Howto: 0-10v Control Return Pump

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more example

Sincerely Lasse

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to do it!! Can someone explain a few things to me.

So what’s the difference between stream groups I put my pumps in?
for example I have set my skimmer up on stream pump 2 and on stream group 1

If I was going to add my return pump;(it will go on l1/l2 my skimmer is on l3/l4)
Would I add it to stream group 1? Or stream group 2 and name it stream pump 1?

Also how can I make any sort of fail safes for these controls as it’s going to be my return ( will keep stable speed constantly maybe will get flow sensor later down the line) I just am skeptical considering it’s basically the lifeline between overflowing and not lol

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people will keep the pumps and skimmers running at a constant speed. So I would put Skimmer in one stream group and the other in another stream group.

This would allow you then to adjust the overall speed of each one, but adding feed modes to the skimmer stream group so if you want it to slow down or turn off.

Are you worried you may set the setting to low? If so adjust the overall 1-10V port with a min voltage and it will never go below that.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people will keep the pumps and skimmers running at a constant speed. So I would put Skimmer in one stream group and the other in another stream group.

This would allow you then to adjust the overall speed of each one, but adding feed modes to the skimmer stream group so if you want it to slow down or turn off.

Are you worried you may set the setting to low? If so adjust the overall 1-10V port with a min voltage and it will never go below that.
I guess I’m more concerned about it kicking on after a power outage or something @ the right speed. Maybe I’m over thinking.

If I wanted to take my skimmer and or return off of my Powerbar now ( skimmer is set to go off from 5pm - 10 am)
Can I still do this? Or should I just leave it plugged into the Powerbar?
I have the skimmer and return turn off for maintenance mode and whatnot; is that possible via 0-10v or should I keep it on the Powerbar for control

Edit: since I am looking at the settings.. should these pumps be set to “constant” rather than stream pump? Considering I anticipate to keep the same speed all the time?

Edit:
so I’m a little confused regarding the 0-10v

i was under the impression they are like the other sensor ports that they can split them right? So for example if I have 2 devices I’ll be on L1/L2 and L3/L4. Then if I added another one I could use the L1 spot and split it to l1 and l2?

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was under the impression they are like the other sensor ports that they can split them right? So for example if I have 2 devices I’ll be on L1/L2 and L3/L4. Then if I added another one I could use the L1 spot and split it to l1 and l2?
Yes, if you use one of the new break out boxes, the cord it comes with connects to the L1/L2 port. It includes the wiring to connect 2 separate 0-10V devices. A second break out box connected to the L3/L4 port gives you the ability to wire in 2 more.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, if you use one of the new break out boxes, the cord it comes with connects to the L1/L2 port. It includes the wiring to connect 2 separate 0-10V devices. A second break out box connected to the L3/L4 port gives you the ability to wire in 2 more.
I currently have mine set up with 2 pumps on the new breakout box (2 varios 2). Are you saying instead of using both of the rjxx cables ( little cable that goes into breakout box; I can just use one? I currently use both and one is plugged into l1/l2 and the other is l3/l4. I can switch it to say one connection? Just l1/l2 and rename my l3 as l2?
I don’t need a splitter?

would free up one of those ports if true!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each of the new break out boxes can control 4 0-10v pumps. The cord for L1/L2 controlles a pump connected to wires 2 and 3 like you see here. That is L1. L2 would be wired to 5 and 6. Then, you make a connection to the other port to L3/L4. L3 would controller what is wired to the currently empty 2 and 3. L4 would control what would be wired into that 5 and 6.
5F3C9DC3-0A2C-40B7-ACBF-E13D8108E065.jpeg

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each of the new break out boxes can control 4 0-10v pumps. The cord for L1/L2 controlles a pump connected to wires 2 and 3 like you see here. That is L1. L2 would be wired to 5 and 6. Then, you make a connection to the other port to L3/L4. L3 would controller what is wired to the currently empty 2 and 3. L4 would control what would be wired into that 5 and 6.
5F3C9DC3-0A2C-40B7-ACBF-E13D8108E065.jpeg
This is how I did mine

CC57ACE6-FF2D-4F8B-92CF-3C279B8D9FBD.jpeg

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm... hate to say it but that isn't good. You won't get proper speed control.
Oh wait ! That was an old pic. It’s the same way except the black is next to the red (ground)

my pumps are working fine for speed and whatnot. Actually really impressed! Just was unsure if I could say unplug one of the little “Phone jacks” and then use just one for l1/l2 rather than how I got it set up now 1 pump on l1 and one on l3

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wait ! That was an old pic. It’s the same way except the black is next to the red (ground)

my pumps are working fine for speed and whatnot. Actually really impressed! Just was unsure if I could say unplug one of the little “Phone jacks” and then use just one for l1/l2 rather than how I got it set up now 1 pump on l1 and one on l3
:)Whew!

So you could move the 2nd pumps wiring to red on 5 and black on 6. Then a single phone cord would to L1 and L2 for those pumps. That would free up the other terminal block and cord plug for 2 future pumps.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)Whew!

So you could move the 2nd pumps wiring to red on 5 and black on 6. Then a single phone cord would to L1 and L2 for those pumps. That would free up the other terminal block and cord plug for 2 future pumps.
lol okay.

Or I can wait till I get another controllable pump and wire that one in!! (Despised trying to get the little wires striped and in the holes!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol okay.

Or I can wait till I get another controllable pump and wire that one in!! (Despised trying to get the little wires striped and in the holes!
Always an option! L2 and L4 will be terminals 5 and 6 in that box so easy to do that way.

And I agree, the terminal strip isn't user friendly. I tinned my wires with solder to make them easy to install but that isn't something everyone can or would want to do.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always an option! L2 and L4 will be terminals 5 and 6 in that box so easy to do that way.

And I agree, the terminal strip isn't user friendly. I tinned my wires with solder to make them easy to install but that isn't something everyone can or would want to do.
Can you clarify where all these terminals are? I only see I think 4 0-10v inputs?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you could move the 2nd pumps wiring to red on 5 and black on 6.
I think this is wrong too. GND is number three for both channels. L1 red (+) in 2, black (-) in 3, L2 red (+) in 5 - black (-) in 3.

Sincereöly Lasse

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is wrong too. GND is number three for both channels. L1 red (+) in 2, black (-) in 3, L2 red (+) in 5 - black (-) in 3.

Sincereöly Lasse
I'll take a meter to it tomorrow and find out but I have my gyres wired in that way and it seems to work. Of course, it would also work to do it the way you suggest since ground is ground. I'm just fairly sure that pin 6 also is a ground.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is for a relay that should shout down the power for old LED and 1-10 V T5 fixtures. They could not be regelated lower than around 5 %.

Sincerely Lasse

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is for a relay that should shout down the power for old LED and 1-10 V T5 fixtures. They could not be regelated lower than around 5 %.

Sincerely Lasse
I'm glad you pointed this out, Lasse.

I'm going to have to dig into this more. I may have my gyre pumps wired incorrectly, which is odd because they seem to follow my program just fine. But.. I have verified there is no electrical connectivity between terminal 3 and 6 like I would have expected.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back