Hole in Wrasse?!

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed my wrasse had a little hole in hit top fin yesterday, didn’t think much of it dismissed it as probably scuffing himself up while burying himself. Today the hole is considerably larger and he has a white circle in his side. I have 4 other fish none of which show similar symptoms and the wrasse is eating well. What could this be? Photo of my parameters below as well

66D673FF-6C91-4020-BB75-5A9ADC0E9FB7.jpeg 4AEC280F-8F40-4DC1-A6BF-75EBCE40CE55.jpeg 3191BEA1-54C3-458A-B368-D7921D3A0AE3.jpeg EE7AFDB6-8BB8-446A-B584-018D621F76DD.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the wrasse and what other fish are in with it? Do you have an available quarantine tank?

Jay

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the wrasse and what other fish are in with it? Do you have an available quarantine tank?

Jay
I’ve had it since March, 2 clowns a Midas Blenny and a goby. I do have a qt tank but to net this wrasse would be near impossible

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had it since March, 2 clowns a Midas Blenny and a goby. I do have a qt tank but to net this wrasse would be near impossible
I don't trust Midas blennies a whole lot - they can be really nippy and sly. However, newly acquired yellow wrasses are really prone to a disease called Uronema. There isn't really any treatment for that, and this fish isn't showing classic signs of that disease, so I would circle back to possible aggression from the Midas blenny.
This could also be a primary bacterial infection, but treating that would require moving it to a treatment tank and dosing with antibiotics.

Jay

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't trust Midas blennies a whole lot - they can be really nippy and sly. However, newly acquired yellow wrasses are really prone to a disease called Uronema. There isn't really any treatment for that, and this fish isn't showing classic signs of that disease, so I would circle back to possible aggression from the Midas blenny.
This could also be a primary bacterial infection, but treating that would require moving it to a treatment tank and dosing with antibiotics.

Jay
What antibiotics would I use for treatment? I haven’t noticed any aggression from the Blenny but I’ll keep an eye out

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What antibiotics would I use for treatment? I haven’t noticed any aggression from the Blenny but I’ll keep an eye out
Jay knows this one. . . . Rather than keep an eye on Midas or others who will be on their best behavior when youre watching tank, Grab your cell phone and place on video mode. Record for about an hour and drop a little food and walk away. Review video later and see if you see any aggression which happens at feeding and via boredom.
Can a bite mark on fin cause this? It can

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may never directly see the blenny do anything - looking at your wrasse, it has only a couple of lesions that took a split second to occur - odds are, you'll never see it happen. That said, the hole in the dorsal fin is NOT a common location for one fish to bite another one.
As far as antibiotics, you want a broad spectrum, gram negative type - Furan-2, Neoplex or even Maracyn 2.

Jay

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back