How Do You Feel About Feather Dusters?

New2Saltwater

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 2, 2016
Messages
41
Reaction score
21
Location
Kansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I am new to saltwater and wanted your opinions and experience with feather dusters. Are there any benefits to having them? Is the care level easy? Do they requirement special lighting?
 
Very easy to care for, they are nonphotosynthetic, so lighting doesn't matter. They don't have any benefit other than aesthetics, but can fill in a low light area nicely.
 
They are great in any reef tank, you basically have to do nothing for them. Easy to take care of and I personally think they are cool. When I got into the hobby it was one of the first thing I had.
 
Since they are filter feeders, when I had some, I made sure I fed a food that had tiny particles that would suspend in the current to feed them to make sure they were getting enough to eat.
 
I have had a few of them, but something keeps eating them, so keep watch and see if anything is picking at them...I gave up on them
Copper Band fish will eat them in a hurry....I had 5 dusters and when I added a copperband to the tank... the dusters were gone the very first night, didn't even take him 24 hours to eat them all. Then about three or four months later, the copperband died....maybe I should of got more dusters for him to eat?
 
I had a few in my tank..I'm pretty sure the peppermint shrimp I added to take care of some aptasia wiped them out instead :(
 
Lol your name is funny what happens 4yrs down the road when you're no longer new 2 saltwater?
 
They're often a tasty snack for wrasse and copperband butterflies also :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 20.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 35 32.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 15 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new