Hyposalinity for prazi resistant flukes?

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify - that is the hyposalinity regimen for ich, that is lower than what is needed for Neobenedenia, and is more stressful. If you are battling both issues, then of course do that, but for Neo only, it is gentler on the fish to go with half salinity.
Jay
Ok then maybe I'll run half salinity 1.020, for treating any flukes that survived prazipro and I'll add copper for anything that may be on them like velvet or ich that I can't see just to be sure. And hopefully at half salinity I won't have much of a pH problem but I'll get some buffer just to be safe.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the buffer I bought...
Screenshot_20210901-153322~2.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok then maybe I'll run half salinity 1.020, for treating any flukes that survived prazipro and I'll add copper for anything that may be on them like velvet or ich that I can't see just to be sure. And hopefully at half salinity I won't have much of a pH problem but I'll get some buffer just to be safe.
Sorry - lets check numbers: full strength seawater has a specific gravity of 1.025. Half salinity is 1.0125, not 1.020

Jay

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
Managed to get my quarantine from 1.026 SG to 1.020 today.

Still waiting on ammonia badge, copper power, and cheap thermometer in the mail...ofc they run late...

Will not lower past 1.020 until I get my reef buffer to maintain pH, which it's saying will come on sept 8th :( . Fish seem to be doing well.

I have also since raised my Display tank temperature to 82 Degrees Fahrenheit to have more of a chance to have success in wiping out protozoans such as marine ich which the clowns had in the beginning but never showed up again, or velvet,ect. Which I suspect is possible that it may have killed my tang.

I am aware that hyposalinity is a bad treatment for velvet, which is why I want to add copper power and do hyposalinity at the same time. The hyposalinity is for my suspected prazi resistant flukes and the copper power would be for any ich and possible velvet.

My goal is to bring my salinity down to 1.011 and dose copper power at the same time for I think 30 days, bit will probably do 35 if I can.

Here is a pic of my 10g quarantine with 2 clowns and 1 sleeper Banded Goby. Qt tank set at 78 degrees.

16307119652418151030634416317228.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
Managed to get my quarantine from 1.026 SG to 1.020 today.

Still waiting on ammonia badge, copper power, and cheap thermometer in the mail...ofc they run late...

Will not lower past 1.020 until I get my reef buffer to maintain pH, which it's saying will come on sept 8th :( . Fish seem to be doing well.

I have also since raised my Display tank temperature to 82 Degrees Fahrenheit to have more of a chance to have success in wiping out protozoans such as marine ich which the clowns had in the beginning but never showed up again, or velvet,ect. Which I suspect is possible that it may have killed my tang.

I am aware that hyposalinity is a bad treatment for velvet, which is why I want to add copper power and do hyposalinity at the same time. The hyposalinity is for my suspected prazi resistant flukes and the copper power would be for any ich and possible velvet.

My goal is to bring my salinity down to 1.011 and dose copper power at the same time for I think 30 days, bit will probably do 35 if I can.

Here is a pic of my 10g quarantine with 2 clowns and 1 sleeper Banded Goby. Qt tank set at 78 degrees.

16307119652418151030634416317228.jpg
I normally avoid using hypo and copper at the same time, so I don’t have a very robust data set as to if these stressful treatments will act synergistically or not….proceed carefully.

Jay

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally avoid using hypo and copper at the same time, so I don’t have a very robust data set as to if these stressful treatments will act synergistically or not….proceed carefully.

Jay
Ok, Well If I fail, at least we'll be able to learn what not to do. But let's hope things go ok.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO NOT use copper and hypo. You’ll kill your fish! Choose whether you want to treat for ich or flukes first.

The toxicity of most metals such as cadmium, chromium, copper, mercury, nickel, and zinc was reported to increase with decreasing salinity.
Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7576155

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! I guess I'll do hypo first and then copper. Just hoping I don't have any velvet in the meantime!
Marine Velvet will be suppressed during hypo. However, if you suspect your fish has velvet, I’d highly encourage treating with copper first. Flukes rarely kill fish, but velvet on the other hand…

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I can dose copper at 1.020 SG?
Can I ask why your salinity will be at 1.020? That salinity will have no effect on any parasites. I think the possible benefit of adding relief from parasites (unlikely) doesn’t outway the possible effects of copper and lower salinity.

I personally think 1.020 will be fine with copper, but there isn’t evidence nor studies that say how much more toxic copper would be at that salinity.

I just don’t see if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Also, did you say you dosed prazi in your DT?

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask why your salinity will be at 1.020? That salinity will have no effect on any parasites.

Also, did you say you dosed prazi in your DT?
I dropped my SG from 1.026 to 1.020 today in qt, my goal for hypo was 1.011. I'm just asking if I need to raise it before copper.

And yes I dosed prazipro in display 4x.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dropped my SG from 1.026 to 1.020 today in qt, my goal for hypo was 1.011. I'm just asking if I need to raise it before copper.

And yes I dosed prazipro in display 4x.
I’d feel more comfortable with a higher salinity.

Also, I doubt that you actually have prazi resistant flukes. The more probable likelihood is that the bacteria in your DT is degrading the medications before the prazipro can have the effect on the flukes. It’s a real problem and the main reason why I sterile my QT ever 2-3 batches.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d feel more comfortable with a higher salinity.

Also, I doubt that you actually have prazi resistant flukes. The more probable likelihood is that the bacteria in your DT is degrading the medications before the prazipro can have the effect on the flukes. It’s a real problem and the main reason why I sterile my QT ever 2-3 batches.
Maybe...But I should treat copper first because I had a tang die like a week ago, and it had fast breathing for 2 days and then died. Didn't see any powder on it but it was off colored. I'm also nervous because I can't get the goby's tail and eyes clear ever since I got him. The eyes have a haze on them and so does his tail fin. Eating well though.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe...But I should treat copper first because I had a tang die like a week ago, and it had fast breathing for 2 days and then died. Didn't see any powder on it but it was off colored. I'm also nervous because I can't get the goby's tail and eyes clear ever since I got him. The eyes have a haze on them and so does his tail fin. Eating well though.
Sounds like a bacterial infection for the cloudy eyes and fin rot. Food soak selcon (fish vitamins) and it will clear up. The fish’s immune system can fight most bacterial infections. In the event that it’s spreading rapidly and gram negative: antibiotics should be used.

I don’t believe you should use antibiotics now. It’s a mild case. Antibiotics work by slowing the bacteria spread so the fish’s immune system can fight them off. So far it appears the fish has control over it.

Is your tank empty from all fish?

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a bacterial infection for the cloudy eyes and fin rot. Food soak selcon (fish vitamins) and it will clear up. The fish’s immune system can fight most bacterial infections. In the event that it’s spreading rapidly and gram negative: antibiotics should be used.

I don’t believe you should waste time with antibiotics in your case. It’s a mild case.

Is your tank empty from all fish?
Yes, display has no fish in it. I have been using selcon for about 2 months now. No change. Not spreading rapidly, been the same for almost 2 months.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, display has no fish in it. I have been using selcon for about 2 months now. No change. Not spreading rapidly, been the same for almost 2 months.
2 months?!

Question: How did you know that you have prazi resistant flukes? Did you do any freshwater baths to diagnose the flukes?

Second: I want you to know that eye flukes are a thing. It will make the fish’s eye cloudy. I’m going to find a resource with pictures right now.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s step 1: Raise your Display tank temperature at 81F and mark 45 days later from when you removed all fish. That is the day you can add back all the fish.

We are going to come up with a treatment plan now. I need pictures of the goby.

Also answer how you learned you still had flukes.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 months?!

Question: How did you know that you have prazi resistant flukes? Did you do any freshwater baths to diagnose the flukes?

Second: I want you to know that eye flukes are a thing. It will make the fish’s eye cloudy. I’m going to find a resource with pictures right now.
Well, I tried skin scrapes, fw dips, prazipro, even dosed Kanaplex in display thinking it might be a bacterial infection. On the fw dips little specks came off but looked at them under microscope and didn't see anything. I posted pics of things I found but no avail. Then I thought maybe they are gill flukes, can't see em and hard to get a sample so there's that.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s step 1: Raise your Display tank temperature at 81F and mark 45 days later from when you removed all fish. That is the day you can add back all the fish.

We are going to come up with a treatment plan now. I need pictures of the goby.

Also answer how you learned you still had flukes.
Ok display is set at 82 degrees.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back