• 07684581-746B-4F82-93E9-A88BE50FC716.jpeg
    07684581-746B-4F82-93E9-A88BE50FC716.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 79

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved the splice to a different system in its permanent spot.

Attachments

• 861271D0-8BA3-44A7-A066-C70356BE2B91.jpeg
    861271D0-8BA3-44A7-A066-C70356BE2B91.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 101
OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Moved the splice to a different system in its permanent spot.

Its looking great and i see it has nice crust now :) great job!

i think you had a question about the salt we are now using. We are using red sea blue bucket now and like it alot. we haven't tried the instant ocean yet

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its looking great and i see it has nice crust now :) great job!

i think you had a question about the salt we are now using. We are using red sea blue bucket now and like it alot. we haven't tried the instant ocean yet
Thankyou for the responses! I am going to switch on one tank to red sea but for the other tank keep the reef crystals -

Dhaleillama

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok folks, got my ICP test back, tank is about 4 months old, was doing great for the first 2+ months and then everything started going down hill. Anything in this test ( other than low salinity ) to be alarmed over?

Attachments

• Analyse181015.pdf
    128.9 KB · Views: 111

jsbzcmcdaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What issues are you having? My first concern would be the system only being 4 months old. I know some get lucky adding SPS that soon but in my opinion the system is not established enough and missing the necessary biodiversity / bacteria to keep SPS. From the ICP test the aluminum is high but that could be from GFO if you're running it.

Dhaleillama

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What issues are you having? My first concern would be the system only being 4 months old. I know some get lucky adding SPS that soon but in my opinion the system is not established enough and missing the necessary biodiversity / bacteria to keep SPS. From the ICP test the aluminum is high but that could be from GFO if you're running it.
Only gear I am running is normal gear and a skimmer, no gfo or nothing like that added.

But I did take 5lbs of my old tank 10+ year old rock and busted it up into the sump on initial set up during cycle. I'll post a couple pictures maybe it will make sense. But all my sps pretty much bleached out and died over 6 weeks, and I did pull a couple and dip and check while alive, and the rest I dipped as well and no pests, no eggs no nothing. But all my softies are growing just fine. I did lose 1 chalice, but all my other chalices are doing just fine.

Dhaleillama

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you check the difference, all the sps that was on the rocks are pretty much gone, they died off, what i could salvage is in my 15g tank coming back to life.

Dhaleillama

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did also have a massive cyano outbreak that coated the rocks and sand I did get cleaned up, would have have effected my sps and kill them off due to nutrient absorption?

Dhaleillama

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even having moved old rock over, that system is very, very young. Give it time to really establish.
I understand that part, but I know many keep SPS even in new tanks, I don't feel thats the reason they all bleached out and died randomly, but maybe I'm wrong, thats why I'm here. I only been doin SPS for the last 1.5 years and this is my first issue, but also first new tank. 60lbs of marco and 80lbs of sand. I did start the tank with turbo fritz 900, established sump rock, and after cycle it sat for another month as i also added Dr.Tims bacteria and Microbacter7 as well.

IF it will make a significant change I'm also willing to buy sand and rubble rock from aquabiomics or Tampa Bay reef rocks for biodiversity.

Dhaleillama

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also one thing left out since we are talking about PAR. The day after I took these par measurements I had another reefer tell me to bump the par up to 200 at the 180 par point (didn't sound like a big jump to me but also never done it before and always done 1-3% increases) and I feel thats when I started having the issues, but a couple days later put it back to normal. Maybe this is my fatal error, and over the next 6 weeks the SPS slowly died off over the quick par change and I really just caused my own demise.

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also one thing left out since we are talking about PAR. The day after I took these par measurements I had another reefer tell me to bump the par up to 200 at the 180 par point (didn't sound like a big jump to me but also never done it before and always done 1-3% increases) and I feel thats when I started having the issues, but a couple days later put it back to normal. Maybe this is my fatal error, and over the next 6 weeks the SPS slowly died off over the quick par change and I really just caused my own demise.
Well that's ur issue more than likely too. I had my par so low every SPS browned then died after checked my par and that was my problem. Remember when u buy SPS from other people too ask them what par do they have them. Because if they're sitting at around 350 and u put them at about 200 u might have issues. I noticed some of mine like the par lower than other SPS. So bring that par up. Not over night but if they aren't doing so good bring them up a bit quicker. Long as they have color you're good. I finally got a few pieces coloring up

Dhaleillama

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's ur issue more than likely too. I had my par so low every SPS browned then died after checked my par and that was my problem. Remember when u buy SPS from other people too ask them what par do they have them. Because if they're sitting at around 350 and u put them at about 200 u might have issues. I noticed some of mine like the par lower than other SPS. So bring that par up. Not over night but if they aren't doing so good bring them up a bit quicker. Long as they have color you're good. I finally got a few pieces coloring up
Ok I just wanted to get to the bottom of it was all and without an ICP test I could only guess I blasted them with par to fast and fried them all. I had the par low due to the tank transfer and was gradually working then back up in the new tank and some dude I won’t mention, not here anyway, said bump it to 200-220 your coral won’t even notice it. And against my own better judgment my dummy listened.

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I just wanted to get to the bottom of it was all and without an ICP test I could only guess I blasted them with par to fast and fried them all. I had the par low due to the tank transfer and was gradually working then back up in the new tank and some dude I won’t mention, not here anyway, said bump it to 200-220 your coral won’t even notice it. And against my own better judgment my dummy listened.
From now on ask what par SPS sitting at veggie you buy from someone else

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back