Fuhhcue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am new to corals and I’ve been prepping my tank for 16 months. I wanted to start with Xenia and green star polyps. I know the polyps are weeds, but I really love the way they look. Anyway, I finally bought some Xenia three days ago and they’ve been placed in the tank last night. My Xenia have shrunk so small. All my parameters are correct. I checked them against live aquaria and vivid aquarium BEFORE I bought the coral. I think I’ve given as much info as I can.
mob, I have a 75 gallon tank. I have 2 current USA lead strips and a FluvalSmart light since my ai’s were shorted out.

94536ACA-2A69-4357-A2B8-140CCFF0B3AE.jpeg 58E4BB76-77A3-49E6-898F-F56C3AF413F3.jpeg 8AC90B36-A4F9-4073-AC79-509FDBA6C0A4.jpeg

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk I am struggling with some LPS so I am about to go pick up some xenia to give me something easier...

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May just take some time to adjust to its new environment. I know you said your parameters are good but what are they? What else is in the tank?

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give it some more time if it's just been 3 days. It took mine like a week+ to get comfortable and open up. Even if your parameters are correct they could be different than the previous water holding it.
What intensity do you have your current USA lights set to? I used to have those too.

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have saw when I used to grow Xenia like weeds - they like really random flow patterns on them. Throw them on a spot on the rock that has a cross current so they will be hit from both ways alternately. They really don't care too much about light from what I have seen. They do well on my sandbed and at the top of my rocks. They really like Reef Roids and that will aid in them growing way out of proportions.
One last thing, though... my brother-in-law used to be able to grow all kinds of LPS and SPS in his tank but could not for the life of him grow Xenia even though him and I bought the frags from the same fish store a day apart.
Could have been that his water was a lot cleaner than mine.... just food for though!

OP
OP
F

Fuhhcue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give it some more time if it's just been 3 days. It took mine like a week+ to get comfortable and open up. Even if your parameters are correct they could be different than the previous water holding it.
What intensity do you have your current USA lights set to? I used to have those too.
Thanks for your response. I have the lights set to go 80 on blue and 75 white at max.

OP
OP
F

Fuhhcue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have saw when I used to grow Xenia like weeds - they like really random flow patterns on them. Throw them on a spot on the rock that has a cross current so they will be hit from both ways alternately. They really don't care too much about light from what I have seen. They do well on my sandbed and at the top of my rocks. They really like Reef Roids and that will aid in them growing way out of proportions.
One last thing, though... my brother-in-law used to be able to grow all kinds of LPS and SPS in his tank but could not for the life of him grow Xenia even though him and I bought the frags from the same fish store a day apart.
Could have been that his water was a lot cleaner than mine.... just food for though!
Placement is what I struggle with. I figured I’d leave them in the middle of the rock. I’ll move them to the center of the sand bed.

OP
OP
F

Fuhhcue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May just take some time to adjust to its new environment. I know you said your parameters are good but what are they? What else is in the tank?

im going to do another check in the morning. I’ll reply with the parameters then.
Thanks for the response.

VictoryBell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I added my Xenia it took awhile for it to stop being angry. ( I think at least a week. ) In my experience it’s a real drama queen if disturbed. I would give it time.

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters? And they tend to do good with a little phosphate

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you have sufficient nutrients, example 5-10ppm nitrate and 0.03-.1 phosphate.
They die in nutrient poor water.
BA94B622-5E0F-49A9-BD2C-E1BE448332FF.jpeg

OP
OP
F

Fuhhcue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you have sufficient nutrients, example 5-10ppm nitrate and 0.03-.1 phosphate.
They die in nutrient poor water.
BA94B622-5E0F-49A9-BD2C-E1BE448332FF.jpeg
How can you tell the difference between them adjusting and them dying?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can you tell the difference between them adjusting and them dying?
Xenia melt, so to speak. Curled up tight into like they look is normal for new Xenia. They might be weeds, but are drama queens lol, so just keep an eye on them give them time to adjust.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 23 35.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back