RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
X2 on the matrix. I used it in my canister filter for 6 months prior to the sump upgrade. And my no3 never went outside of 8-11ppm

I am actually considering making some some sort of DIY layered rack to put in my socks compartment and stop running socks completely.

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our local electric utility sent out a message explaining that we do not rely on PG+E for power and that they will not be shutting off power every time som
Last power outage was five days the week before I started my WaterBox 230 and 10 days the outage before that. Sooooo whole home generator with automatic transfer switch hooked up to 500 gallon propane tank and an app (Apex like) for my phone was promptly installed.
Thats awesome! You got the holy grail of electrical back-up. That automatic transfer switch is worth its weight in gold. Many a homeowner has forgot to disconnect service power before turning on their generator. Well done, sir!

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that’s a backup plan! Haha. That’s my goal once I have a house. So expensive here... anything worth living in 3-4K sqft is over 2 million. Something nice 5000+sqft-ish is 8-12. It’s ridiculous. My condo is 1.2 and it’s far from nice lol.
May I suggest Roseville California? Clean water from the tap (no chloramines, low tds, cheap rodi does the trick) and its very own electrical utility that does not use PG+E's power or infrastructure. In fact they just posted on Nextdoor that they have been working hard on fire prevention and will not be turning off power the way PG+E has. Plus, real estate is not insane like the Bay.

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump, cuc ulva eater suggestions anyone?

Get a couple sea hares, starry blenny or lawnmower blenny... and a bunch of hermit crabs... I just had a gnarly outbreak about a month ago... all gone now... it was bad... covering all my frags... just was going buckwild... took the sea hares back for credit... no need for them now... they do wonders...

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a couple sea hares, starry blenny or lawnmower blenny... and a bunch of hermit crabs... I just had a gnarly outbreak about a month ago... all gone now... it was bad... covering all my frags... just was going buckwild... took the sea hares back for credit... no need for them now... they do wonders...
Nice. Hermits would be preferable if they actually eat it, since I’ll be fallow the rest of the summer. I don’t know much about sea hares, they get big don’t they? Do they mess with coral? Now that my tangs are gone it’s springing up everywhere and doubling every night lol.

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Hermits would be preferable if they actually eat it, since I’ll be fallow the rest of the summer. I don’t know much about sea hares, they get big don’t they? Do they mess with coral? Now that my tangs are gone it’s springing up everywhere and doubling every night lol.

Sea hares are awesome... dont do any damage to corals, but they eat alot of algae... I seriously would see huge patches of ulva disapear overnight... Its totally worth it my friend... that crew I mentioned to you is what I did and it was gone in about 1-2 weeks... sea hares eat alot so when your done take him back for credit or find someone who is need of a big time algae cleaner... they are ultimately big sea slugs... super cool looking... around $20-$25 each... they will do a great job

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea hares are awesome... dont do any damage to corals, but they eat alot of algae... I seriously would see huge patches of ulva disapear overnight... Its totally worth it my friend... that crew I mentioned to you is what I did and it was gone in about 1-2 weeks... sea hares eat alot so when your done take him back for credit or find someone who is need of a big time algae cleaner... they are ultimately big sea slugs... super cool looking... around $20-$25 each... they will do a great job
Nicee. I’ll check with my LFS tomorrow and see if they have any. Thanks for the tip man.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big fan of going very heavy on CUC..... haven't starved anything to death that I know of..... they seem to do fine on uneaten fish food.....
Yea same here. I have hundreds of trochus snails. But they don’t touch this ulva. I have 3 hermits but that’s nothing in a 90.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea same here. I have hundreds of trochus snails. But they don’t touch this ulva. I have 3 hermits but that’s nothing in a 90.

I am still in the early phases of every aspect of running a reef tank...... never had so much as a goldfish pre-2019 actually.....

I have 10 trochus and 10 nasarius snails in my 20g, but will get more, and my 75 has about 10 hermits, 15+ emeralds, (I love those guys) 20 or so various snails (I will probably get another 50 for the new tank) and random cleaner shrimp etc.

I keep checking for snails etc. when I stop in my local shop, but they usually have "a few" and I would rather buy 20+ at a time! I think I'll just put in an order for 50......

Any reason you don't have emeralds? They never seem to bother anything for me...... Hermits can be a pain, I get that!

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still in the early phases of every aspect of running a reef tank...... never had so much as a goldfish pre-2019 actually.....

I have 10 trochus and 10 nasarius snails in my 20g, but will get more, and my 75 has about 10 hermits, 15+ emeralds, (I love those guys) 20 or so various snails (I will probably get another 50 for the new tank) and random cleaner shrimp etc.

I keep checking for snails etc. when I stop in my local shop, but they usually have "a few" and I would rather buy 20+ at a time! I think I'll just put in an order for 50......

Any reason you don't have emeralds? They never seem to bother anything for me...... Hermits can be a pain, I get that!
I’ve just heard they can irritate coral, but I have no first hand experience with them. If they eat ulva I’ll give them a try too lol.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are fun to watch...... sure, they may crawl across something and cause it to close up, but they don't really "hurt" any of the coral..... and they are mostly active at night, so stuff is closing up anyway. If I had to do it again, I'd probably not add the hermits though.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are fun to watch...... sure, they may crawl across something and cause it to close up, but they don't really "hurt" any of the coral..... and they are mostly active at night, so stuff is closing up anyway. If I had to do it again, I'd probably not add the hermits though.
Why’s that? My 3 little blue legs haven’t seemed to bother much. Do emeralds eat elva?

Back