Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why’s that? My 3 little blue legs haven’t seemed to bother much. Do emeralds eat elva?

My hermits seem to knock over everything, without really eating anything.

I honestly don't even know what ulva is........ I am still pretty green!

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought an emerald because why not and it liked to chew on my green kenya tree. it'd close up and look crappy for a hot minute, but didn't seem to bother it overall. pretty sure kenya trees are nuke proof tho. i chopped that thing off at the stem and a month later it's growing again :eek:

for whatever reason, that crab didn't last very long. found it dead after like 2 or so months. i don't have any bubble algae *knocks on wood* so no real need for another

i did try to make sure to get a female as they stay smaller and are (according to some) more coral safe. shrug. there is a thread on here about emeralds not being reef safe somewhere

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way! What trouble are you getting into there?

I have some meetings up in Allentown and at Penn State Hershey medical center so I’m hanging with my brother who lives here. Then it’s white water rafting all week in WV.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea :( lol. Anything invert wise ?

Well it does go good on a fresh burger and I have meet some spineless humans sooooo

But I have had pencil urchins that chomp that stuff down like there is no tomorrow but they also ate my GSP!

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Hermits would be preferable if they actually eat it, since I’ll be fallow the rest of the summer. I don’t know much about sea hares, they get big don’t they? Do they mess with coral? Now that my tangs are gone it’s springing up everywhere and doubling every night lol.

Ahhh yes I had sea hates too. Mine never got big! They never messed with my coral either. 1 mans opinion. You know what they say ...you met one Amish man ...you met one Amish man... kind of like opinions or reef experiences

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still in the early phases of every aspect of running a reef tank...... never had so much as a goldfish pre-2019 actually.....

I have 10 trochus and 10 nasarius snails in my 20g, but will get more, and my 75 has about 10 hermits, 15+ emeralds, (I love those guys) 20 or so various snails (I will probably get another 50 for the new tank) and random cleaner shrimp etc.

I keep checking for snails etc. when I stop in my local shop, but they usually have "a few" and I would rather buy 20+ at a time! I think I'll just put in an order for 50......

Any reason you don't have emeralds? They never seem to bother anything for me...... Hermits can be a pain, I get that!

My hermits always killing snails. My emeralds...love em

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are fun to watch...... sure, they may crawl across something and cause it to close up, but they don't really "hurt" any of the coral..... and they are mostly active at night, so stuff is closing up anyway. If I had to do it again, I'd probably not add the hermits though.

+1

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicee. I’ll check with my LFS tomorrow and see if they have any. Thanks for the tip man.

Make sure u keep an eye out, if they run out of food they die, and in some cases the ammonia spike is bad.

It will be tough to find, their camoflauge and hiding spots are so good u wont see it in front u if its tucked under the ledge of a rock for daytime resting.

Mine survived about 3 months

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still in the early phases of every aspect of running a reef tank...... never had so much as a goldfish pre-2019 actually.....

I have 10 trochus and 10 nasarius snails in my 20g, but will get more, and my 75 has about 10 hermits, 15+ emeralds, (I love those guys) 20 or so various snails (I will probably get another 50 for the new tank) and random cleaner shrimp etc.

I keep checking for snails etc. when I stop in my local shop, but they usually have "a few" and I would rather buy 20+ at a time! I think I'll just put in an order for 50......

Any reason you don't have emeralds? They never seem to bother anything for me...... Hermits can be a pain, I get that!
I had an emerald that got big quick and was a tank bully. He was always irritating corals, tipping over new frags in the sand bed, and at feeding time he would challenge the watchman goby and scare him into the shrimp tunnel. I had to gi e him back to the lfs

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some meetings up in Allentown and at Penn State Hershey medical center so I’m hanging with my brother who lives here. Then it’s white water rafting all week in WV.
I think Penn State medical center is where my ex-fiance's late husband had his 7 organ transplant. I hear its an amazing place with exceptional doctors.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I suggest Roseville California? Clean water from the tap (no chloramines, low tds, cheap rodi does the trick) and its very own electrical utility that does not use PG+E's power or infrastructure. In fact they just posted on Nextdoor that they have been working hard on fire prevention and will not be turning off power the way PG+E has. Plus, real estate is not insane like the Bay.
Yeah but you will still be paying for PG& E's current bankruptcy through your taxes...thank your governor and majority party in Sacramento!

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah nice. I use to love going to Hershey when my dad had medical meetings there. Hotel Hershey is awesome and Hershey theme park is always a good time! You can also see ecotech’s fake HQ in Allentown! It’s funny!

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah nice. I use to love going to Hershey when my dad had medical meetings there. Hotel Hershey is awesome and Hershey theme park is always a good time! You can also see ecotech’s fake HQ in Allentown! It’s funny!

Fake HQ? Explain please.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but you will still be paying for PG& E's current bankruptcy through your taxes...thank your governor and majority party in Sacramento!
Very true. This is a tough state to live in when you don’t see eye to eye with the politicians in power. I always feel like a wolf in sheep’s clothing when people talk politics here lol. “More money for the homeless!” Mmmm yea no. “Free iPhones for undocumented immigrants and free housing”, umm can I become undocumented ? Lol

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fake HQ? Explain please.
I’ll pm you. I did some digging awhile back and found out who actually owns these aquarium companies. Most that claim to be made in USA aren’t, they aren’t even American owned anymore. R2r took my findings down last time so yea I must have ruffled some feathers. :( lol. I’ve been to ecotech in Allentown. It’s a little teeny tiny shop, which claims to make, maintain, repair all ecotech products. It’s impossible if you see the brick and mortar.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back