helppppp...algae problems after ciclyin

johanngh1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is my first post in reef2reef, every day I read and learn from this wonderful site, and although it took several years in the hobby, now I like I'm back to start and do not know what is happening .... I started this tank 75g using products of "aquaforest" probiotic reef salt, my water is ro / di, a new system 100gpd, 4 stages from bulk reef supply,my rock was dry rock from brs, my salt is 1026, temperature 77 * f , reef octopus 150 sss skimmer, gfo and carbon dual reactor from bulk reef supply, return pump reef octopus dc varioS 6 circulation pump, Jebao RW4 and Jebao RW8, and my lighting is a ATI 48 "6 bulbs system, my spectrum is 2 ati blue plus, 2 ati actinic, 1 ati coral plus and 1 ati purple plus .... in my short experience, before I used radions, aqua illumination and my favorite the kessil a360 we never had problems with algae, since switch to t5, I swear that this has been a kaos , I have a 35-gallon cube with a fixture Coralife 4 bulbs ati , and also I had great problems seaweed everywhere, I use a dosing pump to supplement alkalinity and calcium, but this is out of control ... and the truth I have become very pessimistic about this new project ... someone please help me

20160904_145704.jpg

20160904_145711.jpg

20160904_145719.jpg

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old are your bulbs? Algae loves "bad" light. If you bulbs are over a year old, Their spectrum has shifted and you should replace them. Also look into setting up an ATS.

OP
OP
johanngh1977

johanngh1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate that a minute to be taken good advice ... my bulbs only have a month, as the whole system is new ... in the first 10 days leave my lights off, after that just started using my 2 lights actinics on for about 4 hours a day later, maybe 10 days i started using all the lights, starting the cycle for 1 hour 2 actinics , 1 hour later the other 4 bulbs by around 6 hours and then ...1 hour 2 actinics then all off

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae can be part of a new tank and cycle. Algae needs light and nutrients. Nutrients (Nitrates and Phosphates) can be gotten rid of via water changes, chemical binding like Phosban or being used by algae or something else that needs nutrients. In your case, up your water changes and since there are no coral or other photosynthetic life forms in the tank, turn off the light until it is gone. Your rocks will leach out phosphates for awhile as well. You could set up an ATS (algae turf scrubber) to provide an optimal place for algae to grow. It then grows on the ATS and not in the tank as it will consume all available nutrients.

Have you tested for phosphates and nitrates? Did you start with all RO/DI water? I ask because sometimes people start with tap water since it is easier. If so, you would pick up a lot of nutrients from the tap-water.

Brandon42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you cure your rocks? I have a similar set up and got BRS dry pukani for mine and didn't cure, ended up with some serious phosphates leaching out of my rock ended up giving such a bad algae bloom it turned my whole tank green!

cnseekatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae is a perfectly normal, and necessary part of a new tank cycle. You will have several different types of algae come and go before your tank is cycled and ready for livestock. As your system works its way from Ammonia to Nitrites to Nitrates, you'll see a different progression of brown, red and then green algae. I would recommend that you change NOTHING until the green algae blooms. Then (and not before)you can start doing water changes, and add a small cleanup crew (snails mostly). If you do this, the green algae WILL disappear in time. At that point, your cycle will be done, and your tank safe for fish and corals.

OP
OP
johanngh1977

johanngh1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my rock was not cured, I thought as dry permission of bulk reef supply, he was clean, the system now has about 35 days, I do not use algae scrubber, but from the beginning I run a dual reactor from brs with charcoal and gfo, and my skimmer "reef octopus 150 sss" is doing a very good job taking a lot of crap from day 1 .... my water is 100% ro / di my new system four stage from brs, I've only used the salt "aquaforest" and just now I'm giving some pellets to my 2 blue damsels, I have not agragado anything to the tank, only the "bio s" from aquaforest nitrifying bacteria for star-up & amonia reduction ...
ph-8.3
amonia -0
nitrite-0
5 days ago nitrate--0
I have not checked phosphate yet

and im not make any water change at this point

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I setup my 75gl and after cycling I got that exact same algae and I was worried also. The algae stayed for a few weeks and slowly started to go away, I also added a few turbo snails and they destroyed the algae also.

OP
OP
johanngh1977

johanngh1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well my friend, that's my hope ja ja jaaa ... when this algae came was smaller, more compact, now has grown a lot but it's like more, sorry my English is not very good .... now has become a bit more "transparent, smoother, and less solid and compact" but now its 3 times more bigger ...i put around 10 red leg hermit crab ... really I do not see that they have played a lot this algae...RECOMENDATION ??? FOR ALGAE EATERS???

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gfo and carbon dual reactor

Are you using these currently or just have them? If you are using them, are you sure this is algae and not a bacteria? How much skimmate are you pulling out right now?

OP
OP
johanngh1977

johanngh1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well my skimmer has a large cup, every week at least once sack and clean, I would say that it could at least be about 40-60 ml, dark skimmate, always my skimmer is working pulling waste

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and welcome to the site! :)

If I had to guess you probably have a bacteria issue caused by your carbon dosing. However, I am not an experienced reefer so lets see if we can get your some better help than I can offer. #reefsquad

OP
OP
johanngh1977

johanngh1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks my friend , really im not sure whats going on here ...you know its frustrating...

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate that a minute to be taken good advice ... my bulbs only have a month, as the whole system is new ... in the first 10 days leave my lights off, after that just started using my 2 lights actinics on for about 4 hours a day later, maybe 10 days i started using all the lights, starting the cycle for 1 hour 2 actinics , 1 hour later the other 4 bulbs by around 6 hours and then ...1 hour 2 actinics then all off
HI Welcome to R2R.

Bummer about the tank. Every, EVERY tank is different. I have 3 im looking at that should be the same. They are not.

yea normal. young tank stuff.

Last edited:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae is a perfectly normal, and necessary part of a new tank cycle. You will have several different types of algae come and go before your tank is cycled and ready for livestock. As your system works its way from Ammonia to Nitrites to Nitrates, you'll see a different progression of brown, red and then green algae. I would recommend that you change NOTHING until the green algae blooms. Then (and not before)you can start doing water changes, and add a small cleanup crew (snails mostly). If you do this, the green algae WILL disappear in time. At that point, your cycle will be done, and your tank safe for fish and corals.
this.
I think you are just having an odd cycle. starting all dry and having only one seed besides the fish and CUC.
Yes snail recommendations.

Last edited:
OP
OP
johanngh1977

johanngh1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all of you make me very happy, thank you, thank you very much for your time and good advice, really am very concerned because you know one puts all the effort and desire, passion ... and the moment you some algae destroy the illusions and desire ..... in about 5 minutes I will tell you about my phosphates, I have the red sea pro test kit... will see

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all of you make me very happy, thank you, thank you very much for your time and good advice, really am very concerned because you know one puts all the effort and desire, passion ... and the moment you some algae destroy the illusions and desire ..... in about 5 minutes I will tell you about my phosphates, I have the red sea pro test kit... will see
Yup its tough. FWIW I just cycled a tank dry for the first time in years with NO seeding help from my other tanks. And yes I got weird algaes and diatoms I never had in a "skip cycle" build using fully cured or old used rocks..
Its not your parameters at this point there's nothing you can or need to do IMO. its CUC time, and maybe a toothbrush.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back