Howto: 0-10v Control Return Pump

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This information is in the GHL Knowledge Base:

It is also in the official reference thread that is pinned at the top of our R2R forum:

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, @Vinny@GHLUSA I had seen that before but forgotten about it. Hopefully not confused me by connecting his blue wire to terminal 2. Any better explanation videos on setting up the 1-10v Stream. Bit short and sweet in this video
Could you just connect the 2 x wires to pins 2 & 3 of a RJ12 connector (and do away with the breakout box) if you only wanted to control one of the L ports?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you just connect the 2 x wires to pins 2 & 3 of a RJ12 connector (and do away with the breakout box) if you only wanted to control one of the L ports?
I'd have to double check the pin numbers, but the breakout box is little more than a convenient way to wire it. Not necessary at all. Most people don't have the tools to pin in their own RJ12 connectors. I believe you could wire a 2nd cable into pin's 5&6 and run 2 pumps off a single RJ12 connector.

sylvius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to reply to an older thread but still trying to understand this. Assuming I have the tools is there any reason one could not take a standard headphone cable and wire one end to an rj-12? Seems an easy and cheaper solution which is why I’m worried I’m missing the reason it’s impossible.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to reply to an older thread but still trying to understand this. Assuming I have the tools is there any reason one could not take a standard headphone cable and wire one end to an rj-12? Seems an easy and cheaper solution which is why I’m worried I’m missing the reason it’s impossible.
Its not impossible if you know which of the six wires in the RJ-12 cable you should use. I did that before the era of break out boxes. But break out boxes are much easier to use for most people and you do not risk to do a mistake that can damage your main unit. You need to know the colouration of the RJ12 and I have seen at least two different types.

Sincerely Lasse

sylvius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply Lasse. I still think it should be quite trivial to crimp on an RJ12 and avoid a $30 box expense (and actually another box in the middle of my setup is what I am really trying to avoid).

On a related note, is it possible to send a 0V signal to the pump via the 1-10V control to turn it off (temporarily) thus allowing the return pump to be powered from an uncontrolled outlet but still fully controlled by profilux?

Last question that is peripherally related: it seems that the right flow meter for the pump I need is 5000L/h which would be connected to a 3/4" return line to the tank. However, the imperial fittings for that flow meter list 1/2" glue connectors which would seem very small for 5000L/hr. Is that correct???

sylvius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At risk of answering my first question (hopefully correctly), based on this instruction sheet for the Varios S pump: https://reefoctopus.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Controller-Manual.pdf and this schematic for a standard headphone cable:
1609941258970.png

and the breakout box pinout:
1609941296948.png

It should be blue wire to 2, ground to 3 (and if desired could wire a second cable blue to 5 and ground to 3). Anyone care to confirm or refute this? I have plenty of cables, RJ12 connectors and a crimping tool so would love to make it work (assuming that my question from above gives the desired answer that it is possible to send a 0 signal to turn the pump off without damaging it).

Thanks!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To use the breakout box - yes. With just to cut of a RJ12 cable - just identify pin 1 (the two different types I have seen - it is a black or a white wire that´s pin 1. However - it could be others too)

Sincerely Lasse

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SNIP---->

Last question that is peripherally related: it seems that the right flow meter for the pump I need is 5000L/h which would be connected to a 3/4" return line to the tank. However, the imperial fittings for that flow meter list 1/2" glue connectors which would seem very small for 5000L/hr. Is that correct???
Have a look here.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do this with my royal exclusive pumps. Maintenance mode 0 Volts and not through a switch port.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thank you. Hopefully a much less expensive pump that I can afford will do the same
I use a 0V signal to turn off my Reef Octopus return pump.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 0V signal to turn off my Reef Octopus return pump.
I didn’t even know this was a thing... I’ve been running them on switch channels.. my return is one ( always on) whilst my skimmer pump is on a timer.. interesting I can control it via the 0-10 and can potentially just turn it to 0 during “off” rather than using the switch outlet!

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not directly related per say, but I use P4 in conjunction with GHL's Vortech Interface to control (4) MP40's.
I use a speed of ZERO to shut them down during maintenance or feeding.

sylvius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Lasse those pumps are so affordable I can get two and have a backup. How do you find they perform compared to spec? I have a single 1" overflow and 3/4" return with about 1.4m head. Seems the 6000 should be right but could go with 9000 if their rated performance is more aspirational...Thanks!

Back