I don’t feed my tangs nori (algae) what about you?

Do you feed your tangs nori?

• Yes

Votes: 509 83.2%
  • No

Votes: 85 13.9%
  • Other

Votes: 18 2.9%

• Total voters

SteadyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed Algaemax pellets everyday and nori on weekends.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 juvenile tangs 4" and i feed nori, or julians red seaweed. I prefer the latter as its real leaf instead of rhe chopped and dried.
My tangs and foxface obviously go after it but also my clown fairy wrasse and my diamond spot goby also feed off the clip. Both also school with the tangs so i think they are confused lol

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed them small amounts of nori strips 4in x 1/4in... 3 times a day. Along with chopped raw shrimp,mysis shrimp and spirulina brine.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have one Tang, and I only feed him a little Nori. I include it in my blended homemade food along with shrimp, mussels, etc.

So once a day he gets Nori, the rest of the day he grazes the tank. He is fat and active and my tank is algae free.

I'm always shocked by the amount of Nori some people are putting in their tanks, and the practice of clipping it to the side. Neither make much sense to me. My tank has always been happy eating pieces of floating nori, and squirting in some food is certainly easier than dealing with some underwater magnetic clip.

Redleg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue tang just ignores it. The pair of black Mollies I had would devour a half sheet in minutes.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little note to add. my scribbled angel pair lost the white bars near the front over time. Interestingly, the white bars are coming back due to adding lots of nori to their diet.. I do not have many tangs.. two purple.. mostly angels and wrasses. they all seem to love the nori. the larger angels I hold half a sheet up top from them to hand feed. Point being.. There is something in the nori that is providing the proper nutrients to provide for the coloration of the Angels... well at least the scribbles.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nori or other seaweeds and macroalgaes, often with some Selcon rubbed in. Hippo Tang, Purple Tang, Foxface Rabbitfish, Melanurus Wrasse, Coral Beauty Angel, even Ocellaris Clowns attack it enthusiastically. A 2" square lasts a couple of minutes.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wrasse go crazy at the nori, far more than the tomini does. Have stopped putting it out regularly, haven't noticed any difference other than the tomini is out and about much more than previous. Unsure if that's due to the nori reduction, or just maturing, etc.

Gonzo74

Nibbling on sponge cake...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of new tangs that will not eat anything (Yellow and Naso). They were shipped via mail and am wanting to get them to eat something. They have not eaten since arriving.

Does anyone have a magical solution to kick start their eating?

Gonzo74

Nibbling on sponge cake...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of new tangs that will not eat anything (Yellow and Naso). They were shipped via mail and am wanting to get them to eat something. They have not eaten since arriving.

I have tried Nori seaweed, pellets, various frozen foods, and also tried adding selcon to the food. Nothing entices them to eat.

John Hughes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my Yellow and Naso Bok Choy daily and they beg for it. They attack it and tear it to shreds as soon the clipped leaf hits the water

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'd suggest starting your own thread for better attention, but some PE Mysis or LRS Frenzy are good options.

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed nori every other day and most of the fish eat it not just the tangs. I roll up half a sheet and attach it to the clip so that only about half an inch hangs down. I find less gets wasted that way.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tangs eat two full sheets every day and they’re gone by 1pm.

It’s true it’s messy but it’s great for tangs both behaviorally and nutritionally.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/4 sheet every morning for my Tomini tang, 2 wrasses, and blenny. Even the clowns take a nibble now and then.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 33 40.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back