How often do you blow out your rockwork?

How often do you "blow out" (with a pump, turkey baster, etc.) your rock work?

• Once a week or more

Votes: 272 23.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 202 17.1%
  • A couple times a year

Votes: 131 11.1%
  • Once a year

Votes: 32 2.7%
  • Never

Votes: 218 18.4%
  • When I think of it

Votes: 186 15.7%
  • With Water Changes

Votes: 143 12.1%

• Total voters
OP
OP
CrunchyBananas

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it every other week during water changes. No matter how many times that I crank up the powerhead, I believe that using a turkey baster every once in a while does a better job at reaching some areas.
I've definitely found that to be the case in every tank I've owned or worked on as well

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once in a while... but I actually just use a toothbrush to do the job. I basically never put a pump in and move it all around. I think this becomes unmanageable with larger tanks... but maybe some of you do it on your huge tanks? Curious really.

OP
OP
CrunchyBananas

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once in a while... but I actually just use a toothbrush to do the job. I basically never put a pump in and move it all around. I think this becomes unmanageable with larger tanks... but maybe some of you do it on your huge tanks? Curious really.
I've regularly used a mag drive pump to do so on a 700 and a 500 gallon tank

Jeepjeep_0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been doing it with a turkey Baster as well, however I only do small sections of rock at a time. I worry about spiking parameters if I do to much. I realize all that gunk is in the tank already, but don’t you think putting it directly into a suspended state in the water column could do this?

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on the 29 gallon I blow them off at least once a month, on the 75 gallon, I seem to be doing it about twice a week when I change filter socks..... I need to find a baster with a bigger bulb on it, I feel like Popeye after blowing the rocks off, the forearm pump is real!

OP
OP
CrunchyBananas

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on the 29 gallon I blow them off at least once a month, on the 75 gallon, I seem to be doing it about twice a week when I change filter socks..... I need to find a baster with a bigger bulb on it, I feel like Popeye after blowing the rocks off, the forearm pump is real!
I’ve found using an aqua clear powerhead can make it easier, but I don’t want to rob you of those sweet, sweet forearm gains either!

jordan9095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have an alert on my apex to do it once a week. i usually only get around to doing it once a month. for me, the spots that have algae problems almost always correlate to the spots where a lot of detritus settles in the rocks so probably best to do it as often as possible.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Blast away monthly!
75E97600-B26A-4091-866D-88C1C21CBA59.jpeg

Can you explain this set up a little to us?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I purchased an inline pump so I could suck water from the tank and with the other end blow out the rock work. I got the pump well over a year ago and have yet to use it. I have also had bad algae outbreaks so maybe I need to actually do it!!

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer is either Never, or Four times a day, depending on your definition of blowing out...

I have a pair of Tunze 6105's connected to my Apex. Normally, they run a 1 minute ramp up, 25 - 40%, inverse, meaning one is ramping down while the other is ramping up, then they swap.

At 6am, Noon, 6PM, and Midnight, I kick both 6105's up to 100% power for 2 minutes. Really moves some water... Each is rated at 3400 GPH, with both running full out, there isn't anything settling in my tank. In fact, I've had to glue down my frag rack :D Fish seem to have gotten used to it, though they freaked out a bit at first. Don't seem to mind anymore.

Nothing there to manually blow out :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The answer is either Never, or Four times a day, depending on your definition of blowing out...

I have a pair of Tunze 6105's connected to my Apex. Normally, they run a 1 minute ramp up, 25 - 40%, inverse, meaning one is ramping down while the other is ramping up, then they swap.

At 6am, Noon, 6PM, and Midnight, I kick both 6105's up to 100% power for 2 minutes. Really moves some water... Each is rated at 3400 GPH, with both running full out, there isn't anything settling in my tank. In fact, I've had to glue down my frag rack :D Fish seem to have gotten used to it, though they freaked out a bit at first. Don't seem to mind anymore.

Nothing there to manually blow out :)

NICE!

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just about every week with water changes except for the weeks where I vacuum out my sump because that usually sucks out enough water for the water change. I’m doing it a lot more right now because I’m losing a fight to dinos so I’m having to blow off and change filter socks almost daily.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't do it for that first couple of months. After doing it for the first time I now do it the night before water change. Get everything suspended and into the sump and allow water to clear up, then do my weekly 10% and/or monthly 20-30% water change. My PO4 is now at .05 after doing this and NO3 is still steady at 5. The green rocks are little better and the diatoms have calmed down and almost gone away. Same thing with glass cleaning.

Fish & Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I do it maybe once a month or maybe longer. My tank is ok so I try to not put my hands in the tank too many times.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back