Hurricane Ready

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@redfishbluefish to you point it may not be too late for those without power.

The big box stores will all be out, that's a guarantee. Last year while cleaning up after Irma I broke my chainsaw chain so had to go to our local Stihl dealer to get a new one. They sell all kinds of power equipment there including generators. They had made arrangements with stores out west and were receiving daily truckloads of generators. This was 3 days after Irma. Don't be afraid to go put your name on a waiting list.

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my display tank, got an MP40 connected to a 55 amp hour battery which may get me through 5-6 days. Got 2 Penn Plax automatic air pumps for $22 each from Amazon which can bubble for 3 days on two D batteries.

In both 20 gallon QT tanks got a Penn Plax air bubbler for the fish. Wish I could get a gas generator but I live in a condo and the HOA would blow a gasket if they saw a gas generator on my patio lol.

OP
OP
Thirdeyesight17

Thirdeyesight17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Storm looks to have dropped to a Cat 1 just rain and winds here. Hope everyone is well. If anything definitely prepared for the future guess there's like 2 more tropical storms behind Florence.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Storm looks to have dropped to a Cat 1 just rain and winds here. Hope everyone is well. If anything definitely prepared for the future guess there's like 2 more tropical storms behind Florence.

Dunno if you're North or South of the eye, but if you're South of it, you're still at risk of some upcoming flooding as the winds will turn and stop pushing all the water out.

Stay safe.

OP
OP
Thirdeyesight17

Thirdeyesight17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dunno if you're North or South of the eye, but if you're South of it, you're still at risk of some upcoming flooding as the winds will turn and stop pushing all the water out.

Stay safe.

I'm north of it, yeah flooding is def to be expected. Just glad the storm died down a bit still dangerous nevertheless but not a Cat 4.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm north of it, yeah flooding is def to be expected. Just glad the storm died down a bit still dangerous nevertheless but not a Cat 4.

Agreed, all of the water damage is going to be bad enough and it's currently looking like the center of circulation may actually pop back out into water which would be real bad. Hopefully things take a turn for the better. I've been through more then my fair share so I feel for you guys.

Edit: Wanted to add this reminds me of what Texas dealt with, with Harvey (I think it was) last year before Irma came through us.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is kind of off topic. But is it possible that all the people that have dealt with the hurricane prep to collectively get together and develop a hurricane checklist and suggestions. Then post it as a sticky thread so it is available when future storms hit? If I still lived in NC I would have loved a quick reference that I could print an start down the list.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is kind of off topic. But is it possible that all the people that have dealt with the hurricane prep to collectively get together and develop a hurricane checklist and suggestions. Then post it as a sticky thread so it available when future storms hit? If I still lived in NC I would have loved a quick reference that I could print an start down the list.

I will copy and paste this in the RS Forum, set a timeframe and see what we come up to in there. Then move it out to the masses for review and either add to it or get it stickied.

Great Idea!

Lance Schneider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lived through more than a few hurricanes here in S. Fl and can say you can’t prepare enough. A battery powered air pump and plenty of batteries are a must as you may be without power for days and maybe weeks. I was surprised at how much evaporation there was with the air pumps running so be sure to have enough RO on hand.

OP
OP
Thirdeyesight17

Thirdeyesight17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3 no power, generator has already paided itself off. I haven't had any issues running my generator to my tanks LED lighting as mentioned before thankfully. Now for the record flooding that is suppose to occur to the Cape fear river. Hope everyone is safe and all is well.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back