HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much Shane! Really appreciate you being so open about your methods and they are clearly working.

The part about 0-15 in 1 day with no ill effects is very helpful. I dosed heavy Nitrates today and will test tomorrow with Nyos kit to see where I'm at.
I def need to get some more astrea soon. I have mostly red banded trochus and blue legs. Seems to be one strain of algae they don't like in my tank. My Halloween urchin won't even touch it.

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also when you get a chance can you post up that MP40 schedule? I have 2 in a 48 x 32 x 20 and want to get atleast one more.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Potassium Chloride. 2 Tablespoons per gallon

Awesome answer thank you; I have plenty in stock...

IMG-4724.jpg

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hey im currently getting into acros and so far everything is encrusting nicely, only issue is that my phosphates are constantly dropping so i gotta dose 0.10 ppm phosphate per day so they dont fall to 0. Thing is im starting to grow algae, any experience with using fluconazole to kill bryopsis? And if so any effects on your acros?

what test kits are you using for po4?

I don't have experience with FLux I have done some research on it and i have read good reviews and other say that it crashed their sps tank. the only real reason to use flux is for Bryopsis.. fish will eat every other kind of algae including bubble algae. so, I have decided not to use it... in terms of growing algae IMO it also means your tank is becoming more established. Every established tank has algae and it grows :) it means your tank is on the right track.... but once you start to increase your nutrients more you will see more algae. For me i don't worry about because i focus more on what works for growing tenuis not trying to kill the algae. You need to have an insane cleanup crew of about 3 snails per gallon of water and also get fish that are known algae eaters like a unicorn tang and desjardini tang... also since i know algae is going to grow I use an Algae scrubber so it most of the algae in my tank grows there on the screen and then i remove it. You can use Chaeto also. I hope this helps and thanks for your question!

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Great thread, thanks for starting this and sharing. @shane backer what are you thoughts on GFO and GAC/Carbon. Do you still run it 24/7?
Thanks for your question!-

I don't ever run GFO and Carbon. I try and keep things as simple as possible and they are one less thing i have to change out and clean. I don't like GFO because it can strip the system fast of po4.. how do you know how much po4 is being removed? handheld po4 test kits are not that great. so, when you start new gfo IMO you may bring the po4 down so fast and have a mini po4 crash. Also with GFO i heard it can leech metals into the water if being used for too long. how do we know how long is to long lol? so i just don't mess with GFO overall. when it comes to Carbon-i don't like it.. i think it strips the water of stuff that tenuis like. I am not sure what but if people use carbon to suck up meds for example and it takes it out of the water. ..then what else is it taking out of the water? i am not sure. I noticed i get better PE with no Carbon.. so i just did away with carbon a few years ago... I am not an expert and still learning everybody. this is just my Opinion on it I hope this help!

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what test kits are you using for po4?

I don't have experience with FLux I have done some research on it and i have read good reviews and other say that it crashed their sps tank. the only real reason to use flux is for Bryopsis.. fish will eat every other kind of algae including bubble algae. so, I have decided not to use it... in terms of growing algae IMO it also means your tank is becoming more established. Every established tank has algae and it grows :) it means your tank is on the right track.... but once you start to increase your nutrients more you will see more algae. For me i don't worry about because i focus more on what works for growing tenuis not trying to kill the algae. You need to have an insane cleanup crew of about 3 snails per gallon of water and also get fish that are known algae eaters like a unicorn tang and desjardini tang... also since i know algae is going to grow I use an Algae scrubber so it most of the algae in my tank grows there on the screen and then i remove it. You can use Chaeto also. I hope this helps and thanks for your question!
I use the hanna checker. And yes i guess its just part of having an established tank. I will setu0 a refugium soon. Decided to add the fluco to treat some bryopsis patches that im seeing, once its gona ill put the chaeto right away so it keeps the uglies controlled.

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your question!-

I don't ever run GFO and Carbon. I try and keep things as simple as possible and they are one less thing i have to change out and clean. I don't like GFO because it can strip the system fast of po4.. how do you know how much po4 is being removed? handheld po4 test kits are not that great. so, when you start new gfo IMO you may bring the po4 down so fast and have a mini po4 crash. Also with GFO i heard it can leech metals into the water if being used for too long. how do we know how long is to long lol? so i just don't mess with GFO overall. when it comes to Carbon-i don't like it.. i think it strips the water of stuff that tenuis like. I am not sure what but if people use carbon to suck up meds for example and it takes it out of the water. ..then what else is it taking out of the water? i am not sure. I noticed i get better PE with no Carbon.. so i just did away with carbon a few years ago... I am not an expert and still learning everybody. this is just my Opinion on it I hope this help!
Im a firm believer that people manage to overdo a lot of things in this hobby and using gfo and carbon is one. The last part of your post is the most important part though. We all know you're an experience reefer. Having your attitude about learning is part of why you're so successful imo. People get in trouble when they think they have it all figured out. Thanks for taking the time to explain your experiences.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Also when you get a chance can you post up that MP40 schedule? I have 2 in a 48 x 32 x 20 and want to get atleast one more.

please see attached screenshot of my Schudule.

I use Ecotech mp40s in my main system 2 up top and 2 below..

i try to have them run as random as possible at different time intervals. For example i put as many speeds and different programs every few hours on each one. that was it is the most random flow so nothing the same and constant change.

ecto.png

Last edited:

HolySmoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please see attached screenshot of my Schudule.

I use 4 Radion mp40s in my main system 2 up top and 2 below..

i try to have them run as random as possible at different time intervals. For example i put as many speeds and different programs every few hours on each one. that was it is the most random flow so nothing the same and constant change.

ecto.png

thank you very much for the screenshot sir! Just ordered 100 astrea snails. Time to turn up the nutrients. Never been scared of algae and agree microfauna is the backbone to the reef but im about to pour a lot of gas on that fire.

Just want to share for anyone who needs snails.
Mysaltwaterfishstore shipped a 100 pack overnight from keylargo to NY and it came out to $94.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I thought we need to reduce the flow during the night ?
I don't know about reducing flow at night... If anything maybe more flow at night to transport the detritus and blow the coral off from anything settling on it and rotting ect..

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Finally got my ICP triton test back on the new tank water.

It looks like I have a lot of work to do because the parameters are not what I would consider ideal. Shouldn’t be log though to get them in order just a few tweaks should do.

Some comments to note and things I will need to work on are:

• Aluminum which is 102 and very high
  • Iodine is super high at 104- I don’t like it over 60 I don’t dose it in this tank I wonder why it’s so high. I Haven’t done any water changes in the system yet so wonder where its coming from
  • Po4 is super high at .49. I don’t run a skimmer or Algae scrubber in the system yet and it is time to add them. Hopefully this and 15% weekly water changes will get it in check. I like my po4 at .15
  • No3 doesn’t show on triton test but from previous manually tests and my notes in past postings I need to get the no3 down to 16-32 before its safe for tenuis.
On conclusion. I will order a skimmer right away and need to start doing 15% water changes. Hopefully can start adding coral in 60-90 days if not sooner. Will post my battles as I try and get the above 4 parameters in check stay tuned!!!

1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png

MentalNote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Super nice picture.

Thanks for sharing your methods and thoughts on this thread Shane - I have been closely watching it. It's some great insight for a hobbyist like me.

My nitrates and phosphates tend to be quite high. I'm trying to pull them down, closer to your levels, and see if I can get my tenius to pop. Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Wow. Super nice picture.

Thanks for sharing your methods and thoughts on this thread Shane - I have been closely watching it. It's some great insight for a hobbyist like me.

My nitrates and phosphates tend to be quite high. I'm trying to pull them down, closer to your levels, and see if I can get my tenius to pop. Fingers crossed.
Thank you for reading and i'm glad i can provide some insight! what is your po4 and your no3?

MentalNote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates are ~32 and phosphates .12.

I'm going to try to pull my phosphates down to your .04-.08 range and see if any colors increase intensity. My plan is to use carbon dosing to do this - which should also reduce nitrates some.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back