HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest Update: 9/19/2017
JBJ 30 gallon Rimless ($270)
Radion Xr15 Gen 4 Pro + RMS Mount ($385 + $95)
2 x Rossmont 1900 gph Movers ($129)
Rossmont Waver ($199)
Eshopps PSK-75 H Protein Skimmer ($160)
Flipper Cleaner ($30)
2x Stock Media Baskets.

Fish:
1 Ocellaris ($20)
1 Diamond Goby ($22) (One Died, added another for $20)
1 Naked Clown ($40)
1 Lightning Clown ($80)
1 Target/Spot Mandarin ($25)
1 Starry Blenny ($15)

Coral:
1 Mystery Acropora ($60)
Ultra Trachy ($30)
BTA (maybe a rose) ($50)
Red Monti Cap ($5)
Povona Coral ($5)
Spiny Cup Pectinia ($20)
Gold Torch (Not the Aussie unfortunately) ($50)
Random Torch ($30)
Aussie Duncan ($30)
Frogspawn ($5)
Trachyphyllia ($20)
2 x Acan ($5 each)
2 x Acan ($10 each)
Green Goni ($15)
Yellow Goni ($15)

Tricolor Acropora ($50)
- Died on 8/22/2017
Indo Elegance ($50) - Died on 9/13/2017

CUC: ($45)
6 Red Hermits
6 Blue Hermits
1 Tiger Conch
1 Peppermint Shrimp
5 Margarita Snails
5 Astraea Snails
5 Cerith Snails
2 Olive Persicoping Snails (+$16)

So I finally tried to cure my reef fever after having an IM Fusion 10 for six months or so, and bit the bullet and bought a JBJ 30 Gallon Rimless tank. I'm still in college going for a B.S. in Biology - Pre-Physical Therapy and Pre Med while working as a contract worker in a law firm, so money is a bit tight but this is my splurging hobby!

A little background on me, I played competitive hockey ever since I could remember and suffered a TBI a few years ago while playing in a prospects league.Since then I have been dealing with the after effects of a TBI and have been constantly battling to try and get back to a normal life. Soon after the TBI is when I took up the hobby to pass my time and find something productive to do.

For as long as I can remember we have always had at least one freshwater tank in my house ranging from at least a ten gallon to a 55 planted. So one day I decided to buy a 55g from Petco's $1 per gallon sale and my step dad convinced me to to make it into a salt water tank. So I did my research and found out the 55 wasn't a good choice for me because it wouldn't give me the depth I wanted. So after waiting around for a few months and going to several LFS's just to look I bought an IM Nuvo Fusion 10.

My 10 gallon has been thriving with only a few hiccups here and there and I've been wanting to step up to a big boy tank. After doing some research and talking to some local reefers, I decided on the JBJ 30 just because I love the idea of the rimless and got a $300 bonus out of the blue (One of the local reefers owns his own aquarium maintenance business so he sold it to me for the wholesale price since I've been going to him for months, only paid $250 and he threw in four frags for my ten gallon!).

I don't really know what I am planning to keep in the tank but probably just doing a mixed reef. Before I go all out and splurge on upgrades to the tank, I have to finish a custom stand I am building. I started the build about 6 months ago and life got in the way. Its about 9 feet long, and just about 3 feet wide and four feet tall. I built it with a 55 in mind but since I have decided to go another route I will be making a few modifications to it. I originally planned for it to house 2 55's on top, one reef and one planted, with a custom bearded dragon cage built into the bottom below the planted and a hidden section under the reef tank for a sump. But now I am re-planning and at a lack of money wall lol.

So here I am. Just a college guy with a 10 gallon and an empty 30 gallon.

Updates will come soon I promise!

Last edited:

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're in college and you can accommodate this hobby....KUDOS to you!

Man when I was in college...romain noodles and $2.99 all you can eat pizza were my staples. Forget reef tank...[emoji6]

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're in college and you can accommodate this hobby....KUDOS to you!

Man when I was in college...romain noodles and $2.99 all you can eat pizza were my staples. Forget reef tank...[emoji6]

Hahaha been saving like crazy and a credit card helps. But still in my childhood home so that helps.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are great tanks, I love the size for maintenance and ease of equipment.

Look at the Smart ATO and the Tunze 9001 protein skimmer, both are on the cheaper side for equipment and work well with this tank.

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are great tanks, I love the size for maintenance and ease of equipment.

Look at the Smart ATO and the Tunze 9001 protein skimmer, both are on the cheaper side for equipment and work well with this tank.

I love the AIO tanks and don't think I will ever go away from them. And I was actually looking at the Smart ATO and a different HOB Skimmer that is only $200. Never used a skimmer before though so kind of worried

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So thanks to @ScottW and @nickg I got a XR15 for an absolute steal of a price. I am hoping, if all goes well with work, I can go pick up a tank mount for it until I have the stand built and the shelf above the tank built. I am also planning on picking up a mix of some dry rock and cured live rock from a buddy of mine towards the end of the week and get a scape going.

As of now I am 90% sure on some of the other upgrades I would like to make but still might change depending on cash or reviews. I am thinking about buy the Marine Depot deal of Two MP10wQD's and a Battery back up for $735, either the Tunze Comline DOC DC Protein Skimmer 9001 ($162) or 9004 ($199), the AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro ($135), the Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm 150 Watt ($76), and I am on the fence about buying two of the IM Auqa Gadget Minimax All-In-One Reactors for $98 a piece.

I am really looking forward to getting this tank up and going but do not want to rush it at all. I have frags in my other tank as well as a buddies frag tank just waiting to be moved to their new home. I am thinking of have a mixed reef with a small zoo garden, euphyllia garden, a room for some mushrooms that I have, room for acans, all while leaving some of the sand bed open for future additions. I am happy that I am moving from a 10 gallon to a 30 just because I have more room to put down some aggressive corals like Galaxia that I have never really had room for.

My girlfriend, Katie, showed me a few photos of "hanging"/"Shelved" Aquascapes that are glued/mounted on the back wall leaving almost all of the sand bed open, which I am open to trying but it all depends on the rock I have. I also have seen photos of people who have mounted their GSP to the back wall, letting it take over and covering the wall, which I am also interested in, but I would hate the idea of the gsp breaking off and growing somewhere else.

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I dont know how common, or if it is even possible, but I was thinking of taking one of the two 40B's I have laying around and creating a makeshift frag tank, and using the other 40b as a sump. However, I wouldn't connect the sump just to the Frag system but possibly my 30G JBJ thats in this thread and even my IM Nuvo Fusion 10.

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since yesterday was payday, I talked to a local reefer who runs a reef maintenance company and he said he is willing to sell me some Lace Rock from a tank he took down yesterday for $1 a pound. H e mentioned if I didnt like it he has about 3 or four other types of rock, both live and dry, ranging from, 75 cents to $4 a pound. So tonight I will head on over to his side of town and pick that up and then stop by my LFS and pick up a reeflink or a RMS mount for my XR15 Gen 4 Pro.

So I am not quite sure how I want to cure my live rock at this point and am up for suggestions. What I have done in the past is just bake it out in the nice Arizona weather for a few days, which the highs for the next week are between 103-107, then rinse with some RODI, and place in the tank and start the cycle. I'll for sure be using live sand but I am debating on using Bio Spira to speed up the process. I haven't used bottled bacteria before so it is all new to me. I'll talk to my buddy tonight when I pick up the rock and see what he recommends, but like I said, I am up for hearing your suggestions. #ReefSquad , what are your thoughts?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's live. Why not keep it live?

You can clean it, take out pests, and remove po4 much easier in a number of ways imo..

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's live. Why not keep it live?

You can clean it, take out pests, and remove po4 much easier in a number of ways imo..

While I love the gamble of having something cool or beneficial come in on the LR, I set up a small tank with some LR from my LFS, and other Reefers tanks and was overwhelmed with Acoel Flatworms (ID from Reddit) and Aiptasia, and a ton of brsitle worms which arent a bad thing, just not a pretty site. So I am not sure If I am down for the gamble.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soak in peroxide water or Do a fresh water soak.
You could get all crazy and use flatworm exit or interceptor.

You just want the bacteria deep in the rock really.

Either way. Million ways to skin a cat I suppose.

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soak in peroxide water or Do a fresh water soak.
You could get all crazy and use flatworm exit or interceptor.

You just want the bacteria deep in the rock really.

Either way. Million ways to skin a cat I suppose.

I have never heard of the peroxide soak, is that just a high water, low peroxide ratio for a few days?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard of the peroxide soak, is that just a high water, low peroxide ratio for a few days?
If your going to soak it for longer go with much much less and it'll also kill the algae.
Like peroxide as a coral dip, a higher ratio to kill off the bugs.
Iyou could probably soak the rock in fresh water a few hours to be safe.

If like me you cure in a bucket or bin w a powerhead , just take the couple weeks or a month to soak dip clean cure repeat.

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your going to soak it for longer go with much much less and it'll also kill the algae.
Like peroxide as a coral dip, a higher ratio to kill off the bugs.
Iyou could probably soak the rock in fresh water a few hours to be safe.

If like me you cure in a bucket or bin w a powerhead , just take the couple weeks or a month to soak dip clean cure repeat.

I think that is what I will do!

OP
OP
H

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up $114 worth of dry rock from my bud which translates to about 45-50 pound of mixed lave rock, reef saver, pukani, and some other type I cant remember. Today I will be going to Ace or Home Depot to pick up some paint to finish the top of my stand. I know I havent really mentioned my stand too much in this thread, or at least I dont recall, but it is about 9 feet long, two feet wide, and four feet deep. My step dad helped my build it and at his request, we made it a little overkill in regards to support which isnt a bad thing. I built it to have room for either one big custom tank on top, two 55's next to eachother with one being freshwater and one being salt (Which i later trashed that idea), and to have room on the bottom for a custom bearded dragon cage and a sump on the other side.

The frame is built out of two by fours and the top of the stand will be 3/4 inch thick MDF. The MDF will be painted black on top and the sides, and white on the bottom to help reflect the light in the dragons cage and if I ever have a fuge.

I also am contemplating purchasing my reeflink today as well as a reactor. The guys at my LFS have been trying to sell me the Aquatop MR 20 but I havent heard too much about it. So I guess I am once again down to hear some suggestions for some reactors!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back