Hyposalinity for prazi resistant flukes?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch this video:

I’m almost 100% sure this is what you refer to as head shaking. If so, it’s a clownfish either turning into female, or courtship behavior. Nothing to do with parasites.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re doing great. I know Jay Hemdal recommends having 2.5ppm in 24 hours. The wait isn’t needed, although if it makes you feel better it’s ok.

did you just set up this QT? Why are nitrates so high? Could it be a false positive from an uncycled tank?

Nitrates won’t harm fish in common levels like ammonia does. And FYI: Prime doesn’t actually work to detoxify ammonia. Reefers tested it. It was a marketing scam. I’d really rely on water changes for ammonia. Luckily you have a very light bioload. I QT 3 tangs and fed pretty heavily with only slight ammonia.

Don’t worry about nitrates. Focus on ammonia. It’s basically impossible to kill fish from high nitrates in a QT (unless you are dumping a whole bottle of pellets) even then, the ammonia will kill them way before nitrates could be produced.
Yeah just set qt up about 3 days ago with bottled bacteria and new biomedia.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch this video:

I’m almost 100% sure this is what you refer to as head shaking. If so, it’s a clownfish either turning into female, or courtship behavior. Nothing to do with parasites.

No. Not like the mating twitch, like actual head shake. Clowns a bit lethargic atm, hope they pull through, goby is fine though.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah just set qt up about 3 days ago with bottled bacteria and new biomedia.
Don’t even bother testing for nitrates again! It was a false positive. You will never have a nitrate problem as it’s untoxic. Fish can handle probably around 100ppm before it’s even an issue.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Not like the mating twitch, like actual head shake. Clowns a bit lethargic atm, hope they pull through, goby is fine though.
Dose metro every other day for 14 days in case it’s brooknella. Let me find you pictures of brook.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose metro every other day for 14 days in case it’s brooknella. Let me find you pictures of brook.
I've done some research, it's a milky slime all over their body. Lots of mucous. I look at this sometimes.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skin sloughs off. The 3rd picture is more severe. It’s called clownfish disease because they are most prone to it.
BD3F3922-8074-4C23-A15E-518C61E60BD5.jpeg
1F724553-98D1-4426-AF21-52021CF35259.jpeg
595B0EB0-7C7F-4051-8700-B0F142F856A4.jpeg

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done some research, it's a milky slime all over their body. Lots of mucous.
Exactly. I know you mentioned something about opaque skin color. That’s why I thought it might have something to do with brook.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Any fish can. And they kill FAST.
Being that a tang barely has any mucous... It wouldn't look like a normal brooklynella we see on most fish? If this is the case...He did have a few opaque hazey patches on him and he died within 2 days of the first signs of rapid breathing.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being that a tang barely has any mucous... It wouldn't look like a normal brooklynella we see on most fish? If this is the case...He did have a few opaque hazey patches on him and he died within 2 days of the first signs of rapid breathing.
This is true. They don’t have much mucus to slough off. It’s one of those silent killers. Trouble breathing is one of the main symptoms.

I think a formalin bath would be very beneficial to the lethargic clowns. If you don’t feel comfortable with formalin, metronidazole (seachem metroplex) every other day for 14 days. I hope these clowns make it.

77A460B7-FCB7-4B7E-8CBA-4CF189BBF559.jpeg This tang possibly had brook. The pale spots were a secondary bacterial infection. It was very hard to find pictures of tangs with brook online.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! Ok
Printing this out and filling it in with dates in advance helped me immensely with my QT.
FBFA8D97-2717-4646-8447-74324C742835.png
I'll see if I can do that! I'll just put it on the wall next to my qt. Although I already keep notes in a book anyways this'll be good to see all the time so I don't forget anything.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure copper is predosed to 5 gallon bucket before water change.

Basically: don’t change your water (with copper) with fresh unmedicated saltwater.

The new water should be predosed with the copper concentration. You don’t want the dose to be erratic because ich/velvet can reattach to fish when copper is below therapeutic.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back