OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don’t mind the noise. Yeah you can hear them but my overflow is loud as heck to begin with because of the way I did it. But agree..about as loud as a box fan
I often sleep with a fan in my room, so at least i won't be losing any sleep. ;) It would annoy me if it was in the living room.

I have Reefbreeder Photons on 3 tanks here and you have to be standing right next to them to hear the fan when it kicks on. The new tank has Radions. I'll see how I like those once the tank is filled up and running.
When are you getting that thing wet?!

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Reefbreeder Photons on 3 tanks here and you have to be standing right next to them to hear the fan when it kicks on. The new tank has Radions. I'll see how I like those once the tank is filled up and running.
I had Radions up until the nps. If I had to approximate I would put the radion fan at a 3 and these at at 5/6

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless I see crazy coral growth, these will definitely not be high on my list. Between the controller, the noise, and what looks like 40-gallons of Windex, I'm not wow'd.

I am, however, totally stoked for those who are seeing improvements with their corals! :D I am very much in wait-and-see mode.
Regarding windex look: Did you do your own settings? If yes, try the SPS/LPS setting. It is white with a touch of blue

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often sleep with a fan in my room, so at least i won't be losing any sleep. ;) It would annoy me if it was in the living room.

When are you getting that thing wet?!
Flying down to Tennessee next weekend and driving someone back here to Connecticut. When we get back it's full steam ahead. She asked if she could help do it. Help? Hell yes... I waited this long to get it going, what's another week?

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had Radions up until the nps. If I had to approximate I would put the radion fan at a 3 and these at at 5/6
Which Radions? I have 3 G5 XR15's on the new tank:
65394500911__CAF74AE8-1405-48D3-A859-FC27D4E00BBB.jpeg

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Radions? I have 3 G5 XR15's on the new tank:
65394500911__CAF74AE8-1405-48D3-A859-FC27D4E00BBB.jpeg
I had G5 XR15s as well. Literally just sold them this morning. Which tells you what my future plans are.

So these things are not REDICULOUSLY loud. About as loud a computer's cooling fan. I think the radions are quieter, have more features and are easier to deal with. The NPs just make the tank look better and are half the price. In the end, just a trade off and I chose aesthetics and price.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had G5 XR15s as well. Literally just sold them this morning. Which tells you what my future plans are.

So these things are not REDICULOUSLY loud. About as loud a computer's cooling fan. I think the radions are quieter, have more features and are easier to deal with. The NPs just make the tank look better and are half the price. In the end, just a trade off and I chose aesthetics and price.
I agree, my tank looks better under the nps than it did under AI Primes, and I would say the fan is as loud as the prime (neither are so loud as to be an issue, I have to be standing right next to the tank to hear it). I’m still holding on to the AI Prime, I’m thinking of setting up a little frag tank with it. But overall I’m really pretty impressed with the quality of the lighting from the nps. The controller is obviously a different story.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish the color was better. I finally got my nitrates to stay at 1. Hope to get it to around 4 but as I said before, as soon as I add nitrate, amino or phyto I get some cyano. This is straight out of my iphone with no corrections

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish the color was better. I finally got my nitrates to stay at 1. Hope to get it to around 4 but as I said before, as soon as I add nitrate, amino or phyto I get some cyano. This is straight out of my iphone with no corrections
Yeah...i am fighting that same battle. Its so frustrating!!! Were your nitrates too high or too low? I did a sand vacuum water change today and my tank is looking the best it has in weeks. Cleaning your tank..who knew :D

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah...i am fighting that same battle. Its so frustrating!!! Were your nitrates too high or too low? I did a sand vacuum water change today and my tank is looking the best it has in weeks. Cleaning your tank..who knew :D
This tank has always been too low. I started with KP Aquatic rocks shipped in water and (6 year old) 40 pounds of rock from my last build.

noopsyche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I honestly think it is just the machining oil that is 'burning off' from the machined aluminum parts. It was REAL bad for about a day and half..but then suddenly went away.
the new lamp will have some smell at first, but the smell will disappear eventually

noopsyche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually...I'm laying in my room with a movie on, and it sounds like a full-sized box fan on low. So...yeah. Loud.
There will be a little sound when the fan is cooling. This is normal.Everyone’s hearing is different

Last edited:
OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe your installation is not strong enough, and none of our other users lights have this noise.
@NJTaxMan agreed with my assessment of the fans' noise level. I can hear exactly when the fans kick on and when they turn off. Everything is mounted *very* securely, and there is no rattling. Just white noise.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my

@NJTaxMan agreed with my assessment of the fans' noise level. I can hear exactly when the fans kick on and when they turn off. Everything is mounted *very* securely, and there is no rattling. Just white noise.
Agreed. This is just the sound of the fan. No rattling. Nothing lose. Just the sound of the fan motor and the exhaust.

noopsyche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Because it is a 140w lamp, the radiator needs relatively strong power to dissipate heat to prevent burnout. ;)
Agreed. This is just the sound of the fan. No rattling. Nothing lose. Just the sound of the fan motor and the exhaust.
When I usually test the lamps and lanterns, 10 sets of them are tested together, and the sound they make is not too loud.
Maybe your environment is very quiet

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 65 46.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 47 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back