Hi quick question about banana eel

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i was just wondering if it would be possible to keep the banana eel in a 75 gallon tank, i know people recommend 100+ gallons but if i got one it would most likely be the only fish in the tank with some cleaner shrimp or maybe 1 or 2 other fish. If this is not possible could i get some reason of why not as people recommend snowflake eels to 50 gallon tanks and the banana and snowflake reach roughly the same size don't they? any info/advice appreciated.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the banana eel is a small 2' moray, they are a fang toothed moray and many times more deadly than a snowflake. While they will mostly tuck away like most eels, when they do venture out, they have a very aggressive swim style and would benefit from at least a 6' tank. I doubt you could keep anything in a 75g with him after he matures at a very thick 2'. Any fish that would be able to be kept in a 75g would be toast.

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the banana eel is a small 2' moray, they are a fang toothed moray and many times more deadly than a snowflake. While they will mostly tuck away like most eels, when they do venture out, they have a very aggressive swim style and would benefit from at least a 6' tank. I doubt you could keep anything in a 75g with him after he matures at a very thick 2'. Any fish that would be able to be kept in a 75g would be toast.

Thanks for the reply :)

fragman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a Banana eel for around ten years in a 100 mixed reef. I was able to train him to grab Ocean nutrition formula one and formula two cubes from a long feeding stick. These guys have a great sense of smell but terrible eye site. I might have simply been lucky, but he never ate any of his many tank mates. mandarins, damsels, and fire fish where all safe. But he did thrash around aggressively going after those cubes. When I started growing sps corals as a priority he had to go. He made too many frags. I found a home for him in a friends 750 gallon reef. I miss him!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back