How long do reef tanks last?

What's the longest you have ever had one reef set up without an upgrade, crash or teardown?

• I've not been in the hobby more than a year

Votes: 157 16.3%
  • 1 year or less

Votes: 74 7.7%
  • 1 - 2 years

Votes: 150 15.6%
  • 2 - 3 years

Votes: 135 14.0%
  • 3 - 5 years

Votes: 128 13.3%
  • 5 - 7 years

Votes: 78 8.1%
  • 7 - 10 years

Votes: 82 8.5%
  • 10+ Years (looking at you Paul B)

Votes: 159 16.5%

• Total voters

Peter Steinberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all matters! Most of my systems last more than 5 years, but the last one set up in December in a Marineland reef ready 220 cracked and spilled all over the floor in less than 5 months! a month after set up I contacted Marineland, they agreed it didn't look good and needed replacement, after 3 months and 3 different Marineland representatives and providing everything needed, Marineland stopped responding and returning phone calls! it ended spilling out and destroying more than the tank!

If you have USAA Homeowners insurance, USAA will only cover damage to your home, will only litigate for the deductible and what they paid for repairs, they will not cover your losses even if your losses are 3 times theirs. USAA is not good insurance, ask your insurance company what they cover, you will be surprised at what they don't, it is a lot!

Crotalus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 200 Gallon Oceanic was over 30 years old when I retired it and I removed it for scratches and etched glass not seal failure.
I put 2 Marinepure blocks in the sump 2 months before the change. I threw away the crushed coral on the bottom and replaced it with Fiji Pink. I threw away the wet dry filter. I moved the Marinpure over to the new sump.
I lost nothing at all.

guysmiley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
entirely up to the silicone job ;) most silicone lasts around 10 years once its lost its elasticity your in trouble . something to keep an eye on for sure.. happy reefing

Peter Steinberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oddly enough just 2 weeks ago my 180g started leaking a slow drip along the bottom seal after 10yrs.

Only 1 drip caught by a 5gal buck and leaking about a half-gallon of water per day.

Gathering things and pulling the trigger on a 220g 72x24x30 from Planet Aquarium thru my local LFS store (who are awesome) in about a month

I'm too clumsy to reseal a 6ft bottom plate. I would totally scew it up with a 4am CRASH in the middle of the night from my reseal
After my 220 blowout from Marineland, I already had a Planet Aquarium 310 not yet set up, because I was on a universal sump in basement I had an overnight reef in an amazing Planet Aquarium 310! I will log back in with my phone and post a photo, it is only 3 weeks old!

Scott97062

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started mine in 1993. I replaced it in 2004, not because the tank failed but the cabinet did. I made the new cabinet better and lined it with stainless steel panels so the saltwater wouldn't get to the wood. The new cabinet was also larger with more room for the sump, filtration equipment and lights. 16 years later everything is good.

20191101_104510.jpg 20191101_104455.jpg 20200124_100557.jpg

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently had to redo the tank because dinoflagellates killed all the bristle worms in the sand. Ammonia was about to skyrocket so I tore it down, cleaned the rock and replaced the sand. Still dealing with it but I’m waiting on some TBS rock for biodiversity! My tank ran for 2.5 years before the crash.

weamdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who says upgrades need to have the clock restart? I just keep adding new tanks. I will admit to tearing down a 40g breeder double decker and replacing with a single 75g. My longest running tank is a 28g cube that i started soon after getting back in the hobby after home purchase. Been running for like 8yrs with maybe a 5g water change a year with just softies.

MexiReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 1/2 half years. It would have been longer but a divorce forced my hand. I have a new tank that is going on 1 1/2 years now.

I think they can go indefinitely with correct and consistent care.

serious question. how did you managed taking the tank after the divorce? was friendly enough to just move it? I do not know if I would have the emotional strenght to plan accordingly to move a reef tank during a dispute.

Thunderrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I wish I could say my tank has been going for a long time but I’ve only been in the hobby for about 4 months. I started with a 38gal bowfront tank (biggest the wife would let me get to start). I have a HOB equipment and cords coming out making it look like a crazy octopus trying to escape my tank LOL. I’ve already told her at the 1.5 year mark when I’ve shown her my success that I’m going to upgrade my tank. So far I’m running a mixed reef with mostly LPS and zoa’s with one red cap monti. So far everything has been growing and healthy but I did lose one fish to jumping (which I did get a lid after that). Watching my corals grow has been an amazing experience and I’m hoping when my son gets a little older he will get involved as well, he does help me feed right now.

Sorry i know it’s a little rambling but I’m so glad I got into the hobby and found the amazing R2R community!

musicreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the length of time someone keeps a reef tank depends on a couple of things.
First: the amount of time reading, researching and visiting different local fish stores before setting up that first tank. Many newcomers don't realize the amount of time and expense it takes to have a nice tank and then they are overwhelmed and give up.
Second: what stage in life you are in. If lets say you're in High School and going off to college you might not have someone to give your tank the attention it needs, you may shut it down. If you are recently engaged or married you are most certainly going to move a couple of times, maybe a few children, saving for a larger home or college fund, there goes the tank.
Now I think once you are in your forties (dependent on how many relationships and marriages you've had, you may be broke) is the best time for a long term reef tank.

VAFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One year. Hope this tank makes it a lot longer. Going on 3 months now.

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as as your electric power will last I had a 12 gallon tank that had life in it about 12 years lost power during a bad snow storm for 3 days with no flow and low temperatures the inhabitants of my tank did not survive.There have been outages during warmer times of the year that may have lasted 24 to 36 hours and they survived when I used a battery operated air pump

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 68 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back