Heyyyyyy y’all!! Let’s talk filter socks

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 200 micron 4" socks on my 30g/10g sump. They last 3 days max before they threaten to overflow. I have about 20 of em, go thru all of them, quick machine wash all and repeat. If I want to be lazy I have a few 200 micron mesh socks that don't clog. I'm reluctant not to use them because the return/media reactor pump section of my sump (and whole sump actually) stays MUCH cleaner since I started using them.

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if any bleach was left behind, couldn’t that kill fish?
I have 4 pairs. I change them weekly. I keep the dirty ones in a bucket of water and and when I run out I wash them in the washing machine with about a cup of bleach. Then I soak them for 24 hours in a bucket with a cap full of Prime (a chlorine neutralizer). Then I take them out and let them dry completely. I've been doing it this way for years with no problems.

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so, how often do I need to change out my filter socks? They’re kind of expensive, and if I change them out too often won’t all the good bacteria go away...?
BRS tv did a test on this one time. You could probably find it if you did a search. They tested nitrate levels after changing them every few days, after one week and after 2 weeks. Their conclusion was that weekly was optimal.

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to change mine weekly. And wash them all together monthly. Now I installed the KLIR a couple months back and I am never looking back. I should have purchased it day 1 :) .
I've been debating the Klir. I just upgraded my tank and have spent a metric f-ton of money in the last two months. I'm reluctant to drop more, with the flip side of the coin being at this point, what does a few hundred bucks more really matter? Obviously, you think it's good and does the job. Is yours the four inch or the 7 inch?

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been debating the Klir. I just upgraded my tank and have spent a metric f-ton of money in the last two months. I'm reluctant to drop more, with the flip side of the coin being at this point, what does a few hundred bucks more really matter? Obviously, you think it's good and does the job. Is yours the four inch or the 7 inch?
Yes, so far so good, since I got it I definitely have one less maintenance item. The one I probably hated the most.
Mine is the 7 inch. I had to do a slight mod to the sensor so it would work in my eshopps sump, but so far it works perfectly. I change the roll once around 2 months. I hated the socks (and so did my wife when I put them in the WM)

Soryu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flip them inside out if you can, rinse off some of the collected crud.
Toss them into washer with about a capful of bleach (regular non frilly scented stuff) wash on a gentle cycle with low/no spin. If they still smell like bleach, run a rinse cycle or a 2nd time without more bleach.
Let air dry.

This is what I do except I run my washing machine once empty in hopes I rinse any soap out. I then wash them in hot water with bleach, then a clean water no bleach on cold, then air dry.

BRS did a study and found that the prime schedule for changes was 3-4 days. I have about 15 socks/filter pads for every tank I own and wash about once every 2-3 weeks.

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS did a study and found that the prime schedule for changes was 3-4 days. I have about 15 socks/filter pads for every tank I own and wash about once every 2-3 weeks.

They also found that not much difference in that 7-10 day to 2 weeks... that's where I usually fall in ;Facepalm

Soryu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They also found that not much difference in that 7-10 day to 2 weeks... that's where I usually fall in ;Facepalm

Yup this is correct. My socks tend to be at their maximum at 4 days since I'm using the 100µm socks that have the dual side density so they are pretty much done at 4 days. I also feed a bit heavy so I'm trying to reduce extra nutrients in the tank from breaking down in the filters.

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ahh, but does that matter that is the question in my mind?

Before I got a nano I was an adamant anti-sock guy. I never used them, ever, on my 240. My nano which has been up and running since April does. Now I'm debating my change schedule.

The question in my mind is one not answered in the BRS video on change schedule. They hinted at the issue in an earlier video namely will the socks become "nitrate factories" if not cleaned. Ryan argues that the socks are not going to add any nitrates that haven't already been added although they may inhibit the skimmer from removing organics but he goes on to point out that skimmers remove organics at the molecular size which is not something socks are going to add.

To me the primary purpose of a sock is to remove detritus and polish the water. Because I am inherently lazy I would prefer not to have to collect a bunch and throw them in the washing machine. Simply rinsing them in the sink every couple days seems easy and effective. I think I will try that for a month or two and see if I have a noticeable increase in phosphate levels over what I have been seeing to date.

Last edited:

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't appear to have any detectable benefit. Try going sockless for a while. I did this years ago and have never seen any downsides to it.

You don't need to make any other changes to adjust... just stop using them and honestly evaluate whether it hurt your tank at all.

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't appear to have any detectable benefit. Try going sockless for a while. I did this years ago and have never seen any downsides to it.

You don't need to make any other changes to adjust... just stop using them and honestly evaluate whether it hurt your tank at all.
Not planning to run socks too. I ran my drain pipe straight to the DIY ATS and let the algae trap the detritus, as in the TRITON METHOD. Water from ATS then passes through 4 stock media/filter cups filled with SEACHEM MATRIX, en route to the Skimmer to remove the remaining organics.
6FA075EE-3D77-4E28-9E45-8067FE7CAF14.jpeg

Timrpn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I use cups and just put bio balls in them? The water just flows over top? I don't want to use filter socks. But i have to have something there or it would sound like Niagara Falls in there

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I use cups and just put bio balls in them? The water just flows over top? I don't want to use filter socks. But i have to have something there or it would sound like Niagara Falls in there
Depends on what they are made from, but probably not a good idea. Flow too fast and with particulates in the water they'd crud up and become detritus balls of nitrates

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like i may be stuck with the socks :(
The MarinePure would crumble, the Nano-Tech Bio-Spheres might hold up. Or get some 300micron mesh socks. Don't clog and easy to rinse out.

I just bought a dozen felt ones and seeing what they look like after 5-7 days shows they are not worthless. I notice my water isn't as clear without them... I've tried.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 87 79.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.6%
Back