fins, not sure what that could be other than a mild bacterial infection? So in this last picture, the fish looks bloated to me - maybe just the angle of the shot?

I agree that FW dips can freak fish out, but they won't die from it unless they are near death anyway. The reason behind the dip isn't to "cure" but rather to see if it offers any relief, and then, to check the bottom of the dip container for flukes.

Jay
Okay, I will give a FW dip a try this evening. Do you know what those markings are on her head/face? It has gotten much worse today.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I will give a FW dip a try this evening. Do you know what those markings are on her head/face? It has gotten much worse today.
Can you post a new image? I'm just not seeing any redness, just some slightly enlarged skin pores.

Jay

OP
OP
VanCityReef

VanCityReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a new image? I'm just not seeing any redness, just some slightly enlarged skin pores.

Jay
In that last picture that you said that looks a bit bloated and you can see the holes in the fin, on top of the head you can see some dark markings. Or are those enlarged skin pores?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that last picture that you said that looks a bit bloated and you can see the holes in the fin, on top of the head you can see some dark markings. Or are those enlarged skin pores?
Those are enlarged skin pores. I don't see those as an indicator of any primary disease issue. Is the ripped dorsal fin healing at all yet?

Jay

OP
OP
VanCityReef

VanCityReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are enlarged skin pores. I don't see those as an indicator of any primary disease issue. Is the ripped dorsal fin healing at all yet?

Jay
Okay is enlarged skin pores okay for the fish? Is it anything to be worried about?

Do you suspect the stuff on the fin to be anything like ich/velvet/etc? Should I continue treating with copper?

Also FYI, the clowns have been a big source of stress for the YT. I put in a divider for the time being. Hopefully, that will help her relax and with your help, I can figure out how to get her back to health and on her way into the main display!

Thanks again Jay!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back