PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang... sorry to hear about your struggle man... just caught up reading your thread and was shocked when i read the recent stuff going on... thats terrible! You will get through it... your a smart dude... let me know if there is anything I can do to help... I dont live too far away... I mean, I do, but not that far... hahaha!!! Goodluck my friend!!!!

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the "All things QT" links, if you want to check some of this info out before getting started:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/thread-links-to-all-things-quarantine-fish-inverts.602917/

I'd say, if your plan is to treat them all together, 40g would be the minimum tank size I would use. Fallow period for brook/velvet is 6 weeks, ich is 76 days (the longest known dormant encysted strain was 72 days, plus a 4-day buffer) Snails, crabs, corals, etc can't host parasites so they can stay... just no fish.

If you want to split them up, I'd keep the wrasses together in one tank and the heavily afflicted in the other. Can split up the rest however you'd like... but wrasses don't always tolerate copper so well, so it would be better for them to ramp the copper up over 4-5 days. Obviously, the tangs and heavily-covered fish don't have have the liberty of the same ramp-up time, so that tank you would want to reach therapeutic sooner (2-3 days max).

I use cupramine (ionic copper), and have for quite some time. But, many prefer to use copper power (chelated copper) with more sensitive fish like wrasses. Whichever copper you get, you'll need a corresponding test kit. For chelated, you'll need a high-range kit like API. If you go with ionic, Seachem makes a test kit specifically for use with cupramine that works pretty well. There is also a reference test included so that you can double check that you have actually reached therapuetic. Hanna checker will do both.

Therapuetic level for chelated copper is 1.75-2.0
For ionic, it's .5

You want to keep the level as steady as possible during treatment. Dose water-change water before it goes into the tank to ensure there is no fluctuations, even momentarily. And test frequently, at least daily for the first couple of weeks. You might see the level drop a bit initially as the tank/equipment/sand for wrasses absorb some, but it should be minimal. Don't use live rock or any other porous media that can make absorption worse. Copper treatment is 30 days for a single QT, or 14 if you are able to transfer them to another clean QT for observation after. IF you separate them for the copper treatment, they can come back together for the observation period in a single QT. Don't lower the copper level prior to transfer.

I'd also dose an antibiotic (Furan-2 and/or kanaplex are fine to use with copper) in with the heavily covered fish. Metroplex is another good idea for both tanks, for the antibiotic properties and also the off-chance there is brooklynella involved here. Antibiotics should be used for at least 10 days, or as long as 14 if needed. Should do water changes as instructed, dosing copper into the new water first as mentioned above.

Ammonia test kits won't work in copper, so you'll need an Ammonia Alert Badge, and plenty of Bio-Spira or other bottled bacteria products to manage ammonia. Do NOT use Prime or other chemical ammonia reducers, they amplify copper toxicity tenfold and will kill all of your fish.

Make sure to keep the QT well aerated, power-head(s) aimed at the surface and an air-stone. Meds can deplete O2 fairly quickly, so this is important.

I'm not sure I can think of anything else off of the top of my head right now, but read through those links and send me a message or tag if you aren't sure about something and I can try to talk you through it :)
Thank you! All that info is perfect. Thank you guys as well, @HotRocks @4FordFamily , great info.
My clown passed away this morning :( he was my first sw fish :( , he will be missed. Currently having his cadaver sit in RODI, looking for flukes..

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang... sorry to hear about your struggle man... just caught up reading your thread and was shocked when i read the recent stuff going on... thats terrible! You will get through it... your a smart dude... let me know if there is anything I can do to help... I dont live too far away... I mean, I do, but not that far... hahaha!!! Goodluck my friend!!!!
Thanks dude! Yea this sucks, even more frustrating I didn’t add anything wet, so I can’t even blame it on a fish or even a frag :(

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry for your loss as well, especially with the emotional attachment of being your first fish :( Ugh...
Yea :(
Just so others can learn and stuff; I RODI soaked my clown. A few things fell off him. Are these flukes? Very sorry for the graphic nature of this pic.

37889D05-DD2D-463E-B7EC-732E15628FB4.jpeg

Below his gills are little crumb looking things.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea :(
Just so others can learn and stuff; I RODI soaked my clown. A few things fell off him. Are these flukes? Very sorry for the graphic nature of this pic.

37889D05-DD2D-463E-B7EC-732E15628FB4.jpeg

Below his gills are little crumb looking things.

They look a bit small to be *adult* flukes, at least. They are more sesame seed size and shaped. How long do you think it was between his passing and the dip? A lot of times by the time we find the body, most of the parasites have already moved on :/

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look a bit small to be *adult* flukes, at least. They are more sesame seed size and shaped. How long do you think it was between his passing and the dip? A lot of times by the time we find the body, most of the parasites have already moved on :/
I checked on him at 3am and he was still moving, then at 10am I found him dead and immediately put it in RODI. He’s been in there an hour now. Makes sense about the parasites moving on. :(

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tragic my guy. Good luck with whatever treatment methods you deploy. My three striped damsel was my first fish ~9 yrs ago. I think I would quit if she passed.
Thanks brother, yea this really is hitting me harder than I thought it would, it’s so hard to see them go when you’ve had them a long time :( I’ve never been great with death :(

kapnkush608

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks brother, yea this really is hitting me harder than I thought it would, it’s so hard to see them go when you’ve had them a long time :( I’ve never been great with death :(
Losing my Sailfin ,Pac Man, after 6yrs was hard especially since I feel really guilty for neglecting tank maintenance when I started college. We actually buried him like a pet in the garden and planted tulips next to him. I still feel like a p.o.s. when I look at old pictures and he's in at least 75% of them.

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang. The pic of your clown makes it more real on this end. Its heartbreaking. I have those 2 hob filters i can lend you, but i am guessing you dont want to wait the couple of days for them to show up. Give me a heads up and I will get them shipped out with the filter cartridges for the one and precut filter floss for the other.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! All that info is perfect. Thank you guys as well, @HotRocks @4FordFamily , great info.
My clown passed away this morning :( he was my first sw fish :( , he will be missed. Currently having his cadaver sit in RODI, looking for flukes..
Ugh sorry to hear that. Hopefully better luck with the remaining fish!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m crossing my fingers for you, but there is definitely a time-bomb aspect to velvet :( They’ve been holding it off for an impressive amount of time.

Even some of the ones that *look* clean could be heavily infested in the gills. I just want to make sure you are prepared... some might not make it through the dips to even get started on treatment... and some might not recover even after the copper is brought up to level. Sometimes the damage is already too great in the gills, despite our best efforts.

Try not to be too hard on yourself during the process. It’s not easy. I’ve been there, twice actually. And both times I lost nearly all of my fish. The second time, I tried to treat them but it was just too late and I didn’t have the knowledge that I do now (Or R2R for that matter, at the time wetwebmedia was the best resource for fish disease treatment, and if you’ve ever read there.... it’s not always easy to find what you need and the advice is quite dated in some cases)

But, it’s also what made me become so passionate about QT and fish disease treatment... and I likely wouldn’t be here now, if not for those experiences. If you save more than one or two fish, you are already doing much better than I did...

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 108 81.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back