Hurricane Ian on the way.

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone, I'm in Orlando and Hurricane Ian is a few hours away from me. I've got everything prepared for my family but now I'm worried about my tank. I know I should have gotten a battery backup system, but I failed on that (I'll definitely have one going forward).

Already 400k without power in Florida so I'm wondering what can I do manually to keep my fish alive if I lose power? Do things like stirring the water up or filling a pitcher with tank water and pouring back into the tank help with oxygen?

I did manage to get a small battery backup unit from Costco about an hour ago but I'm not sure how much that will help. Here is the link to what I got. https://www.costco.com/cyberpower-1...-with-surge-protection.product.100845557.html

I have two Mp10 wave makers and an Octopos return pump. Live stock is 4 Tangs and a Clownfish. I have coral but that's not my main concern.

I tagged this as Emergency cause I have power now so anything I can do while the lights are on, I need to do right away.

I have 10 Gallons of saltwater stored and about 20 Gallons of RODI on hand. My tank is the Redsea 250.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated? Also does anyone know how long my fish family can live without power? I Google and I see anywhere from two to five hours. Thanks

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I thought Orlando wasn’t going to get hit? They aren’t in the direct path or on the coast? A day at most without heat and water circulation. Your biggest concern is circulation and heat. If heat is not an option then circulation should be. You ideally want an air stone that’s battery powered and a battery for the heater or some heat source maybe a portable heater to keep the room warm. Everything else is not essential. You could manually move the water but I’d recommend a battery powered air stone with extra batteries that has the ability to last a very long time. You could cover it with a towel etc. to keep heat in. Petco/PetSmart sells battery powered pumps and extra portable batteries.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. (of course this can't last for days) - but - if your power is out for hours - take a pitcher - and every 15 minutes or so - take out 2 quarts - and at as high a level as possible - put it back in the tank - for aeration and flow.
2. You could use some of your saved water - to make new water and do mini water changes - BUT - I'm not sure this would cause enough change in chemistry (I do not think so) - to make a difference.
3. Turn off all essential 'stuff' - i.e your corals and fish will survive without lights, and probably some of the other things you have - i.e. use your battery backup only for things that are essential.
4. If you for example - shut off your sump - when the power comes back on - do not put that water back in your tank - if there is chaeto - etc - thats dead - just get rid of it. i.e. focus on keeping the tank alive - (I assume you don't need a heater) - only flow
5. In the meantime - attempt (may be hard() - to get something a little bigger - if your power does indeed go off.

Key message - First good luck. Second Keep flow int he tank (and emphasize the surface) - over total filtration/lighting.

Hope this helps - and best wishes

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first charge the battery backup and you can leave one pump on the system plugged into it. The 5-6 hour mark is without oxygen. Since the weather temperature wise is fine should be in 70s. You can stir the water with a plastic spatulate every hour to get oxygen and flow for 5 minutes or so.
I would also fill a red cup and pour it into the tank several times during this process. I imagine your coral growth will be minimal without lights so no need to dose. Id save the battery till night when your going to sleep because you will be able to manually move the water. if your tank drops to 72 and above shouldn't be a major issue. Id turn the heater up to 80 well its still on as well.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Feed now. Then not again should the power go out. Depending on temp you may need like a heating pad (careful of cord) or one of those mylar blankets. Biggest thing do you have like an airstone?
I would not feed now. There is no need to feed - Fish routinely go for days without feeding. No offense - just my opinion.

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not feed now. There is no need to feed - Fish routinely go for days without feeding. No offense - just my opinion.
None taken at all. I would feed should the power be out for days - you never know. Then when the power comes back on OP may have a mess on their hands and feeding fish may impact resolving said mess. At least i know they are at least sustained now with power. Could be days before things become “right” again.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just thought of something else you could do which is more work but could work. You could package the livestock like it‘s ready to be shipped in bags full of air and an insulated cooler. Livestock has been known to be able to survive up to a week sometimes more in certain circumstances but water changes would help etc. Also yes feed sparingly.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
None taken at all. I would feed should the power be out for days - you never know. Then when the power comes back on OP may have a mess on their hands and feeding fish may impact resolving said mess. At least i know they are at least sustained now with power. Could be days before things become “right” again.
I'm a reef heretic. I feed my fish (not every day, not every other day) - but every 2-3 days). - they are fat, happy and growing. I think at least some issues with reefing comes from feeding coral product xxx 2x/day nori 1/day frozen 2/d etc etc - Fish do not need that much food again - IMHO - Now - again - this is in a mature tank with lots of stuff for them to pick on. If I had a power outage I would definitely not feed my fish beforehand. Pretending I was going to ship the fish elsewhere (most wholesalers - from my experience - withhold feeding for 2-3 days before). There can be storms that cause issues on the reef for a week or more - and fish - cannot feed normally. The risk of ammonia/waste - in an aquarium without good filtration - is more than (IMHO) - the risk of 'starvation'.

It's interesting My tank is (obviously) a tank, going to a sump which contains a carbon pouch by the intake, and a skimmer and an 0xydator. I could shut off my sump with no issues.

Which leads to another comment - some people use H2O2 - if you can get it (to the OP) - to oxygenate the water. I don't know the dose - I know its been discussed on the forum before - and is another idea

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a reef heretic. I feed my fish (not every day, not every other day) - but every 2-3 days). - they are fat, happy and growing. I think at least some issues with reefing comes from feeding coral product xxx 2x/day nori 1/day frozen 2/d etc etc - Fish do not need that much food again - IMHO - Now - again - this is in a mature tank with lots of stuff for them to pick on. If I had a power outage I would definitely not feed my fish beforehand. Pretending I was going to ship the fish elsewhere (most wholesalers - from my experience - withhold feeding for 2-3 days before). There can be storms that cause issues on the reef for a week or more - and fish - cannot feed normally. The risk of ammonia/waste - in an aquarium without good filtration - is more than (IMHO) - the risk of 'starvation'.

It's interesting My tank is (obviously) a tank, going to a sump which contains a carbon pouch by the intake, and a skimmer and an 0xydator. I could shut off my sump with no issues.

Which leads to another comment - some people use H2O2 - if you can get it (to the OP) - to oxygenate the water. I don't know the dose - I know its been discussed on the forum before - and is another idea
I agree it isnt about the food or the eating but we are assuming that when the power comes back on OP wont have ammonia issues. Now after an extended period you are going to feed? Wouldnt do that. Wouldnt recommend that. You are basing this on 2-3 day period. May not be? May be longer? I guess agree to disagree.

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed now. Then not again should the power go out. Depending on temp you may need like a heating pad (careful of cord) or one of those mylar blankets. Biggest thing do you have like an airstone?
Thanks. I have an air pump but I'm not really sure how wattage equals out to actual run time. This is my air pump https://amzn.to/3rgFE8Q

Would I get more runtime by running the air pump with the air tube in the water (I don't have an air stone) or the Mp10? Which one is more beneficial?

I'll feed right now.

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought Orlando wasn’t going to get hit? They aren’t in the direct path or on the coast? A day at most without heat and water circulation. Your biggest concern is circulation and heat. If heat is not an option then circulation should be. You ideally want an air stone that’s battery powered and a battery for the heater or some heat source maybe a portable heater to keep the room warm. Everything else is not essential. You could manually move the water but I’d recommend a battery powered air stone with extra batteries that has the ability to last a very long time. You could cover it with a towel etc. to keep heat in. Petco/PetSmart sells battery powered pumps and extra portable batteries.
Orlando is directly in the path of the storm. Too late for battery operated air stone. All I have is what's pictured below. If I have to use this battery back up should I run an Air pump or Mp10? Or should I run Heater plus one of those?im thinking the more I plug in the shorter the life of this backup will be.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20220928_175147_Samsung Internet.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220928_175147_Samsung Internet.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 21
  • imageService.jpeg.jpg
    imageService.jpeg.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 48

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Orlando is directly in the path of the storm. Too late for battery operated air stone. All I have is what's pictured below. If I have to use this battery back up should I run an Air pump or Mp10? Or should I run Heater plus one of those?im thinking the more I plug in the shorter the life of this backup will be.
As in as hard as Tampa/Ft Myers area. You are more inland. But power woud still be a concern. Which is good that’s it’s going to be less as strong compared to the coast.

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first charge the battery backup and you can leave one pump on the system plugged into it. The 5-6 hour mark is without oxygen. Since the weather temperature wise is fine should be in 70s. You can stir the water with a plastic spatulate every hour to get oxygen and flow for 5 minutes or so.
I would also fill a red cup and pour it into the tank several times during this process. I imagine your coral growth will be minimal without lights so no need to dose. Id save the battery till night when your going to sleep because you will be able to manually move the water. if your tank drops to 72 and above shouldn't be a major issue. Id turn the heater up to 80 well its still on as well.
Thanks so much I didn't even think of only using the battery back up when I'm sleep. If the power goes out I'll start with the stir and pour method you described. I do have an extra heater but I'm thinking the wattage a heater requires will drain that small battery backup quickly.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back