How To Control your Aquarium with Apex and Alexa

Do you control your tank using Apex and Alexa ?

• Yes !!!

Votes: 61 9.4%
  • I Have Apex Controller, however I am not using Alexa

Votes: 280 42.9%
  • I Don't Have Apex

Votes: 298 45.7%
  • Other thoughts, Discuss in Thread.

Votes: 13 2.0%

• Total voters

Drex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I would use it especially for feeding as I turn off 3 of my pumps and leave the 4th one on to disperse the food. Could you set it up for the pumps to stay off a set length of time like the A,B,C and D feed modes?
Yep just say Alexa tell apex fusion to start feed cycle a,b,c,d

Drex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When ask her to log a test result i think she ask you whats the units alk 8.5 dkh . Iv done it so much now i just do don't play attention anymore lol

Drex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres my result inputs
647a2b9ff136e458f00d26d49cbb6cc6.jpg

__Jreef__

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just start using Alexa and I notice works better when I use the feed mode with the Reeflink to control my MPs, on the Apex works sometimes and sometimes doesn't. I guess is going to get better with time.

OP
OP
fabutahoun

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I would use it especially for feeding as I turn off 3 of my pumps and leave the 4th one on to disperse the food. Could you set it up for the pumps to stay off a set length of time like the A,B,C and D feed modes?

First You make an alias for the feed cycle you want to trigger, For Example "Turn of the Pumps". or you can use without alias like previous comment
Then you go to your pump program and add this line of code:

If FeedB 005 Then OFF

This will turn the pump for 5 minutes, you change the number , and the feed cycle to A,B,C or D as needed.

Then Just say "Alexa tell Apex fusion to Turn of the Pumps" or "Alexa tell Apex fusion to start feed cycle B"

__Jreef__

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anybody figure out how to ask Apex to read test results/logs?
I saw a video but no instructions.
TIA

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I am an Automation Enthusiast, and getting stuff working with Alexa is Fun and in some cases Very Useful..... (Feeding mode, etc)

I would never rely on or Trust Alexa for anything Critical.

I trust my Apex....
..... directly controlled with the Direct LAN WEB page, or the LCD Display.
............ slightly less with Fusion (since it relies on Internet, and Neptune's Servers).

The problem with Alexa to control anything is two key things. Accurate Voice Recognition, and Delay.
Recognition can be improved with Well picked words, but even that can be ruined if there is noise in the room.

DELAY is the key thing why I wouldn't trust Alexa to turn off a pump (for example a water change setup)
I have many household Lights (Philips Hue type), others Controlled by (Smart Dimmers, Smart Switches, and Smart Outlets) /
YES THEY WORK, and Alexa ROUTINES can make them work really Cool in Sequences. (but sometimes after saying Alexa.....) I have to wait, or it doesn't happen.

Delay varies, and it sometime is bad, so controlling a pump that must turn off exactly when you want, isn't something I would recommend.
Also controlling Your Apex to expect it to work each time, isn't something I would trust either.

I actually do use Alexa/Apex on my Tank, I'm not against it, just nothing that could Cause an Accident you don't want.

(Too bad Routines will not with with Alexa..YET). If they did work, you could say "Alexa Movie time" and ALEX would set the room lights just right AND ALSO dim my Apex/Alexa controlled tank.

I got that to work but with a Apex Virtual Switch, and an Alex Routine to Control (Room lights, AND SMART Relay.... that closes a switch, that is connected to Apex Input Breakout that changes a Apex SoftSwitch, which triggers the Virtual Outlet, which dims the Fish Tank Lighting.

RobertP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my Apex and I am a tech guy but I cannot bring myself to have yet another device in my home that is constantly listening. Bad enough I have this danged phone that I cannot really turn off....

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not adding a spybot to my home.

Lol.

You understand that it only listens on a 10 second loop to hear its invocation command, then only for 15 seconds IF it hears a command. Only that 15 seconds is recorded. It doesn’t record and upload the whole day

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol.

You understand that it only listens on a 10 second loop to hear its invocation command, then only for 15 seconds IF it hears a command. Only that 15 seconds is recorded. It doesn’t record and upload the whole day

Says who? The company that makes all it's money by selling your preferences to advertisers?

Catch the story about Alexa calling the cops when it heard some idiot beating his girlfriend? Yeah.

Seen the headlines lately?
Google facing financial penalty for unlawful tracking

Yeah. I'd trust Google not to listen in. Sure.

Oh, who am I kidding. There's a Pixel 3 sitting on my desk... right next to an iPhone 7.

Privacy is dead.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of those cute but in practice not useful. I have a panelview with dedicated functions I touch one button and the program function happens simple and does not need to be relying on a internet service to work.

OP
OP
fabutahoun

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Says who? The company that makes all it's money by selling your preferences to advertisers?

Catch the story about Alexa calling the cops when it heard some idiot beating his girlfriend? Yeah.

Seen the headlines lately?
Google facing financial penalty for unlawful tracking

Yeah. I'd trust Google not to listen in. Sure.

Oh, who am I kidding. There's a Pixel 3 sitting on my desk... right next to an iPhone 7.

Privacy is dead.

"Privacy and intimacy as we know it
Will be a memory
Among many to be passed down
To those who never knew

Living in the pupil of one thousand eyes" ~ Chuck Schuldiner

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really cool...until some random person walks near your tank and accidentally yells commands that cause your tank to implode! :p

Only if they know the alias names for the actions.

But yeah- I’m setting up diagnostics only, largely because Alexa has problems with my accent.

On more than one occasion, I’ve asked her to turn on the lights, and had the garage door open instead

Drex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can change the way it responds to you where it answers to Echo and not Elexa

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back