How to Quarantine

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, this is something I've wondered about. Tomonts can encyst to sand, and what if a free swimmer emerged & quickly latched on to a sand burrowing fish before copper/Chloroquine disabled it? But the same thing could happen if a fish was sleeping on the bottom, and a free swimmer emerged from a tomont stuck to the bottom glass. :eek: So much we know, so much we don't know...
I would have slept better tonight not thinking about this.... :confused:

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah thanks for that Bobby! (As I sit here now wondering about all the sand burrowing wrasses I currently have in QT, especially the two choat's I have in QT, with copper). :eek:

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah thanks for that Bobby! (As I sit here now wondering about all the sand burrowing wrasses I currently have in QT, especially the two choat's I have in QT, with copper). :eek:

People tell me I analyze things too deeply :p

The Burgess 1992 thesis which showed that a tomont could encyst to a mullet scale (even though the mucous degenerated it) is what bothers me the mostest. :confused:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People tell me I analyze things too deeply :p

The Burgess 1992 thesis which showed that a tomont could encyst to a mullet scale (even though the mucous degenerated it) is what bothers me the mostest. :confused:
upload_2018-8-9_15-50-32.png

I dislike fish parasites. :(

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the question, but it's been bugging me all morning. Being in such close proximity with the sand makes me wonder. I would think the copper would penetrate all the way to the bottom of the sand bed through water around the grains. But, if a cyst that was attached to a grain of sand hatched, I'm not sure how long it takes for the free swimmers to be disabled. I wonder if cyst would be in higher concentrations at the top of the sand bed. I'm not sure really[emoji848] Guess I could remove the sand. The wrasse was still sleeping on the bottom before it found the sand though.. I tend to over think things sometimes[emoji23] If y'all come up with any conclusions keep me posted[emoji2]

Last edited:

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started reading this study a bit ago. Think I'll have to save it for an early morning read when my brain is working more efficiently. Looks like an interesting/informative study!

andys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably stresses the fish out being caught & transferred so frequently; but the important thing is that you have enough tanks/equipment to do 12 hour transfers (all tanks/equipment must be thoroughly sterilized before being used for TTM purposes.)

Humblefish trust me I’m worn out from doing this every 12 hours. I have 3 sets of everything so I’m good there. Question now is moving them ever 12 hours would that cut down the time i can take them out of TTM treatment ?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question now is moving them ever 12 hours would that cut down the time i can take them out of TTM treatment ?

Unfortunately, no matter how frequently you do the transfers the total number of days to pass should be 12 OR more, NOT less. At least in order to fully eradicate ich.

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vriserva25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I Just did a 5 gal water change on my 20 gal QT and my tests came back ammonia reading between .25 and .50 ppm on the api test and copper power is the only thing I've used so far and the hanna checker came back 2.66 copper. 3 weeks into quarantine after NOT doing it before my last addition and I had to break down my whole tank because 2 tangs and 6 line wrasse showing ich in DT. Long story short everyone was doing great until yesterday I lost powder blue after only showing fatigue and having breathing for 24hrs and he was the strongest throughout all of this now I dont know what the issue is and im inexperienced with mostly all.of the hobby I want to learn and not repeat mistakes/ form bad habits for the fish sake(and my pockets)

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I Just did a 5 gal water change on my 20 gal QT and my tests came back ammonia reading between .25 and .50 ppm on the api test and copper power is the only thing I've used so far and the hanna checker came back 2.66 copper. 3 weeks into quarantine after NOT doing it before my last addition and I had to break down my whole tank because 2 tangs and 6 line wrasse showing ich in DT. Long story short everyone was doing great until yesterday I lost powder blue after only showing fatigue and having breathing for 24hrs and he was the strongest throughout all of this now I dont know what the issue is and im inexperienced with mostly all.of the hobby I want to learn and not repeat mistakes/ form bad habits for the fish sake(and my pockets)
I would do another WC, larger in size. That much Ammonia is still enough to be toxic for any length of time

LouieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading the articles from Humblefish & others, you need to get seachem nh3 alert. You will get false positive results w nh3 test kits. Also you should be 1.5-2.5 ppm for copper power. I try to stay around 1.75-2.00.

vriserva25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippo is showing slightly bumpy skin and spots but doesn't look like the same ich salty/sugar spots more like pimples
20180813_212345~2.jpeg
20180813_204025.jpeg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippo is showing slightly bumpy skin and spots but doesn't look like the same ich salty/sugar spots more like pimples
20180813_212345~2.jpeg
20180813_204025.jpeg
Some hippo seem to get skin reactions to copper. How long has she been in it? Is it worsening?

vriserva25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading the articles from Humblefish & others, you need to get seachem nh3 alert. You will get false positive results w nh3 test kits. Also you should be 1.5-2.5 ppm for copper power. I try to stay around 1.75-2.00.
Yes I have the alert badge I can't seem to tell the reading on it since day 1
1534213353151.jpeg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is day 25 and just showing for the past 2-3 days or so
I’d ride it out until 30 days. I’ve seen this on a few hippos, doesn’t seem to be fatal if it doesn’t significantly worsen or the copper clock is up soon.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back