PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Shane, just wanted to be meticulous about the dipping protocol! 1 tblsp potassium chloride per gallon for 8minutes, every 8 days for 8 weeks?

Adamtran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a great read and thanks for helping the community. Im setting up a redsea750 and new to sps. Systems been up for about a year. Salifert readings are 0 on phos and no3. But my fuge is pretty stuffed with chaeto. Would you recommend removing most of it, take readings or just add neophos and neonitro. It sounds like it counters each other

Attachments

• 20201231_060202.jpg
    20201231_060202.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 112
OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hey Shane, just wanted to be meticulous about the dipping protocol! 1 tblsp potassium chloride per gallon for 8minutes, every 8 days for 8 weeks?
Yes do every day for 8 weeks. Are you dipping just a few corals or the whole tank? if you do have aefw you will need to cut all the corals off the rocks and put them onto egg crate. this way you can dip all the corals very quickly.... just gotta be careful you don't leave any coral crust onto the rocks you may have to glue over those spots...

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
This was a great read and thanks for helping the community. Im setting up a redsea750 and new to sps. Systems been up for about a year. Salifert readings are 0 on phos and no3. But my fuge is pretty stuffed with chaeto. Would you recommend removing most of it, take readings or just add neophos and neonitro. It sounds like it counters each other
Having an established fudge is very important IMO and is most likely why you are at 0 with no3 and po4 which is actually the goal. Ones you have these 0 levels you can slowly dose it up using neophos and neonitro.. you will have a super clean system but good levels of nutrients. one thing you do need to watch is your IRON. you will also have to dose iron to keep up with the Chaeto growth. Corals do need some iron so 0 levels is not good. I would suggest you send in a triton test also to see what other trace elements may be missing...

TankCandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   1
Shane, Thank you for all this information. I have done what you said and got my system to show 0 No3 and Po4 was at 0. I am now dosing with NeoNitro and NeoPhos and the corals seems to be responding quite well. It took 2 weeks for any No3 reading @5mL per day on 100Gallon system (I wanted to take it super slow). My question is what do you keep you dKH at? My Ph is stable between 8.1-8.3 but i am unsure where i should take my dKH. it was at 6.5 two months ago and now at 8.7 since i am dosing part2 everyday. My Po4 is still kind of low at 7ppm.

Also is there any point in keeping any gravel and rock where the chaeto grows in the fuge?

I will be at you next live sale on the 7th. Cannot wait!!

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Shane, Thank you for all this information. I have done what you said and got my system to show 0 No3 and Po4 was at 0. I am now dosing with NeoNitro and NeoPhos and the corals seems to be responding quite well. It took 2 weeks for any No3 reading @5mL per day on 100Gallon system (I wanted to take it super slow). My question is what do you keep you dKH at? My Ph is stable between 8.1-8.3 but i am unsure where i should take my dKH. it was at 6.5 two months ago and now at 8.7 since i am dosing part2 everyday. My Po4 is still kind of low at 7ppm.

Also is there any point in keeping any gravel and rock where the chaeto grows in the fuge?

I will be at you next live sale on the 7th. Cannot wait!!
Hello Happy new year and thanks for your message

I like my alk to be at 9. I had a friend send in a sample Triton test with the water from Indonesia and the alk was 9.. so that is where i keep it at. anything with the range of 8.5-9 is good IMO and you don't need to chase a number but chase a range.. if you are hand dosing this i would recommend getting a doser and dose it over 24 hours.. this will keep the system super stable... i don't know about keeping rock in the fuge i dont think this matters much. I keep miracle mud there .. but don't know if it makes any difference.

TankCandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   1
Thank you, happy new year to you as well. Awesome I will keep it where its at. Already got the Bubble magus BM-T11 going.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Happy New year everybody! I have been super slow in getting the new system up and wanted to update everybody today.

Everything has been added including the ATO, GHL doser, and Neptune Triton. Everything has been super stable and I thought it was ready for coral….. The only thing that was lacking was a skimmer for excess nutrient removal..

I did a parameter check on the overall system and was going to put the 1st tenuis frag in today but I noticed that the po4 was off the charts. The Hanna h1774 was flashing .90 which means it is deadly off the charts lol. You can see how dark the color of the water is with the powder inside. It’s very dark compared to the clear water. (see pics below) I knew it was high at this point. Now I have 2 options to get this down. I need it to be below .40 PPM before it is ok to put in some tenuis. I find my main tank the sweet spot is between .25-.35. But my goal right now is.40.. once I hit .40 I will add the 1st Tenuis frags I can’t wait.

I have 2 options to try and get it down

• Add a skimmer to skim out all the garbage and hopefully get the p04 down
  • Do massive water changes at around 25% each until the p04 gets down
I like to get this po4 at the source so added a skimmer and chose option number 1. I added a Deltec skimmer 1000i which is rated for a heavy 263 Gallon stock system. This system is 360 gallons but I am running and chaeto refugium so went with a smaller skimmer. I installed it and waiting for the skimmer to get past the breakin period. My goal is to skim out all the garbage and see how much it brings down the po4. I also stopped feeding them system and wont feeds again until I get the po4 down to .40. I will report back the results in about 1 week. If this doesn’t bring it down enough, I will go directly to the water changes and do 40% water changes until it comes down.

See pictures below and video with the full live update

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 78
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 105
OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
we are doing a $250 gift card giveaway for our next sale.. you can enter by clicking the link below

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you sent out the icp test was that from this system? If it was why do you
Think the po4 has been rising?

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
When you sent out the icp test was that from this system? If it was why do you
Think the po4 has been rising?
which system do you mean my 360 or 540???? do you mean the one with the super higher po4... if yes then i think it went sky high because i was feeding the system for a year and not doing any water changes. doing all this with no nutrient removal it can back up bad to the point of .90 PO4 lol... now the skimmer should help and water changes will fix the issue worst case

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most recent was the 360 so that one, was there a method to the madness in continuous feeding driving up the phosphates? Or did you not intend for it to get that high?

SecondCityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said you’re using the skimmer to suck the phosphate out of the water? Do skimmers actually remove phosphates? I was under the impression that skimmers removed organic material before they could break down into ammonia and other chemicals. Thus they don’t remove phosphates?

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes do every day for 8 weeks. Are you dipping just a few corals or the whole tank? if you do have aefw you will need to cut all the corals off the rocks and put them onto egg crate. this way you can dip all the corals very quickly.... just gotta be careful you don't leave any coral crust onto the rocks you may have to glue over those spots...
I have 5 frags and luckily only encrusted on the plug :) and you meant every 8 days for 8 weeks? just making sure :)

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
The most recent was the 360 so that one, was there a method to the madness in continuous feeding driving up the phosphates? Or did you not intend for it to get that high?
I deff did not intend for them to get so high. I think the main reason is i was feeding the tank for a year with no nutrient export or water change. It must have just built up over this time..

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Shane, just a double check on this. Did you mean every WEEK versus every DAY?

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
You said you’re using the skimmer to suck the phosphate out of the water? Do skimmers actually remove phosphates? I was under the impression that skimmers removed organic material before they could break down into ammonia and other chemicals. Thus they don’t remove phosphates?
I am not sure if the skimmer will take out po4 but i have a 5 gallon bucket that the skim is going into and i am wet skimming to fill up the bucket quickly. once the 5 gallon bucket is full with skim i will retest the system for po4 and see if it went down. Maybe it wont but this is a good test for sure. Ill post the results once the bucket is full :)

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I have 5 frags and luckily only encrusted on the plug :) and you meant every 8 days for 8 weeks? just making sure :)
Yes 1 time every 8 days for 8 week. you can put all your frags on a frag rack and dip the whole rack each week to make it super easy

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back