Hurricane Ready

Discussion in 'Tank Emergency' started by Thirdeyesight17, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Thirdeyesight17

Thirdeyesight17 Active Member

For those of us lucky enough to be in the Carolina's and Virginia it's not looking good. What precautions are you taking for your tanks? I just waited in line for 2hrs for a generator, hopefully everyone is prepared for the worst I'm in NC.

jsker, wesman42, mta_morrow and 4 others like this.
    Tags:

2. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Delaware Reef Club Build Thread Contributor

Be safe. Generator and enough gas to run it for a couple days. Battery air pump is good too so you can switch the generator off if needed.

jsker, mta_morrow, Dsnakes and 2 others like this.
  3. beardown

beardown Member

I don't have much to go on for you, I live in Chicago, but I wishing the best for all of my fellow reefers in its' path. Stay safe.

4. xaflatoonx

xaflatoonx Active Member

from houston here - we went through hell last year.
    so best wishes from all of us to you guys - please stay safe and do whatever is needed for SAFETY first!

jsker, Dsnakes, Captain Quint and 2 others like this.
  5. Reab

Reab Active Member

I was in NC last year for the hurricanes, I ordered a generator online from target and had it shipped to my door. I got the one that can use propane aswell as gas just incase!

6. Gareth elliott

Gareth elliott Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

Went through sandy and irene before that, both equaled 2-3 weeks without power. Irene i lost a almost all my freshwater fish, bought a solar generator and battery packs after that. Sandy was much different thanks to that. If get a gas generator second @TheEngineer on getting lots of gas . After sandy it was 3 days before there was a gas station open. Even then it was divided up who went what day.

If its bad leave, your fish are not worth the risks of severe flooding. Best of luck!

7. jgvergo

jgvergo Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Hudson Valley Reef Keepers

It's great to have a generator, but don't risk your life for your tank. If you are in a storm surge zone, get out! As much we love it, a tank can be rebuilt.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    jsker, wesman42, mta_morrow and 2 others like this.
  8. lazidog

lazidog Member

Be sure if your generator is not an inverter generator you need to run sensitive electronics such as LED lights and Apex through an inverter or unlimited power supply, I lost all of my APEX programming due to "dirty" power from generator. Standard generator is good for non DC pumps, heaters, old style lights. It would stink to burn up solid state/chip run electronics.

jsker, Dsnakes, Rcpilot and 1 other person like this.
  9. Muttley000

Muttley000 Active Member Build Thread Contributor

We vacation in Longs SC and have grown to love the area. I would move in a minute if I could find the right job. Best of luck to all of you!

jsker, Dsnakes and Thirdeyesight17 like this.
  10. Geebs19

Geebs19 Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Be safe. You can always replace fish, not lives. Be smart!

11. Thirdeyesight17

Thirdeyesight17 Active Member

Yeah I stayed away from the inverter they were asking 1k for 2500w which is crazy nevertheless I managed to pick up a standard 4000 watt generator I'm just powering my biocube 32 with Steve's LEDs but you're saying that the standard generators burnt through your more up to date equipment?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    jsker and Dsnakes like this.
  12. Captain Quint

Captain Quint Active Member

Carolina native here.

Hopes for South Carolina to be safe as well.

As of now, it appears she has switched from hitting Wilmington head on and heading more toward SC for initial impact.

Ugh.

13. Rcpilot

Rcpilot Zoa Freak

Standard Home Depot or Lowes generators create "dirty" power. Not good for running sensitive electronics like computers, reef controllers, smart TV's etc..

I'm not an electronic expert. Just some stuff I read about these generators. We're in Florida, east coast about 1hr south of Daytona. Thankfully, I'm on the same grid as the local hospital. Neighbors have informed us that they've only lost power once in 20yrs -- it lasted about 4 hrs. I still bought a 10,500w genie and 6 (5g) gas cans. I don't keep the cans full. If we get a storm warning, I'll go fill them up a couple days before it gets here.

14. acro-ed

acro-ed Active Member

I've been through several hurricanes, and two notable ones where we were without power for over a week.

Get a generator and PLENTY more gas than you think you need. Gas will be extremely hard to come by for days or even weeks after the storm. Driving an hour now if that's what it takes may be the difference in keeping your generator running a week after the storm.

The storm isn't the problem, its the piles of debris and lack of functional infrastructure for days and weeks afterwards....

-Ed

15. ScooterV

ScooterV Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I'm in the panhandle. Last year I said I needed a generator by next hurricane season, not much livestock to lose yet then. Well, here I am and still no generator. I finally decided I want dual fuel, AND it be an inverter generator (more fuel options, clean power, longer run time if load is low). I found lots of options with one, or the other, but few with both. I almost bought one last week. While not in the path of this monster, it reminded me. I went back this morning to place an order and all online retails have jacked the price by $80 to $300 since two days ago :( Seems they want to take advantage of the sudden demand.

jsker, Thirdeyesight17 and Dsnakes like this.
  16. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member R2R Supporter CTARS Member R2R Excellence Award R2R TV Featured Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

I would always have 20 gallons of gasoline on hand and make sure the cars are full. Use gas stabilizer if you plan to store it, otherwise jus put what you don’t use into the car afterwards.

jsker, Dsnakes and Thirdeyesight17 like this.
  17. Tham121988

Tham121988 Active Member R2R Supporter

All above advice is really good. Went through Hurricane Katrina and whelp… not much to do in that situation other than try to survive it yourself lol.

jsker, Thirdeyesight17 and Dsnakes like this.
  18. Dsnakes

Dsnakes Knight Reefer R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

I’m in the OBX. Looks like we will be just fine with the more southern shift. I’ve got a generator and plenty of fuel.

jsker and Thirdeyesight17 like this.
  19. Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve Member MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor

My dad has been through quite a few hurricane evacs over the years and here is his method.

1. Coolers drilled in top for air lines, heater cord, and a power head cord. (He has used cheap box store coolers, but now has the fancy expensive ones for keeping bait alive)
    2. Power inverter for his SUV.
    3. Fish go into their own coolers with air and power head. Live rock does get put into coolers to aid with filter. He uses pvc and zipties to make sure they dont move around.
    4. Corals go into other coolers with power head and air. Live rock applies here to if it has corals on it.
    5. Multiple battery operated air pumps for bait buckets.
    6. Multiple bottles of Prime.

Some of his fish have been through quite a few storm evacs and have done fine. He usually leaves and comes up to TN and the fish go into something we rig up at my house. He has stayed in hotels before and the coolers just go inside and get plugged in there.

Remember, most our fish and corals have been shipped in tiny bags at one point, so they usually can cope with some time in a cooler.

Otherwise, please be safe, and my prayers are with you all.

cwiller, jsker and Arcticfirefighter like this.
  20. Reab

Reab Active Member

If you're worried about budget and a generator. Here's a tip. Bite the bullet now and get everything ready to go, but don't put anything in the generator yet. If **** hits the fan. You're set and if not, the most you have spent after returns is the gas bottles and you have extra gas for your vehicle. Do not wait until it is too late

DSC reef likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted