How do I temporarily attach a float valve?

RussC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to use a float valve. Got a new 5 stage BRS RODI system. Super fired up. Now I can use a float valve to shut it off when the water is full. However, I want to be able to move the valve between reservoirs. I have a Brute trashcan I use for water changes. That's 20 gallons a change. I also use a 5 gallon bucket for refilling my top off. Want to use the float valve there too.

I've tried a couple ideas. But haven't yet nailed it. Figured I'd reach out there and see what other ideas exist. No need to recreate the wheel if I can avoid it.

Thoughts and suggestions? I figured I'd attache the valve to something that can then be clipped to the side of the Brute trash can when I need it there or clipped to the side of the 5 gallon when I need it there.

lyscer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how well this will translate to a bucket, but it may give you some ideas. I didn't want to drill my sump for a float valve so I bent acrylic (plexiglass) and drilled a hole for the float valve to go in. I was going to drill the back of the bracket and use a nylon screw to snug it up so that it couldn't move, but my bend was so tight that it holds to the tank by itself and I don't need one. You would probably need something like a screw though to hold it in place for the different thicknesses (5 gal bucket vs brute trash can).

This exact setup has been running for 3 years now without a single problem on my tank.

m1EIXWt.jpg

j1GdI44.jpg

I have a setup similar to what you described and I just have float valves ($16/each) installed in each of the containers with a john guest fitting so I can turn flow on/off to the various containers.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
RussC

RussC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it! That does give me a few ideas. Back to the drawing board. Tell me, where did you find the plexiglass. I went by Lowes and looked and that stuff is incredibly expensive. I need to find somewhere that has some scraps.

lyscer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually looked at lowes/home depot and found the same thing as you that is was really expensive. Unfortunately I got mine from a sign and plastics store near me that has scrap pieces they sell by the pound. May be worth it to call around to a few places like that and see if they have scraps. I forgot to mention that mine is like 1/4" thick.

OP
OP
RussC

RussC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed how thick it was. I'd love a piece of plexiglass. That would be ideal. I'll reach out to the sign shops. That's a good suggestion.

OP
OP
RussC

RussC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built something out of pvc. Not perfect but functioning for the moment. Found some acrylic but not thick enough for my taste. So until I do, I’ll stick with my Pvc contraption.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 65 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back