AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting insight on TMP

Would love to see more batches tested. TMP is treated like the “holy grail” salt these days. Would be crazy to find out blue bucket is actually superior these days.

WWC swears by Brightwell

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shane,

I used Red Sea Blue Bucket and complained about Ba being much to high from my ATI ICP test since I follow reefmoonshiner's method.

I see on your Triton ICP test showing Ba levels at 77ug. You may start seeing much higher levels of Ba with your future water changes using Red Sea Blue Bucket. (This may be like your Iron levels slowly creeping up as you change your water using TMP salt)

I talked about it on reefmoonshiner FB group about wondering why my Ba levels creeping up and eventually figured out it came from my Red Sea Blue Bucket salt.

I don't know if there was any real harm like tissue peeling or anything too detrimental as my Ba levels slowly crept up to 111ug over time. I do have SPS, but not a pro like you.

Also, I noticed Manganese looks pretty high from your with your red sea salt on the triton test...

Hopefully this info may help you.

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the purple instant ocean and I’m am definitely going to be sending out an icp test this month! It’s funny how some people read these results and don’t see an issue with the iron building. “Hans said it would” Hans also said it would dissipate quickly we see that is not happening. O well.

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been keeping up with the TMP thread and Hans also said with his testing of these salt batches he is using Montipora one of the easiest most forgiving sps out there. We are trying to care for some of the most difficult sps I can definitely see how his testing is flawed

wmb0003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe it is quite normal for freshly mixed saltwater to contain iron, see below links of other ICP tests of fresh mixed salts that contain iron.

The problem Shane is encountering is why is his tanks not consuming the iron quickly like it has been in the past.
I would assume TMP changed something in their mix related to iron.

Shane, prior to this issue, did you ever see iron on any of your regular ICP tests? I do not test nearly as frequently as you, but my iron always comes back at 0.

Good luck with the new salt, hope the transition is smooth and easy!

Iron ranges from 0-75 for freshly mixed salts(only 1 salt mix had 0)
1641821653027.png

Iron ranges from 0-50 with only Instant Ocean purple coming in at 0.
1641821705914.png

EDIT: FYI you attached the ICP for the 550 twice, can you upload the ICP for system 3 240 Gallons? Thanks!

Last edited:

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually yes there is a big concern with iron which is why we are switching from tmp
Do you have any macro algae in your system or other organisms that use iron? Or do you have any other possible imports of iron such as trace elements. I use TMPR and Red Sea Blue Bucket exclusively on my system (mostly TMPR) and I just looked back at my last 4 ICP tests and they all have iron at zero. Both salts apparently have iron in the mix so it must be used by the algae in my system.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long ago did they switch to Turkey? I remember BRS did ICP tests on all the salts awhile ago and looking back, it had Fe of 26 in it even back then.
Scroll to the very bottom of this link (beyond the graphs) and click where it says “Top of Bucket Results / Bottom of a bucket results” and it will take you to the ICP results.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the purple instant ocean and I’m am definitely going to be sending out an icp test this month! It’s funny how some people read these results and don’t see an issue with the iron building. “Hans said it would” Hans also said it would dissipate quickly we see that is not happening. O well.
Here is a thread I found where someone sent out IO salt for an icp. On his results Iron was not detectable, which is not the same as the results in the article linked by @wmb0003. Which makes me wonder what results should be believed. I currently use Reef Crystals and I think I'm going to switch to the basic purple bucket Instant Ocean. I started off using Reef Crystals because I assumed it would help with trace elements, but I have started dosing those so I don't care if the salt has elevated levels or not.
If you send off a sample of IO for testing please let me know the results.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a thread I found where someone sent out IO salt for an icp. On his results Iron was not detectable, which is not the same as the results in the article linked by @wmb0003. Which makes me wonder what results should be believed. I currently use Reef Crystals and I think I'm going to switch to the basic purple bucket Instant Ocean. I started off using Reef Crystals because I assumed it would help with trace elements, but I have started dosing those so I don't care if the salt has elevated levels or not.

The link I just put above shows ICP for both IO and IORC.

wmb0003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I think there could be some confusion on the link I posted, the first article didn't mention if it was regular IO or reef crystals. Since it is showing Fe in it, I would assume he is testing RC instead of purple bucket but again, I am just guessing. Edit: the article actually does have both IO and IO RC

My point is, I do not think Iron present in new salt mix is the devil, maybe something else is going on with TMP salt and a side effect is high iron, or they changed the source for iron supplement, or something else. I don't know, I think it needs more investigation by the TM team.

Iron is one of the few trace elements Randy Holmes Farley actually doses to his tank.

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The link I just put above shows ICP for both IO and IORC.
Yep thanks. I started typing my response and then got busy with work so I didn't end up posting it until after your post. Plus the more data points the better.
Since every thing I see shows Reef Crystals as being high in several elements I think I going to switch. I had been considering switching to the cheap IO for a while since that is the one that Randy Holmes Farley said he uses. If it's good enough for the resident chemist then it's good enough for me.

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there could be some confusion on the link I posted, the first article didn't mention if it was regular IO or reef crystals. Since it is showing Fe in it, I would assume he is testing RC instead of purple bucket but again, I am just guessing.

My point is, I do not think Iron present in new salt mix is the devil, maybe something else is going on with TMP salt and a side effect is high iron, or they changed the source for iron supplement, or something else. I don't know, I think it needs more investigation by the TM team.

Iron is one of the few trace elements Randy Holmes Farley actually doses to his tank.
What about the chelating agent used in the Iron? Maybe its not necessarily the Fe showing up in the ICP but the binding agent they used changed?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there could be some confusion on the link I posted, the first article didn't mention if it was regular IO or reef crystals. Since it is showing Fe in it, I would assume he is testing RC instead of purple bucket but again, I am just guessing.

Maybe I am missing something the article from the link has both IO and IO RC. They both show iron being present. Every other ICP test for the purple IO that I can find online shows iron at or near 0.

I have been on the fence about switching salts anyway so I think I'm going to try he basic IO and see how my tank responds. As long as I don't see a negative effect on my tank I will keep using it since it's cheaper anyway.

wmb0003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe I am missing something the article from the link has both IO and IO RC. They both show iron being present. Every other ICP test for the purple IO that I can find online shows iron at or near 0.

I have been on the fence about switching salts anyway so I think I'm going to try he basic IO and see how my tank responds. As long as I don't see a negative effect on my tank I will keep using it since it's cheaper anyway.
You are right, the article has both. I revised my previous comment.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Out of curiosity ... Do you have any fish in your tank ? How heavy is the load. I'm wondering about your export and how you manage it while maintaining these beautiful corals

Hello we do have of fish. Fish are great for algae eating. Most of the export is through skimmer. we also feed very clean. we use American reef HPD and hang the food from a bag so nothing gets wasted.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back