OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing is open in orlando? And btw you did it right preparing your family and yourself first. This is the correct order of operation.
Thank you. Everything closed in Orlando at 1pm. I was the last one in Costco searching for something to keep my tank alive.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orlando is directly in the path of the storm. Too late for battery operated air stone. All I have is what's pictured below. If I have to use this battery back up should I run an Air pump or Mp10? Or should I run Heater plus one of those?im thinking the more I plug in the shorter the life of this backup will be.
I would run the pump . And as Tuan suggested freeze bottles of water to float in your tank if the temp gets too high also it wouldn’t hurt to do a 10 % water change every few days if you can

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: I have about 6 hours left that I feel confident I'll have power. Should I be making more saltwater? I have 10 Gallons stored but my 20 gallon mixing bend is empty.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just thought of something else you could do which is more work but could work. You could package the livestock like it‘s ready to be shipped in bags full of air and an insulated cooler. Livestock has been known to be able to survive up to a week sometimes more in certain circumstances but water changes would help etc. Also yes feed sparingly.
Livestock being shipped is filled with 100% medical oxygen, not with air.

Put fish in a sealed bag and they will die when you open the bag.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orlando is directly in the path of the storm. Too late for battery operated air stone. All I have is what's pictured below. If I have to use this battery back up should I run an Air pump or Mp10? Or should I run Heater plus one of those?im thinking the more I plug in the shorter the life of this backup will be.

No heater, run whatever is low watts for flow to make it last.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eye will roll south of the city of Orlando, Most will feel Hurricane winds in central Florida.

If all fail, use a pitcher, fill the pitcher with tank water and pour the water back into the tank. I would suggest having one pump near the top of the tank to introduce air in to the tank water and also keep some water circulating. Feed as normal.

For those who have never been through a hurricane, electric can be down for three or more weeks. If your power lines are buried, you are in a much better area and you might lose electric for a much shorter time. The electric crews will not start work until the winds die down.

I wish you all the best durning this difficult time.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: I have about 6 hours left that I feel confident I'll have power. Should I be making more saltwater? I have 10 Gallons stored but my 20 gallon mixing bend is empty.
No, you will not need it.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also in Orlando and wind is starting to pick up but center is not expected until tomorrow morning. Freeze a few water bottles now and charge the ups you got. I would plug 1 mp10 and set it to the lowest setting if power does go out. There are 11k without power in Orlando according to Duke Energy. Stay safe!

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eye will roll south of the city of Orlando, Most will feel Hurricane winds in central Florida.

If all fail, use a pitcher, fill the pitcher with tank water and pour the water back into the tank. I would suggest having one pump near the top of the tank to introduce air in to the tank water and also keep some water circulating. Feed as normal.

For those who have never been through a hurricane, electric can be down for three or more weeks. If your power lines are buried, you are in a much better area and you might lose electric for a much shorter time. The electric crews will not start work until the winds die down.

I wish you all the best durning this difficult time.
Thank so much. I'll put one of my MP10s near the surface and try to run it in a mode that will use the least amount of wattage. I'll go with the pitcher and pour method until I'm tired or need sleep.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey Everyone, I'm in Orlando and Hurricane Ian is a few hours away from me. I've got everything prepared for my family but now I'm worried about my tank. I know I should have gotten a battery backup system, but I failed on that (I'll definitely have one going forward).

Already 400k without power in Florida so I'm wondering what can I do manually to keep my fish alive if I lose power? Do things like stirring the water up or filling a pitcher with tank water and pouring back into the tank help with oxygen?

I did manage to get a small battery backup unit from Costco about an hour ago but I'm not sure how much that will help. Here is the link to what I got. https://www.costco.com/cyberpower-1...-with-surge-protection.product.100845557.html

I have two Mp10 wave makers and an Octopos return pump. Live stock is 4 Tangs and a Clownfish. I have coral but that's not my main concern.

I tagged this as Emergency cause I have power now so anything I can do while the lights are on, I need to do right away.

I have 10 Gallons of saltwater stored and about 20 Gallons of RODI on hand. My tank is the Redsea 250.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated? Also does anyone know how long my fish family can live without power? I Google and I see anywhere from two to five hours. Thanks
battery operated pumps valueable to keep water moving and provide oxygen. Ice Packs (frozen water in ziplock bags will keep temp down. Pumps and temp will keep fish going quite a few hours, even overnight. This time- utility trucks are on standby to restore power opposed to other hurricanes.
Do not feed and raise ammonia during outage.
Have bacteria ready to add to system once power restored should it go out. Even the most sensitive corals in a reef tank can survive for days without intense light, but the stamina of fish, inverts, corals and beneficial bacteria deteriorate rapidly without a reasonable supply of oxygen so in the event of a power failure, the primary objective both short and long-term for the aquarist is to supply oxygen to the tank and move water (even periodically) within the tank.
The nitrifying bacteria which resides in the tank (on the live rock, tanks walls, etc.) will live and continue to process ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates if oxygen is supplied

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also in Orlando and wind is starting to pick up but center is not expected until tomorrow morning. Freeze a few water bottles now and charge the ups you got. I would plug 1 mp10 and set it to the lowest setting if power does go out. There are 11k without power in Orlando according to Duke Energy. Stay safe!
Hey Neighbor, do you have a power back system for your tank? I got some bottles in the freezer now. I didn't know it was already residents without power in Orlando. :(

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was 12 years old(3 years into saltwater fish by then), we got a snow storm that dumped 5 feet of snow on us and knocked out the power for 4 days. I filled plastic milk bottles with hot water and floated them in my tanks to keep them warm and blew into a piece of airline tubing with a airstone for water circulation every 15 minutes as well as putting tank water in a cup and pouring it back into the tank. Everything lived. Of coarse stoves and hot water heaters had pilot lights that burned all the time back then(1972).

Good luck.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree it isnt about the food or the eating but we are assuming that when the power comes back on OP wont have ammonia issues. Now after an extended period you are going to feed? Wouldnt do that. Wouldnt recommend that. You are basing this on 2-3 day period. May not be? May be longer? I guess agree to disagree.
I didn't assume that. I said - (or tried to say) - if you have your sump off, for example, you should drain that - and assume it's 'a new addition'. I.e. I would not just start up an anerobic area after a power outage

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back