Hurricane Ready

Thirdeyesight17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of us lucky enough to be in the Carolina's and Virginia it's not looking good. What precautions are you taking for your tanks? I just waited in line for 2hrs for a generator, hopefully everyone is prepared for the worst I'm in NC.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went through sandy and irene before that, both equaled 2-3 weeks without power. Irene i lost a almost all my freshwater fish, bought a solar generator and battery packs after that. Sandy was much different thanks to that. If get a gas generator second @TheEngineer on getting lots of gas . After sandy it was 3 days before there was a gas station open. Even then it was divided up who went what day.

If its bad leave, your fish are not worth the risks of severe flooding. Best of luck!

lazidog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure if your generator is not an inverter generator you need to run sensitive electronics such as LED lights and Apex through an inverter or unlimited power supply, I lost all of my APEX programming due to "dirty" power from generator. Standard generator is good for non DC pumps, heaters, old style lights. It would stink to burn up solid state/chip run electronics.

OP
OP
Thirdeyesight17

Thirdeyesight17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure if your generator is not an inverter generator you need to run sensitive electronics such as LED lights and Apex through an inverter or unlimited power supply, I lost all of my APEX programming due to "dirty" power from generator. Standard generator is good for non DC pumps, heaters, old style lights. It would stink to burn up solid state/chip run electronics.

Yeah I stayed away from the inverter they were asking 1k for 2500w which is crazy nevertheless I managed to pick up a standard 4000 watt generator I'm just powering my biocube 32 with Steve's LEDs but you're saying that the standard generators burnt through your more up to date equipment?

Last edited:

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carolina native here.

Hopes for South Carolina to be safe as well.

As of now, it appears she has switched from hitting Wilmington head on and heading more toward SC for initial impact.

Ugh.

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard Home Depot or Lowes generators create "dirty" power. Not good for running sensitive electronics like computers, reef controllers, smart TV's etc..

I'm not an electronic expert. Just some stuff I read about these generators. We're in Florida, east coast about 1hr south of Daytona. Thankfully, I'm on the same grid as the local hospital. Neighbors have informed us that they've only lost power once in 20yrs -- it lasted about 4 hrs. I still bought a 10,500w genie and 6 (5g) gas cans. I don't keep the cans full. If we get a storm warning, I'll go fill them up a couple days before it gets here.

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've been through several hurricanes, and two notable ones where we were without power for over a week.

Get a generator and PLENTY more gas than you think you need. Gas will be extremely hard to come by for days or even weeks after the storm. Driving an hour now if that's what it takes may be the difference in keeping your generator running a week after the storm.

The storm isn't the problem, its the piles of debris and lack of functional infrastructure for days and weeks afterwards....

-Ed

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the panhandle. Last year I said I needed a generator by next hurricane season, not much livestock to lose yet then. Well, here I am and still no generator. I finally decided I want dual fuel, AND it be an inverter generator (more fuel options, clean power, longer run time if load is low). I found lots of options with one, or the other, but few with both. I almost bought one last week. While not in the path of this monster, it reminded me. I went back this morning to place an order and all online retails have jacked the price by $80 to $300 since two days ago :( Seems they want to take advantage of the sudden demand.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would always have 20 gallons of gasoline on hand and make sure the cars are full. Use gas stabilizer if you plan to store it, otherwise jus put what you don’t use into the car afterwards.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dad has been through quite a few hurricane evacs over the years and here is his method.

1. Coolers drilled in top for air lines, heater cord, and a power head cord. (He has used cheap box store coolers, but now has the fancy expensive ones for keeping bait alive)
2. Power inverter for his SUV.
3. Fish go into their own coolers with air and power head. Live rock does get put into coolers to aid with filter. He uses pvc and zipties to make sure they dont move around.
4. Corals go into other coolers with power head and air. Live rock applies here to if it has corals on it.
5. Multiple battery operated air pumps for bait buckets.
6. Multiple bottles of Prime.

Some of his fish have been through quite a few storm evacs and have done fine. He usually leaves and comes up to TN and the fish go into something we rig up at my house. He has stayed in hotels before and the coolers just go inside and get plugged in there.

Remember, most our fish and corals have been shipped in tiny bags at one point, so they usually can cope with some time in a cooler.

Otherwise, please be safe, and my prayers are with you all.

Reab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're worried about budget and a generator. Here's a tip. Bite the bullet now and get everything ready to go, but don't put anything in the generator yet. If **** hits the fan. You're set and if not, the most you have spent after returns is the gas bottles and you have extra gas for your vehicle. Do not wait until it is too late

Back