Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried the other way too and deff not a lick of nitrates, it just worried me that there was always still a little residual dust looking reagent on the bottom reguardless of how vigorously I shook it.
You did use 5 drops of A; mix for 15 sec; scoop of B powder and mix for 1 min; scoop of C powder and mix for 15 seconds; then time 9 minutes.....right? Just hard to believe it is clear! :)

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I even let the vial sit for way longer than 9 minutes after the initial reading, and not a color change at all. I’m wondering if that’s why my Walt Disney’s lost a lot of the rainbow colors and just got more orange and yellows

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Okay sweet :) ill do it this way for 8 weeks! But if I'm doing that every 8 days should I go with 2 table spoons per gallon?
you can do 2 tablespoon but only do it for 8 minutes.. also do it with the 1 tablespoon 1st and then after 8 days do it with the 2 tablespoon. If you are dipping for AEFW they will melt off in 4 minutes

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Yup I even let the vial sit for way longer than 9 minutes after the initial reading, and not a color change at all. I’m wondering if that’s why my Walt Disney’s lost a lot of the rainbow colors and just got more orange and yellows
I would recommend dosing your tank ASAP with brightwell neo nitro no3. it is very easy and gentle. IMO 0 no3 is very dangerous. Coral need the no3

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Shane, I just wanted to make sure I deff wasn’t missing something. I had sent an ati icp test out ages ago and they said too that there weren’t any nitrates, so I wanted to be sure before I start dripping stuff in.

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can do 2 tablespoon but only do it for 8 minutes.. also do it with the 1 tablespoon 1st and then after 8 days do it with the 2 tablespoon. If you are dipping for AEFW they will melt off in 4 minutes
Ill do the one tablespoon as per your recommendation :)

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed them Reef CHIlli. i put this into the american reef HPD MIX. i also feed a lot of phytoplankton. I get this from Algae barne. I think the Phyto makes a huge difference with PE and color and overall health
Would masstick work as a replacement for HPD? Im in canada, cant be shipped to me :/

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never heard masstick

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Thanks Shane, I just wanted to make sure I deff wasn’t missing something. I had sent an ati icp test out ages ago and they said too that there weren’t any nitrates, so I wanted to be sure before I start dripping stuff in.
once you start to raise your no3 your corals will have much more PE and color I bet.. post some of your results here once you dose it...

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Seems kind of similar but i dont think its the same TBO

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!! Now I usually use the Hanna phosphate checker and my number was around .06 . If I am going to start dosing nitrates will it cause the corals to suck up whatever remaining phosphates?

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Thank you!! Now I usually use the Hanna phosphate checker and my number was around .06 . If I am going to start dosing nitrates will it cause the corals to

If your no3 is 0 your corals are probably starving As they take in n03 they will grow and then start taking in more po4. So you deff want to monitor po4 carefully

Last edited:

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along. I too have had an issue with keeping nitrates up despite feeding. Waiting on more fish to come out of QT. What testing kit do you recommend. I have been using Salifert - always 0.0, I had a LaMotte SpinLink test which read my nitrate as 1. Looking at my sps though I do not have much color and all the new growth is very pale. PE is decent. PO4 is 0.09.

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yo Shane! Huge fan of your stuff and have a few questions for you:

1. What return pump do you use? Have you considered using the Echotech Vectra since you already run the Mp40's?

2. Have you looked in to the VCA random flow nozzles? I think you would benefit from them since you have the Mp40's on random

3. Do you use any Hannah checkers to test? If so which ones?

New tank is currently being built can wait to have it up and cycled to get a few gems from you.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Tagging along. I too have had an issue with keeping nitrates up despite feeding. Waiting on more fish to come out of QT. What testing kit do you recommend. I have been using Salifert - always 0.0, I had a LaMotte SpinLink test which read my nitrate as 1. Looking at my sps though I do not have much color and all the new growth is very pale. PE is decent. PO4 is 0.09.
You are deff lacking no3. ALso i would not add fish just to increase the no3.. I would dose it with brightwell neontiro.is very easy to use and gentle on the corals. IF your no3 is 0 then this is a critical issue and your corals are probably starving. I would suggest getting it up asap and bring it up to about 10.. i think you will see more PE and Color... Read through this whole thread as you will see this discussed many times. also it goes through how to use the neonitro brightwell.. I recommend the red sea pro kit..I have over 20 large tangs in my system and the no3 stays at 0.. i am up to dosing 125ML per day of neonitro brightwell in the 560 gallon ..

hope that helps!! keep us posted!!!!!

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Yo Shane! Huge fan of your stuff and have a few questions for you:

1. What return pump do you use? Have you considered using the Echotech Vectra since you already run the Mp40's?

2. Have you looked in to the VCA random flow nozzles? I think you would benefit from them since you have the Mp40's on random

3. Do you use any Hannah checkers to test? If so which ones?

New tank is currently being built can wait to have it up and cycled to get a few gems from you.
YOOOOOOOOOOO!

1) I have 2 vectra l1s in the system- see video below on them....

2)I have not seen these...and will check them out

3)Currently i have the Hanna alk, No3 and po4 kits..I test this against saliefert and Red sea LOL i am always cross checking using different kits.

thanks man!

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are deff lacking no3. ALso i would not add fish just to increase the no3.. I would dose it with brightwell neontiro.is very easy to use and gentle on the corals. IF your no3 is 0 then this is a critical issue and your corals are probably starving. I would suggest getting it up asap and bring it up to about 10.. i think you will see more PE and Color... Read through this whole thread as you will see this discussed many times. also it goes through how to use the neonitro brightwell.. I recommend the red sea pro kit..I have over 20 large tangs in my system and the no3 stays at 0.. i am up to dosing 125ML per day of neonitro brightwell in the 560 gallon ..

hope that helps!! keep us posted!!!!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back