I dropped a rock on my clam!

Perpetual Novice

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 16, 2019
Messages
423
Reaction score
318
What state or country do you live in
Delaware
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was adjusting the aquascape in my tank and a large coral skeleton fell on my 7 inch derasa clam. It has opened back up since then and I can see that there is a scratch in the mantle and also another spot where it appears a small piece of coral may have pierced the mantle and broke off. or at the very least it is wedged into it somehow. The clam is responsive and acting healthy as normal except for the visible injuries. Will it heal on its own? Should I try to remove the broken coral piece? I already tried once but face-palmed when the clam obviously closed on my finger. What do I do?
 
Here are photos of the injury.
37CF4D0F-C52C-4877-A0DF-A5B0EB61F279.jpeg
45D995C3-9B9E-4FDA-8520-581F8D47C174.jpeg
336EE1DB-28C7-49D2-9BC9-D6EF1CA3650E.jpeg 3A40A8E3-E0E2-4B6B-AC4B-7983CB3DC545.jpeg 05DFDCAB-FB84-4261-88AD-FE770E0543BE.jpeg 3A8A5556-AC9A-4FF7-9DB9-F84EB53F0E32.jpeg
 
I don’t know how delicate the mantle is. I have small tweezers and large foot-long blunt ones as well. But in both cases I’m afraid of further damaging the mantle if I’m clumsy.
 
I’d leave him alone and hope he recovers from it. He looks like he will make it from the photos.

what about the puncture? will it heal beneath it and slowly push it out like some kind of terminator or something?
 
what about the puncture? will it heal beneath it and slowly push it out like some kind of terminator or something?
they get attacked by fish, and all sorts of other creatures and survive so i would say just leave it be, thats all you can do really, there is no way to heal a damaged clam besides let it heal itself.
 
I agree with not trying to remove the wedged piece of coral skeleton, my concern would be to make the puncture larger, which could increase the chance of infection. Good luck, I hope it heals up nicely.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new