How long do reef tanks last?

What's the longest you have ever had one reef set up without an upgrade, crash or teardown?

• I've not been in the hobby more than a year

Votes: 157 16.3%
  • 1 year or less

Votes: 74 7.7%
  • 1 - 2 years

Votes: 150 15.6%
  • 2 - 3 years

Votes: 135 14.0%
  • 3 - 5 years

Votes: 128 13.3%
  • 5 - 7 years

Votes: 78 8.1%
  • 7 - 10 years

Votes: 82 8.5%
  • 10+ Years (looking at you Paul B)

Votes: 159 16.5%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Happy Monday friends! Hope you had a good weekend and here's to a great week ahead!

I wanted to kick off the week with a question that I've thought about before and wanted to get your input. How long do reef tanks last? Ok obviously this is a loaded question with many answers and variables but let's talk "on average." So do me a favor and answer the following questions.

1. On average how long do you think that a reef tank lasts before it's upgraded, crashed or just shut down?

2. What's the longest you've ever had the same reef system set up? (without an upgrade to bigger and without a total crash or shut down)

reefsavvy-5.jpg

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of a silly question in the title but it really depends on the situation of the owner. I’ve been lucky enough to have lived in my home for around 9 years now. I’ve had my current tank set up for around 8 of those years. As PaulB has shown there really isn’t any reason they can’t be set up indefinitely with the right care.

I think one of the only main restrictions can be deep sand beds. I’ve heard of those going south after being up for a long time.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. On average how long do you think that a reef tank lasts before it's upgraded, crashed or just shut down?

Probably shorter than most foks would think! For me the median is abut 4 years,

2. What's the longest you've ever had the same reef system set up? (without an upgrade to bigger and without a total crash or shut down)

Had a tank up and running for almost 10 years. I have a bad case of upgradeitis so most don't get past 4 years.

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 7 years of reefing, I've had 3 tanks, and gone through 2 moves. Because of that, the longest I've had so far is just about 2 years. My display tank is currently the largest I can fit in any room in my main living space, so I'm stuck with that tank until I can upgrade my house first. Until then, the basement is slowly filling up with smaller tanks

Never had a tank crash, so lucky that hasn't been a factor for me.

benscorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say about 6 years. After that you usually get tired of the same corals and fish and just want to set up a whole new tank or get out of the hobby altogether.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my 180 set up since 2002. It lasted about 10 years before I had a serious GHA outbreak that killed 90% of my corals and caused me to tear it down, bleach and muriatic acid all of the rock and then treat with lanthanum chloride. My current setup has been running since 2012. So 8+ years. I'm hoping some lessons learned in the last crash are going to keep mine going for a while longer. But as @ca1ore said, I've already got a serious case of upgrade-itits, so we will see how much longer the 180 lasts...

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crashed 2017-2017 upgraded fed 2020. The only thing I upgraded was size of tank. All equipment lr and sand where kept.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd guess the hobby-wide average is less than a year. I'd say given proper maintenance and equipment choices/life choices/etc indefinitely.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. I would guess it's around 1 year. Many people don't make it past the first year. Or they upgrade a couple of times meaning even if the 3rd tank makes it 3 years the average age is still only 1.

2. I don't know how to age my system. I bought the tank in 2006, and a few pieces of rock and even one mushroom I still have in the system predate the tank. In 2014 I upgraded to a 180 but I eventually plumbed the 112 gallon back in. In 2016 I moved and the 180 broke in transit and the 112 gallon became the main display again. It hasn't physically moved in 4 years but it has been up and running a lot longer then that. It had many crashes mostly in the earlier years but it's still the same rock, one really old fish and a few corals that have been in for many years. Truth be told I would upgrade the tank today but I don't want to go bigger until I am in a permanent home. That might actually be this house, but I hope not.

_MG_2641.JPG

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current 29 gallon has been running since late 2010. It is probably at its best right now....went from hairy softy tank with high nitrates and phosphates to almost zero for both and have LPS and some SPS now. My clown fish are 14.

Some of the rock and coral has been wet since 2000. Never really shut down, just upgrade, downgrade, I did have a heat meltdown in 2003, but just recured the rock in tank, didn't do a total shut down/dry out.

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve started having tanks 28 years ago. 5 yrs ago I converted my 70 gallon bow front into saltwater 1 year later my brand new 180 gallon room divider was up and running sadly it cracked on me within 5 month and was not repairable. Start all over and got a 225 gallon and it’s running since March 2017

Ann Enomy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going on 7 years for my current tank setup. I have changed out the filtration systems several times but main DT is the same. I would say it just has “settled in” in the last year. I am finally at the point where I do 15 min of maintenance a day and the tank is otherwise on autopilot.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Longest I've gone was 7 years, no major issues until my tank got velvet and an over abundance of cyano, and a cone snail that ate all my fish, even the ones with velvet....crazy stuff. Now I QT all my new fish additions

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I had my 210g up for over 12 years before I had to move to new tank. Same size, just new tank. In the move process I lost a ton and decided to go a different route for corals.

I think it depends really on what you consider take down or upgrade. I have changed over my corals to new kinds (fragging, dying, giving away) when I began keeping gorgs. Now, I have sold or given away all those and am keeping mostly softies. So, does this count as upgrade or take down?

I think as we learn, we change our ideas of animals we want to keep. So we are constantly upgrading to something else we want.

If I had to guess the time period most keep one system type running I would say 3-4 years. Then we as reefers decide to try something new or more challenging or less maintenance or just get bored.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back