RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man :) , things were fluorescing very nicely tonight.
I'm picking up a timer tomorrow and a few other things to put to use my old fluval marine strip.

Thinking on the blue channel, 4 hrs on during peak..to help with shadowing a bit I hope. And then back on for an hour at night after the hydras shut off. Idk...

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
38B7A808-971D-4575-83F8-473F7025A1F4.jpeg
26F9C320-6CAA-4C23-ADDD-401693357188.jpeg
4A224CAD-247D-4607-BA89-8B53895850FA.jpeg
1B764971-CB29-4F5E-90B7-8D0E0FDEF5E9.jpeg
EAA84814-64A4-4A72-9129-63E4BE488D71.jpeg

Boom!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral loss wasn’t as bad as I was expecting.
83D55FD4-4496-490C-B14A-144589F2963C.jpeg

Austera rtn but WD , PC Superman and others nearby were fine.
5D2FCFAC-805B-4FC2-B1BC-C29594262C7F.jpeg

Purple stag stn but slowed down now. I think it might live.
856B8B3C-85BF-4856-B91B-D33CFB77121C.jpeg

Birdsnest stn on the tips, but it’s already recovering. This coral grows so quick.

Things could be much worse. Thankful for what I have.

Hello,

First off sorry I haven’t been able to keep up on your thread I promise I’m trying. Some days it’s hard just to manage my own. But sorry for the fish loss and now corals. With that said on your purple stag, I have two growing extremely well, (granted all of my corals kinda stopped their growth spurt), but your welcome to a good three inch frag when you have things settled. My water is pretty clean so, not sure on yours but I keep everything like alk at 7-8 and cal 420-440, and mag 1350-1390. My nitrates are maybe 1-2 and phosphates are well under .25, and salinity at 1.025. I still dose like 10ml of nopox and I stopped dosing trace elements. Will do 30 gallon water change tomorrow for giggles. See if that helps st all but so far things sps wise doing great. I have a few lps I’m nursing back but I cut the time of light down by 2 hours and intensity as well. I will cut another 2 hours this Sunday but keep the same intensity. Maybe raise nutrients a little bit, maybe I have too much trace minerals in the water. Fish are doing excellent and really getting fat from when I changed the food. Dropping a 500 mg tablet and 500 b12 daily has really calmed my fish down. I’m trying reef roids for the first time and did it with no flow and spot fed. I don’t see the hype it’s identical to the coral feed for 7.99 and has the same nutrients in it? Maybe it’s magic or who knows maybe it’s a name. Anyway sorry I have missed and I promise to go back and catch up further back. Just been studying for my step 3 and two orals and another written that’s end of July. Have you figured the cause yet, I can assure you it’s easier said than done and I can’t even figure why mine won’t consume alk and calcium and mag as normal. I can’t figure why my frogspawn loves life and is going crazy insane and great colors and growing fast. No idea why my blue and green hammer that’s almost 100 heads isn’t big and fluffy and restricted. It’s not dying but sure looks mad st me for something. I lost part of my afterburner chalice and fragged it into five pieces. The first piece where I knew nothing was on is still hanging on, but the others rtn in two days. All from being dropped on my Miami hurricane for a few seconds. I even immediately cut the section off and super glued the edge and still proceeded. It’s a mystery I’m having more problems with lps than sps (isn’t that the other way around). Even my softies are doing great in the super clean water. But I hope you fifife it out and I have never shipped corals before so (I need really good sound advice (please no golfers (there advice was terrible when I played golf today), but I will frag a 3 inch purple stag and some other sps if you want). I can’t assume your lights are that more intense than mine but you never know now a days. Lps I’m not certain how to frag unless it’s like a plate aka mystic sunset (need to frag it badly, tequila sunrise (frag also), Red plating monti, and I have a massive massive massive birdsnest the same as yours and a green one (want a soft ball size frag of each) they grow like weeds. I have some others Miami hurricane pink bxxxxbies (hate that name), Jedi kind trick, monster bxxxxbies (what’s with bxxxxxbies good grief, but that would have to be a smaller frag I have some other purple sps I can frag, my forest fire digi, (grows like crazy), green hydrophora, some unknown sps but pretty, sure I could drag the frogspawn and hammer but caution on my hammer. But always willing to help one that goes through a loss. It’s hard and one can well they will lose s lot of money but with me I’m a softy it really bugs me if I lose something. I do my best to keep them healthy and my hands out of my tank. Maybe try making your tank simpler, by testing and dosing manually yourself. Maybe an auto doser went nuts, (so many options take a pick), but if you tell me how to ship it I can and will. If it’s on a day that I work then I can have a family member drop it off for me just in case. I could ask my lfs as well since they are pros at it. But I’m willing to help fix what’s wrong and get you back on track.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, man! The corals are lookin' good
They are super happy! All my snails and urchin had a mass spawning event Monday morning, so all the corals got a really good feeding from that. It made my skimmer go nuts but the coral loved it! :)
ACF643FE-D7FA-436F-8FB0-7961E3193FFC.jpeg

C765CB51-EFE4-426F-8E0E-93BDAD452706.jpeg

So cloudy from spawn juice

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

First off sorry I haven’t been able to keep up on your thread I promise I’m trying. Some days it’s hard just to manage my own. But sorry for the fish loss and now corals. With that said on your purple stag, I have two growing extremely well, (granted all of my corals kinda stopped their growth spurt), but your welcome to a good three inch frag when you have things settled. My water is pretty clean so, not sure on yours but I keep everything like alk at 7-8 and cal 420-440, and mag 1350-1390. My nitrates are maybe 1-2 and phosphates are well under .25, and salinity at 1.025. I still dose like 10ml of nopox and I stopped dosing trace elements. Will do 30 gallon water change tomorrow for giggles. See if that helps st all but so far things sps wise doing great. I have a few lps I’m nursing back but I cut the time of light down by 2 hours and intensity as well. I will cut another 2 hours this Sunday but keep the same intensity. Maybe raise nutrients a little bit, maybe I have too much trace minerals in the water. Fish are doing excellent and really getting fat from when I changed the food. Dropping a 500 mg tablet and 500 b12 daily has really calmed my fish down. I’m trying reef roids for the first time and did it with no flow and spot fed. I don’t see the hype it’s identical to the coral feed for 7.99 and has the same nutrients in it? Maybe it’s magic or who knows maybe it’s a name. Anyway sorry I have missed and I promise to go back and catch up further back. Just been studying for my step 3 and two orals and another written that’s end of July. Have you figured the cause yet, I can assure you it’s easier said than done and I can’t even figure why mine won’t consume alk and calcium and mag as normal. I can’t figure why my frogspawn loves life and is going crazy insane and great colors and growing fast. No idea why my blue and green hammer that’s almost 100 heads isn’t big and fluffy and restricted. It’s not dying but sure looks mad st me for something. I lost part of my afterburner chalice and fragged it into five pieces. The first piece where I knew nothing was on is still hanging on, but the others rtn in two days. All from being dropped on my Miami hurricane for a few seconds. I even immediately cut the section off and super glued the edge and still proceeded. It’s a mystery I’m having more problems with lps than sps (isn’t that the other way around). Even my softies are doing great in the super clean water. But I hope you fifife it out and I have never shipped corals before so (I need really good sound advice (please no golfers (there advice was terrible when I played golf today), but I will frag a 3 inch purple stag and some other sps if you want). I can’t assume your lights are that more intense than mine but you never know now a days. Lps I’m not certain how to frag unless it’s like a plate aka mystic sunset (need to frag it badly, tequila sunrise (frag also), Red plating monti, and I have a massive massive massive birdsnest the same as yours and a green one (want a soft ball size frag of each) they grow like weeds. I have some others Miami hurricane pink bxxxxbies (hate that name), Jedi kind trick, monster bxxxxbies (what’s with bxxxxxbies good grief, but that would have to be a smaller frag I have some other purple sps I can frag, my forest fire digi, (grows like crazy), green hydrophora, some unknown sps but pretty, sure I could drag the frogspawn and hammer but caution on my hammer. But always willing to help one that goes through a loss. It’s hard and one can well they will lose s lot of money but with me I’m a softy it really bugs me if I lose something. I do my best to keep them healthy and my hands out of my tank. Maybe try making your tank simpler, by testing and dosing manually yourself. Maybe an auto doser went nuts, (so many options take a pick), but if you tell me how to ship it I can and will. If it’s on a day that I work then I can have a family member drop it off for me just in case. I could ask my lfs as well since they are pros at it. But I’m willing to help fix what’s wrong and get you back on track.
The coral and fish loss was a result of a 17 1/2 hour power outage combo with 90+ degree temps , I’m surprised I didn’t lose more coral. Thank you so much for the coral offers! Once things settle down I’m going to pull the rocks, grab the remaining fish and put them in my hospital tank, deep clean my sandbed, rescape, place my corals in new spots. If I have some space I might take you up on your offer ;). Then 76 day fallow, and we try again.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I like about Seachem Matrix bio-media, is it keeps nutrients STABLE. Nutrients don't drop to zero, and they don't easily climb. It just keeps things rock solid. When I ran bare bottom I had low nutrients problems -- I had to dose a whole bunch of nitrates and phosphates to keep corals alive. Even with 11 fish at that time, including 3 big eating wrasse... No good.

I've seen most people do not have that problem I had. Maybe for you, and your tank, bare bottom is ideal. Might do you well to consider it.. It would also help your fallow period.

@Sarah24! -- If you need information on how to ship just ask me, I asked a buddy here a bunch of annoying questions to figure it all out. You feel a little nervous at first, but honestly I pack way better than most people, and I've had corals show up in leaky ziplock bags just fine... So if you want a simple walkthrough just let me know.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I like about Seachem Matrix bio-media, is it keeps nutrients STABLE. Nutrients don't drop to zero, and they don't easily climb. It just keeps things rock solid. When I ran bare bottom I had low nutrients problems -- I had to dose a whole bunch of nitrates and phosphates to keep corals alive. Even with 11 fish at that time, including 3 big eating wrasse... No good.

I've seen most people do not have that problem I had. Maybe for you, and your tank, bare bottom is ideal. Might do you well to consider it.. It would also help your fallow period.

@Sarah24! -- If you need information on how to ship just ask me, I asked a buddy here a bunch of annoying questions to figure it all out. You feel a little nervous at first, but honestly I pack way better than most people, and I've had corals show up in leaky ziplock bags just fine... So if you want a simple walkthrough just let me know.
I was considering it. Not sure how I’d get my rocks to stand fully without sand support. Worth a shot during rescape though. Matrix is pretty good, I used it in my biocube for a long time.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have maxspect gyres and mp’s. I have the battery backup it just doesn’t last long. It lasted me 5 hours :(

Last power outage was five days the week before I started my WaterBox 230 and 10 days the outage before that. Sooooo whole home generator with automatic transfer switch hooked up to 500 gallon propane tank and an app (Apex like) for my phone was promptly installed.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow tang didn’t make it. He was looking very velvetish last night. My thought was let the fish recover from the power outage in the 90 and not stress them more before starting the non visually sick fish in qt. I also didn’t want to remove all the rocks while my coral was stressed and sps having rtn. It didn’t seem like the best time to be doing a rescape and all.

I liked that fish, had him almost 2 years. I’ll be alright, just figured I’d keep you all updated.

The tank looks so empty I hate it :(

Just catching up! Sorry to hear that.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea very true. I have been thinking some about what I want to get for the 90 after a fallow period. I was overstocked before so I want to avoid that again. I think I want more fish but smaller groups, less big individuals.
I do think tang wise I would look into a white tail bristletooth. That’s about as far as I’ve gotten... :( lol.

My white tail is much better looking than I anticipated! And very utilitarian! Look into Marine Collectors and talk to Elliot Kim. He does a great job with building a stock plan and QT’s for you.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My white tail is much better looking than I anticipated! And very utilitarian! Look into Marine Collectors and talk to Elliot Kim. He does a great job with building a stock plan and QT’s for you.
Really? That would be exceptional!

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last power outage was five days the week before I started my WaterBox 230 and 10 days the outage before that. Sooooo whole home generator with automatic transfer switch hooked up to 500 gallon propane tank and an app (Apex like) for my phone was promptly installed.
Now that’s a backup plan! Haha. That’s my goal once I have a house. So expensive here... anything worth living in 3-4K sqft is over 2 million. Something nice 5000+sqft-ish is 8-12. It’s ridiculous. My condo is 1.2 and it’s far from nice lol.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double post, but dang that’s a long power outage !

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that’s a backup plan! Haha. That’s my goal once I have a house. So expensive here... anything worth living in 3-4K sqft is over 2 million. Something nice 5000+sqft-ish is 8-12. It’s ridiculous. My condo is 1.2 and it’s far from nice lol.

Dang! I have over 6K with over 5 acres and didn’t pay but s fraction of that here in the heartland.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As far as Matrix is concerned, I've been running a high-quality pumice in my FW tank for quite a while. I based my decision to use pumice instead of Matrix on the info contained in this link. It is very interesting and informative.

https://www.plantedtank.net/#/topics/1045898?page=16

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dang! I have over 6K with over 5 acres and didn’t pay but s fraction of that here in the heartland.

Have to remember it's the SF bay area and the pricing is silly. However, it is quickly approaching the price points of most employees not being able to afford living there. I believe it the prices will plateau and start dropping pretty soon.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to remember it's the SF bay area and the pricing is silly. However, it is quickly approaching the price points of modt employees not being able to afford living there. I believe it the prices will plateau and start dropping pretty soon.
True. A lot of the issue is the big companies subsidize housing for the employees. They give them like 10grand a month living costs on top of their normal salary. It’s ridiculous.
If your like me and don’t work for a big tech company, your kinda screwed. Most people I know here work for google, Apple, fb. I’m like walking distance from Apple’s new main HQ.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lucky man. I miss it out there. I lived in State College, PA for 9 years, I loved it.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people I know here work for google, Apple, fb. .
Every person I knew well when I lived in San Francisco in the late nineties works for those three companies now. Crazy.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back