OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update since I've been seeing some reactions on this thread - I haven't seen any AEFW, or signs of AEFW since the last dip I posted about on September 6th. Frags have been encrusting nicely and I've gotten a healthy specimens into the hands of some other reefers.

It would seem that AEFW aren't especially quick to proliferate, and making a mistake and dipping very shortly after a suspect frag enters your tank isn't a death sentence for your sticks.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update since I've been seeing some reactions on this thread - I haven't seen any AEFW, or signs of AEFW since the last dip I posted about on September 6th. Frags have been encrusting nicely and I've gotten a healthy specimens into the hands of some other reefers.

It would seem that AEFW aren't especially quick to proliferate, and making a mistake and dipping very shortly after a suspect frag enters your tank isn't a death sentence for your sticks.

I am about 3 months clear on aefw now. In my frag system which made dipping "easier". Still a pain though with 17 racks to do every weekend. 2 liters of KZ Flatworm Stop, three 6 lines, and 8 Springeri, 2 melanurus. Basting also.

I took the kitchen sink approach.

Poriferabob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can AEFW make their way into an auxiliary system?
I have them in my 180.
I'm thinking I could pull the colonies one at a time dip/frag and inspect them, then place them into a separate frag tank that would share a sump.
Could they still make it into the frag tank via the sump?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can AEFW make their way into an auxiliary system?
I have them in my 180.
I'm thinking I could pull the colonies one at a time dip/frag and inspect them, then place them into a separate frag tank that would share a sump.
Could they still make it into the frag tank via the sump?
Possible but not likely. They can move of course but cannot swim. Socks or a roller filter would minimize the chance several fold.

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Old thread but this some very good advice. In my experience they tend to stay isolated to where you found them. (Assuming you're on top of your stuff and able to notice when there's a problem). Of course, if you let it go for months and months I'm sure they'll tend to spread out around multiple colonies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back