How Are You Measuring Flow for UV?

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve come across a small handful of threads, and the answers I see are either wildly outside my technical abilities, or jUsT GuEsS (insert Sponge Bob meme). It kind of makes me wonder if people aren’t ACTUALLY getting the benefits of UV….

I do have an Apex, but the reviews for their flow meters look even worse than the ones for their AFS (which is… quite an accomplishment).

So is there really no simple/accurate way to monitor flow?

Stealthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My quarantine tank/molly tank is 55 and I run a 65 gph pump that is probably closer to 30 gph through a commercial UV(50 watt?I can't remember). Long contact time so everything gets nuked. Own pump own loop.

My main tank I run an 80 wattish with like 550 gph and that's just to keep the refugium algae in the refugium basically and some still ends up in the tank.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
short answer: I'm guessing ...

I WAS using Neptune Flow sensors but 4 out of 5 purchased have failed to work; support says something to do with magnetic/electrical interference...erh sumthing erh other... blah blah ...
Anyway, following ...I'd like to know also

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just routed the output hose on my UV into a 5 gallon bucket and timed how long it took to fill up to calculate the flow rate. Alternatively you can get a rough approximation of flow rate by looking at the gph of your pump and do some math. My return pumps run at around 80% of the theoretical flow rate due to efficiency loss of the manifold plumbing it feeds into.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aye use the age old bucket trick! :) Exactly like @slingfox is saying! Far the easiest, cheapest and (..some would argue!) most precise way :)

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1696409354356.png

Sanking flow meter - still hooking it all up so not sure how accurate they are!

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve used several of the apex flow meters without issue. Just make sure to use the same size or slightly larger. Only issue is that the actual sensor body has an odd thread (I believe it is BSPP) so it is hard to find replacement converters once you glue the originals.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1696409354356.png

Sanking flow meter - still hooking it all up so not sure how accurate they are!
Great bit of kit- impossible to get Sanking outside of far east / Australia area sadly! :confused: At least here in Europe. Had a LFS in Australia shipping me plumbing bits for my custom Cade plumbing job..

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 41.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back