How are you spending money on this hobby as of June 15th 2023? NO POLITICS!!!

How are you spending money on this hobby as of June 15th 2023?

• Buying as usual

Votes: 34 40.0%
  • Not as often

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Only the bare necessities

Votes: 18 21.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 12 14.1%

• Total voters

sadrobotz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm purchasing my lights at the end of this month when i get paid, so that will be the only reef/tank related thing i can. i have RO water saved from the last time i filled up and 1/2 bucket of salt, so i just have to ignore any sales/facebook posts/etc. lol

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said other because I had a huge spending spree Mar-May setting up the new tank, and costs are tapering now. My tank is full, so it'll just be maintenance costs for a while, assuming everything goes well. Time to watch thinks grow!

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally getting back into reefing after selling my maintenance and installation company and moving cross country almost a year ago. Picked up a 60 breeder during the Petco sale and a Tidal 75 to get a tank cycled. My old LFS has been graciously babysitting my coral collection since then.

Excited to get things going again!

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additives mostly like ESV 2 part. I’m up to 23 mL of each on my SPS dominant nano and the amount just keeps growing every 1-2 weeks. I’m happy that my corals uptake of cal/alk is growing consistently. I’m not too happy that I’ll be purchasing ESV 2 part more frequently in the future.

RSNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m constantly looking at the forums here for used / decent priced equipment. I’m beginning to prefer buying from the folks on here rather than new because the prices are good and I’ve been fortunate to have bought from some great guys on here.

I’m all set with lights, filtration, and tanks, but slowly trying to upgrade my power heads to eventually be all mp10s or mp40s depending on the tank.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said other as well. Relatively new tank, so I have to get products regardless of the price. Although I will say I'm very cautious about spending and will usually wait for good deals

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
VOTE VOTE VOTE!

Mathew0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to buy used equipment as cheap as possible. I also get most of my stuff from local club members at low cost or Frag-it-Forward. Salt keeps going up . We want a school of anthias when they get in locally. My Hydra 52 just a few days after finally getting it connected to a Director . AI is not optimistic about being able to fix it, so I’ll be probably be buying a 64 soon.
Seems like year 1 is the really spending phase, then just keep things stable watch things grow.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not related to season or anything, but I literally moved the tank yesterday to the inlaws for a few months while we sell the house and wait for our new build to be done to move it again. Not buying a lot because I don't want as much livestock/corals/etc to stress about during the moves.

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm burning through $$$ right now. Upgrading my 55g to a 125g. The wife and I came to an agreement that all my OT can be spent on fish stuff until this tank and my 120 are set up the way I would like, then the OT goes to other stuff. I got paid Wednesday and by Thursday it was all gone, but I've got some goodies coming in over the next week.

JasonG1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 6 weeks in and still in new build and acquire mode...new protein skimmer coming today. Amazon, UPS, and Fedex have regular stops at my house now. If they don't have something to deliver to me that day, they knock on the door to make sure I'm OK and still alive. :)

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chose other as I'm setting up a new 200 tank and the silly federal reserve notes seem to fly away from me just as easily as they were printed. As much as I spend in this rich man's hobby that is essentially a terrible financial decision, I try to transfer much more into various non depreciating form factors. I'm not looking forward to the energy bills to come. I expect another $3k in livestock spending before things start to slow to a MUCH more responsible pace.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back