How often do you blow out your rockwork?

How often do you "blow out" (with a pump, turkey baster, etc.) your rock work?

• Once a week or more

Votes: 272 23.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 202 17.1%
  • A couple times a year

Votes: 131 11.1%
  • Once a year

Votes: 32 2.7%
  • Never

Votes: 218 18.4%
  • When I think of it

Votes: 186 15.7%
  • With Water Changes

Votes: 143 12.1%

• Total voters

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to start a poll to see how regularly people blow out their rock work.

How often do you blow your rock work out and how do you do it?

It's something I've started doing a few times a week, and since doing so I feel like my general tank health has really improved. Random clumps of algae have been disappearing and corals seem happier with better polyp extension too.

My hypothesis is this helps get all the gunk out of the rock work that acts as (essentially) fertilizer to algae, as well as encourages liverock to absorb excess phosphates. I also believe phosphates wicking from the rock work, into the bases of large SPS colonies where their base gets minimal flow due to growth could lead to RTN and STN events.

Those are just my hypotheses, and I would be curious to hear anyone else's thoughts/experiences!

Last edited by a moderator:

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to choose the first one, although the reality is that it happens 24/7/365. I have a couple powerheads on either sideof the tank near the bottom whose only purpose is to maintain excellent flow in and behind the rocks.

OP
OP
CrunchyBananas

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to choose the first one, although the reality is that it happens 24/7/365. I have a couple powerheads on either sideof the tank near the bottom whose only purpose is to maintain excellent flow in and behind the rocks.
This is one of the reasons I asked, I've had tanks with crazy flow and blowing out the rock work still cleans out crevices inevitably. It's simply unrealistic (in my experience) to have enough flow to clear out every single crevice, I'd say grab a turkey baster and give it a shot. It may surprise you!

Even bare bottom tanks with numerous panta rhei pumps I've been able to get detritus out regularly!

OP
OP
CrunchyBananas

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm already fairly surprised with how often most reefers blow out their rock work vs how little I ever encounter it in regular maintenance discussions!

BobbyCline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never...seems to be working out OK.

8F8A1999-9E6C-4540-AB58-0D5C029D4033.jpeg

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently doing it daily. I slacked off for a while and my rocks are super dirty. Before I was doing it weekly. I have a cube tank and I have a couple low flow areas that build up quick if I'm not on it.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted monthly. But I usually do it more often. I do weekly water changes. I blow off the Rockwood or stir up the sand while using a small hose to pump in the new water. It only takes a little extra time and I think it worth while. I add in some clean socks to catch the junk. Or a polishing filter to my redsea. I have multiple tanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Monthly or when I think of it. Amazing what dislodges from nooks and crannies

Back