Hydros Owners: how happy are you long term?

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 30 inputs created and 62 outputs created in the collective.
You've clearly figured something out that many others are struggling with. I can barely get a small handful of devices to work the way I want them to and it's been an overall negative experience. I can't imagine trying to juggle 30 inputs and 62 outputs. At least not the way things are currently organized within the app.

The WaveEngine LE does not have the 0-10v outputs if I remember correctly.
It does not. It has two pump outputs and a 0-10v input, which seems odd to me. I would have thought, since it's a Wave Engine, if it's only going to have one or the other, it would have 0-10v output to control a pump. I'm sure that some people run into a wall with that, but it doesn't make any difference to me since, if I need an output, there's one on the control.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've clearly figured something out that many others are struggling with. I can barely get a small handful of devices to work the way I want them to and it's been an overall negative experience. I can't imagine trying to juggle 30 inputs and 62 outputs. At least not the way things are currently organized within the app.

It does not. It has two pump outputs and a 0-10v input, which seems odd to me. I would have thought, since it's a Wave Engine, if it's only going to have one or the other, it would have 0-10v output to control a pump. I'm sure that some people run into a wall with that, but it doesn't make any difference to me since, if I need an output, there's one on the control.
Are you aware of the DIY area on the Hydros forum here https://forum.coralvuehydros.com/forums/diy-hydros.28/ . Like I said I don't use a 0-10v input to trigger a mode but Jeff has done this and also sells a button box you can use for this that hooks to the 0-10v input. He is on that forum quite often. So he may be able to help with your questions on the mode issues.

The WaveEngine LE was a replacement for the Icecap controller. The Icecap s no longer available and the WaveEngine LE is packaged with the Icecap pumps now. I can see why the did it since the Icecap controller used the Hydros app but could not be a part of the collective. With the WE LE that solves that issue but is still a two pump controller like the Icecap it replaced. I think the reason for the 0-10v input only is for control of the modes using switches. You can also use them to interface to another type controller to control the pumps.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you aware of the DIY area on the Hydros forum here https://forum.coralvuehydros.com/forums/diy-hydros.28/ . Like I said I don't use a 0-10v input to trigger a mode but Jeff has done this and also sells a button box you can use for this that hooks to the 0-10v input. He is on that forum quite often. So he may be able to help with your questions on the mode issues.
I've spent a bit of time lurking over there. I followed some of their directions in an attempt to add some DIY buttons. Got myself a plastic enclosure box, some buttons, wires, GX12-6P connectors etc. Got everything all mounted and, luckily, before I got too deep into the project, I decided I should test all this to make sure it works and that's when I started running into (software) issues and realizing this project might not accomplish what I thought it would.

Also, regarding the pump, I'd love to see a way to activate a different flow pattern based on the mode. For example, I can make it turn off while in feed mode, but I'd prefer if I could have run at, say, 10% during feed mode. All the other water moving/filtering equipment is off, but this still keeps the food from falling right to the bottom.
Similarly, I know some people set these types of pumps to run in reverse for X minutes each day to kick up some of the detritus. From what I've seen, they do that by having two schedules for the pump. One that runs it in the backwards pattern and then another than runs it in their normal pattern for the remainder of the day.
It would be nice to have a mode (which could be activated/deactivated by a button) to put pump into a different pattern.
Maybe there's a way, it's not something I've spent too much time thinking about.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the pump you can create a schedule that is linked to a mode, but you have to uncheck all the other schedules for that mode for it to work. I have feed schedules but they are timed to coincide with my auto feeder. I do have one for the low power mode that runs the pumps at 10%. Below are screenshots of that schedule. You have to set the start time and end time to 00:00:00 for it to work. Also it has to be active in only the mode you want it active in and make sure all the other schedules for the pump in the schedule you created are unchecked in that mode.

2AD2D6E4-59F7-4021-A219-F0EF399BCC90.png

B4009045-2B66-473C-B974-CA4D215E5D13.png

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone walk me through getting the 0-10v input (on the WaveEngine LE) to work.
I can get a button press to trigger a mode, but there doesn't seem to be a way to make it so that pressing the same button will kick the hydros back out of that mode. For example, I might want to put it into feed mode to shut off the pumps (for something other than feeding, for example) and then a minute later I want to put it back into normal mode.
I got some time to try some things on my WaveEngine V2 today since it is not in my collective. I hooked up a switch between input A and ground on a GX12 connector and tested it using Feed Mode and the Exit Delay setting is how long you want it to stay in that mode after the voltage on the mode input is met. Pressing the button again does not appear to do anything like you got also. The regular delay does not appear to have any bearing when the mode is triggered by the mode input. There is a delay of a few seconds before the exit Delay countdown starts. This is a new controller but it appears to work like the WE LE you have. If you want them to add a check box to allow a second button press to abort the mode I would submit a feature request for that here https://forum.coralvuehydros.com/forums/hydros-new-features-equipment-requests.26/ . To me it sounds like a good idea to have a way to exit it if you want. With a check box it would be a choice as to whether it would be allowed or not depending on the mode. Below are the settings on the mode I was using to test this. I activated the Flow Low Power schedule since it is the same speed as the feed schedules but it has the time set so it can activate any time. All the other schedules are off in the Feeding mode the way I had it setup. Also there is a screenshot with it triggered using the switch and one after the exit timeout expired.

0DD7DEB5-0E1C-4883-AF3C-677878D1885A.png

49B56C52-106A-48CC-8D5D-7E0C84ECF374.png

0EEB3726-DE0E-4A11-AA0A-399171E7EA4F.png

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want them to add a check box to allow a second button press to abort the mode
But there is a check box (well, a drop down), but it doesn't appear to do anything. The last option is "On Second Press" and the choices are 'end event' or 'restart event'.
What's an event? Is that the issue here? I think this is the only place in the software I've seen the word 'event'. Is this meant to control events that I'm not aware of? Is that why it can't be used to (directly) control outputs?

(note, other than 0-10v and 'button' those are all default settings, I just created it for the screen shot)

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, were you talking about a checkbox specifically for modes? Yeah, that would be great. What would be even better is if I could simply create an input, tell hydros what the input is and where to find it, then use that input to (directly) control outputs or modes or whatever.
It shouldn't be this hard.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How happy are you was asked

My primary controller ecosystem is Neptune and has been since 1999. I have been running a pair of XF280 gyres for a few years now with one recently having to be taken off line. The wire shielding started to separate from the motor block exposing the wires. While it worked I took it off line and used it for spare parts while I look at other options.

The main weakness of the XF280 gyre is the controller. It works well but the font size isn't great. Looking around the cost of a new 280 wasn't ideal and used wasn't really an option I saw the Icecap 4k. Ok, that may work but I want to run / control both. Not a option since they don't share a controller (not an ideal design but I understand why). Enter the Hydros Le.

Ok - enough back story. Ordered the Icecap 4k with the Hydros Le package which allows me to integrate the older XF280 using the proper cable. Open box, connect everything together, download app to my phone, scan web portal for a few steps, 4k was up and running in no time. Disconnect the XF280 from the controller, attach to Hydros, scan portal for FAQ, instructions, nothing. Go back and read again, see what I missed, and Bob's your Uncle. Working. Grab a cup of coffee, ask a fellow hobbyist who I know runs the complete Hydros package, make a few changes, and now it is really working via schedule, right flow, etc.

Some thoughts:
1. Only solution to allow different Gyres to work together under one app/controller
2. Clean installation and setup
3. Single power brick (I've said this to Carlos when they first announced the Hydros - single power brick is innovative - give that person a raise)
4. Can integrate with my Apex via 0-10v to flip feed and water change mode
5. Wish it had sensitivity/feedback on the app when using sliders - would make adjustments easier

That is more or less it. Works great and best option for me. I'm not using the whole package outside the Le and do not have plans to. However it does work, work well, and can somewhat integrate to my ecosystem. That is enough. If I wanted a stretch goal it would be to maybe have it support Neptune's IotA api stack like Kessil and Sicce but don't see that happening. 0-10v works for me and I'm a happy customer.

TL;DR - what little I've used it is well built, works great, easy to setup, and a valid option as I see it. That is about as unbiased feedback I can give. Hope it helps.

All the best.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, were you talking about a checkbox specifically for modes? Yeah, that would be great. What would be even better is if I could simply create an input, tell hydros what the input is and where to find it, then use that input to (directly) control outputs or modes or whatever.
It shouldn't be this hard.
Yes, I was talking about modes. I did not add a input to the wave engine since the only thing I have on it at this point is my MP10's. I did have a power strip hooked up and paired with it for a while. That works with the WaveEngine V2 which I have.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I should be able to figure this out easily, but I'm struggling.

My skimmer is on a hydros wifi strip. I currently have it set to turn off every day from 6am-7am. On Monday and Thursday I'd like to extend that to 7am-11am. How do I achieve this is type of schedule?

Thanks in advance.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I should be able to figure this out easily, but I'm struggling.

My skimmer is on a hydros wifi strip. I currently have it set to turn off every day from 6am-7am. On Monday and Thursday I'd like to extend that to 7am-11am. How do I achieve this is type of schedule?

Thanks in advance.
Create a output using something that can be controlled by a schedule like flourescent light. Then create a schedule to turn on the light at the times you want the skimmer off. You may have to use two schedules for this since you want different times on different day of the week. Then go to your skimmer output and set the depends on to that output and set it to off if on. If you had a depends on on the skimmer you can add that to the schedules and set it to turn on if you want the skimmer off which is basically the opposite of what you would do on the actual skimmer output. Hope this helps.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Create a output using something that can be controlled by a schedule like flourescent light. Then create a schedule to turn on the light at the times you want the skimmer off. You may have to use two schedules for this since you want different times on different day of the week. Then go to your skimmer output and set the depends on to that output and set it to off if on. If you had a depends on on the skimmer you can add that to the schedules and set it to turn on if you want the skimmer off which is basically the opposite of what you would do on the actual skimmer output. Hope this helps.
Thank you, that makes sense. Hopefully they add some more intuitive ways to schedule something like this in the future. Seems strange that I could program this easily on a standard smart strip, but not on a Hydros.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydros Xp8 works as advertised. The x4 is offline and lit red since this morning, no clue why, internet is fine. Support ticket has been sent. The Xp8 is running, no glitches. Anyone have any idea why the x4 would go offline?

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hydros Xp8 works as advertised. The x4 is offline and lit red since this morning, no clue why, internet is fine. Support ticket has been sent. The Xp8 is running, no glitches. Anyone have any idea why the x4 would go offline?

I've had that twice with a XS. Try turning the X4 power off and on again.

Mine appears to have been caused when the router briefly loses connection to the outside world. When the router connection is re-established, sometimes the Hydros doesn't reconnect.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try powering down the collective and powering it back up?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like a Star Trek TNG episode...
Yes, but that is what they call two or more controllers working as a larger controller. You are not suppose to unplug the control buss with power applied. The XP8 would be supplying power for both controllers unless there is also a Wave Engine and that case both would have to be unplugged to remove power from the collective.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t touched it since this is a replacement from my original x4.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 58 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back