How do you feed you corals?

How do you provide nutrients to your corals? (Select all that apply)

• Keep water params consistent.

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Just allow the fish food and waste to feed the corals.

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Broadcast feed powder like roids, chili, etc.

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Broadcast feed live phytoplankton.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Broadcast feed live copepods.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spot feed meaty foods.

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Spot feed prepared coral foods.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Ab+ or other Amenos

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

MattPLaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!
I am curious what everyone does to feed or otherwise provide nutrients for their corals.
I'd love to see pictures of your tank, hear your feeding regimen, and your experience with what works and what doesn't.

Some background:
I am about 3 months into the hobby and have a softy and LPS tank that is 40 gallons. As i am new and impatient I feel like my corals, although looking super healthy, are not growing as fast as they should.

In doing hours of research i have gotten so many different impressions on what corals need, and how to provide for them.

Currently I am feeding only my fish, twice a day with LRS reef frenzy. Nothing else, this way I am trying to establish a baseline. I am hoping this pole will help me and other new comers in the future to decide how to approach feeding corals.

Thank you all! I am excited to hear what everyone had to say!

Last edited:

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a little phyto every day or two, reef roids and benepets lightly once a week. The fish get LRS reef frenzy, PE Mysis and ROE twice a day. I could probably get away with just feeding the fish, the LRS feeds the corals too as long as it’s not rinsed.

OP
OP
MattPLaw

MattPLaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a little phyto every day or two, reef roids and benepets lightly once a week. The fish get LRS reef frenzy, PE Mysis and ROE twice a day. I could probably get away with just feeding the fish, the LRS feeds the corals too as long as it’s not rinsed.
I got some benefits, I am excited to try that along with the reef frenzy.
So you see good growth with that combo? How long has your tank been going?

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some benefits, I am excited to try that along with the reef frenzy.
So you see good growth with that combo? How long has your tank been going?
I mainly use the Benepets and Reef Roids to feed my Goni’s and Gorgonians. I have seen some decent growth on the Goni’s, but they are a pretty slow grower. Gorgonians grow like weeds. My main tank has been going for about 9 years. If you do try the powdered foods, start slowly and test the nutrients. No need to make big changes:)!

OP
OP
MattPLaw

MattPLaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mainly use the Benepets and Reef Roids to feed my Goni’s and Gorgonians. I have seen some decent growth on the Goni’s, but they are a pretty slow grower. Gorgonians grow like weeds. My main tank has been going for about 9 years. If you do try the powdered foods, start slowly and test the nutrients. No need to make big changes:)!
Thanks! I definitely just want to keep dumping things in and messing with it but I am trying to show some self restraint. Lol

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, your tank is still young and it is better to go slow than having to fix an issue later on that could have been avoided.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 30 41.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 35 48.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back