1664405001565.jpeg
1664405038782.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Question: I have about 6 hours left that I feel confident I'll have power. Should I be making more saltwater? I have 10 Gallons stored but my 20 gallon mixing bend is empty.
Yes

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't assume that. I said - (or tried to say) - if you have your sump off, for example, you should drain that - and assume it's 'a new addition'. I.e. I would not just start up an anerobic area after a power outage
Ahhhh i got you. I see now. That is great point!

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a sump and a air pump you could put airline well into the intake of the return pump. Air and water would go up the return line and into the tank. Although nowhere near as good as the pump working it would still keep the system working like normal just at a slower rate.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Neighbor, do you have a power back system for your tank?
I have the ecotech battery backup which is good for 36 hours for a single MP10, frozen water, and bubbler.

Lots of folks comparing Ian to Charlie back in 2004 and some in this area were left up to 2 weeks without power. I move here in 2008 and lost power for Irma but it was for a day.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone has not mentioned it the Walmart battery airpumps will keep a tank alive for multiple days if you can also keep temps up. put a couple in display and one in fuge if you have one tank temp 72 or better should keep things alive.

I kept a 55 gallon mixed reef alive for 3 days on them back before I had a generator. Tank got down to 69 degrees and didn't lose anything not even sps.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Winter Haven and I've been without power since about 5pm. I have a 2000 watt inverter and 2 deep cycle marine batteries out of my boat I'm running both of my DC return pumps at about 25% trying to get them to last as long as possible. So between the two I'm guessing somewhere around 40 watts total. Good luck and stay safe
Power is out in the neighborhood behind me, hoping it's just an iso

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes I agree that it was. Seemed to me as if the media was overhyping this thing as they are prone to do. I deleted my message.
Overhyped- this is provided with exception of last pic from a friend who lives in the towers facing the cruise ship terminal and its worse than pics show. I have a home in the area and quite concerned as to potential damage as most homes in the area have 6-8 of water already
Having manhole covers blown off by water pressure, cars floating down the coast and houses with roofs blown off is not quite overhyped.
Not yelling, but expressing what is REALLY happening there right now. See some of the video Live on you tube and picture someone you know in the eye of it

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Winter Haven and I've been without power since about 5pm. I have a 2000 watt inverter and 2 deep cycle marine batteries out of my boat I'm running both of my DC return pumps at about 25% trying to get them to last as long as possible. So between the two I'm guessing somewhere around 40 watts total. Good luck and stay safe
Praying everything survives for you. Let's get through this storm safe.

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overhyped- this is provided with exception of last pic from a friend who lives in the towers facing the cruise ship terminal and its worse than pics show. I have a home in the area and quite concerned as to potential damage as most homes in the area have 6-8 of water already
Having manhole covers blown off by water pressure, cars floating down the coast and houses with roofs blown off is not quite overhyped.
Not yelling, but expressing what is REALLY happening there right now. See some of the video Live on you tube and picture someone you know in the eye of it
My uncle has 6 feet of the ocean inside of his home in Naples right now. This storm is definitely not "overhyped".

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My uncle has 6 feet of the ocean inside of his home in Naples right now. This storm is definitely not "overhyped".
Agree. We’ve been through a bunch of these in Savannah Georgia as well. Keep safe. Fish tanks can be replaced. People can’t. Thoughts and prayers to all.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ya on twitter, there are videos of houses floating away off their foundations. Also of someone trying to swim in the surge and being thrown around...

Last edited by a moderator:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back