Hi From KY

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm that would depend on whcih calcium you where using :), people may frown on this BUT heres what i do with 100% success, i buy reef advantage calcium, i add two teaspoons to a glass of ro water, sir it up and let it settle till the water looks normal again. Then i dump into the tank. I do this once a week, and my corals are growing like ive never seen any ones corals grow b4.

coral diver

Old and Wise
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recomend this site to help you

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chemcalc.html

As you add more sps Calcium & Alkalinity as well as the Magnesium (the balancing component for the 2) consumption will increase and as you said your dosing & no CA Reactor i would monitor the consumption every week and add accordingly and from there on you will get what you lifestocks weekly demand

Last edited:

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah this site is amazing, thanks for the link! love the tank caculator link thats on that page too... really cool!

OP
OP
BluegrassReef

BluegrassReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I'm back from getting the 75...I am tired. All went smooth and everything is at home...I did get 3 surprises tho..2 good and one not so good but I can live with it...for a short time...LOL

1. skimmer turned out to be a Euro Reef CS8-1 not CS6=good
2. mated pair of clowns that are 4 yrs. old=good
3. Live rock covered in aptasia and hair algea=not good

but in all I am happy hope to have some pics up in the coming days.

mike

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just "bake" the rock and start over again with it, then just buy some seeded rock to seed the tank back up.

bluegrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good luck. I wouldn't put the rock with hair algae in it though. You'll be fighting it from the beginning til the end and that's no fun.

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea like i said if i where u i would let it dry out under the sun for a week, wash it off let it dry for a couple more days then put it into the tank, just to make sure!

OP
OP
BluegrassReef

BluegrassReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't no what I'm gonna do yet. I was looking forward to setting up the tank by this weekend but know I don't know?:(

OP
OP
BluegrassReef

BluegrassReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey ocean.....do I just put them in straight vinager or mix it 50/50 with ro water? how long do I leave them in for? I have the 20l so seeding is not a problem.

here comes the ?'s.........LOL:D

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOl good, thats what im here for, you will get mixed answered if its bad i use all vinager if not i use 4 parts vin 1 part water

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i let it sit over night then scrub the crap out of them the next day then i wash them off and let them sit in regular water and what i do is every 2 hours or so take them out wash them and change the water i do this for 24-48 hours

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be, doesnt really matter everything is going to be dead any ways so actually no, dont waste the ro water its not needed in this project! o and dont worry bro, theres is no silly questions when it comes to reefing! well maybe this one....can i use table salt? its way cheaper! LOL

OP
OP
BluegrassReef

BluegrassReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
funny you mention that...I was reading my box of 100% natural sea salt the other day...And I wondered........No I will not do it but it does make you wonder 100% NATURAL...lol

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.0%
Back