HOB Overflow for 75g. Need help deciding

cybrook1421

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning my first reef tank (75g that is currently freshwater) and am having trouble deciding on the HOB overflow that I am going to use. I cannot drill the tank because it is tempered so a HOB overflow is needed. Since it is in our living room, it would need to be as quiet as possible (requirement of the husband). I would like it to have 2 drains so that I can modify it (Herbie) so that it is quieter. I was debating between the Eshopps and CPR.

Yesterday, I ordered/purchased the CPR CS 102 overflow because I like the 2 drain waterfall system and the attachment of the aqualifter to help it keep siphon. It also seemed bigger and able to hold more flow. But now I am finding that the aqualifter pumps are disconinued. Is there an alternative to the aqualifter that I could use? I have rearched as much as I can and have seen a few ideas of dosing pumps, fountain pumps, tying it in to the return pump somehow, or a powerhead with a venturi kit.

I am worried about the quietness of the Eshopps and the reliability of the siphon holding. I don't want to restart the siphon every time I turn off the return pump, do a water change or the power goes out.

All in all, do I stop the shipment of the CPR and go with the Eshopps or do I figure out an alternative to the aqualifter?

Thank you all for any help or advice!

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks that aqualifter is discontinued.

I bought a 1/2 dozen peristaltic pumps on ebay to upgrade my dosing pump. They do draw air and build a vacuum. I'm not sure how long they would last running continuously in an overflow application, but you can buy four of them and run two at a time for less money than one aqualifter.

1615765971915.png

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure your back glass is tempered? I've not heard of a standard builder using tempered glass on any panes except the bottom.
For reliability, and after confirming the back glass is not tempered, I'd personally rather use a 'ghost style' overflow

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a Fluvial 407 canister right now on my 75. The spray bar [extra accessory] disperses the return water evenly across almost the entire length of the tank. I love this compared to an HOB dumping water in like waterfall.

The HOBs can get quite noisy after a few months of use. Also, I don't necessarily want 1+ gallon of water pulling on the back of the tank.

The canisters have nice hoses that aren't an eye sore on the top of the tank.

If you want more power there the fluval FX4 & 6 line.

OP
OP
C

cybrook1421

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks that aqualifter is discontinued.

I bought a 1/2 dozen peristaltic pumps on ebay to upgrade my dosing pump. They do draw air and build a vacuum. I'm not sure how long they would last running continuously in an overflow application, but you can buy four of them and run two at a time for less money than one aqualifter.

That's good to know about the dosing pumps. I have not yet heard of someone doing this with the CPR overflow.

Are you sure your back glass is tempered? I've not heard of a standard builder using tempered glass on any panes except the bottom.
For reliability, and after confirming the back glass is not tempered, I'd personally rather use a 'ghost style' overflow

We haven't tested it yet, but my tank was produced during the time Aqueon can't guarantee what type of glass was used and I don't remember from when I bought it what stickers were on it. Plus, my husband is quite uncomfortable drilling the 75g since it is more expensive then a 40B.

I'm using a Fluvial 407 canister right now on my 75. The spray bar [extra accessory] disperses the return water evenly across almost the entire length of the tank. I love this compared to an HOB dumping water in like waterfall.

The HOBs can get quite noisy after a few months of use. Also, I don't necessarily want 1+ gallon of water pulling on the back of the tank.

The canisters have nice hoses that aren't an eye sore on the top of the tank.

If you want more power there the fluval FX4 & 6 line.

I think you might be confused on what I was asking. I am changing the freshwater tank (which I already have a cannister for) to a saltwater. Thanks for replying though!

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a test you can read about online which shows you how to check if your glass is tempered.
There are also sites which tell you how far from an edge to drill glass with different hole sizes/glass thicknesses and such.
Glass stores near you may be willing to drill for you once you decide that is the way you want to go.

I'd not use an HOB overflow. Get a 'ghost style' overflow and you'll never look back.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a drilled tank so can't speak for that.
My 75 now was going for 2 years before I put in my sump.
CPR makes quality products. They have pretty good customer service. I didn't want anything else (powerhead) in my tank so I've never used theirs.
I run an eshopps 1200 right now and I've had issues with it that I've had to fix. It's only really good for 800gph max, no matter what it says. I run 692 through it. It seems fine with that, maybe could take a bit more.
Noise wise it's okay but I've modified that as well. No Herbie just messing with it. I don't want to go on with a build thread about a siphon overflow but once I messed with it I'm happy with it.
Lifereef makes some bomb boxes. Call him and he'll get one made up in a bit for you. He's the most knowledgeable person I've talked to.
His box is a bit big so I went with the eshopps. I also got it in 2 days-kinda impatient. Wanted my sump going.
He sells a quiet kit for it too. Just ask. It's only one return and I wanted two but the quality is second to none.
I have absolutely no problem with a HOB overflow and they work in situations such as ours. Sometimes you have to go with what you can.
If you have any more questions please ask and I'll answer the best I can.
Have fun always.
Joel

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a test you can read about online which shows you how to check if your glass is tempered.
There are also sites which tell you how far from an edge to drill glass with different hole sizes/glass thicknesses and such.
Glass stores near you may be willing to drill for you once you decide that is the way you want to go.

I'd not use an HOB overflow. Get a 'ghost style' overflow and you'll never look back.
I’ve never heard of a place willing to drill a tank. The risk of damage is too high and they would then be responsible for replacing the tank. I’ve used HOB overflows, if setup properly they are reliable.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back