Status
Not open for further replies.

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the busty avatars showing up on R2R lately?

As a female, seeing those avatars, it feels inappropriate in a family friendly, reef aquarium forum. While guys might enjoy the eye candy, I find it cheapens what we are doing here. Which is learning about reef aquariums.

If all of us posted busty selfies as avatars, image the degradation in R2R’s reputation.

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, If dudes call those avatars "eye candy" then they may be a little strange. But I do agree that this forums censors a TON of stuff such as swear words, and political views. If this forum is family friendly like we want it to be, why is half naked anime girls allowed on here. so yes I agree. (and i'm a guy)

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the busty avatars showing up on R2R lately?

As a female, seeing those avatars, it feels inappropriate in a family friendly, reef aquarium forum. While guys might enjoy the eye candy, I find it cheapens what we are doing here. Which is learning about reef aquariums.

If all of us posted busty selfies as avatars, image the degradation in R2R’s reputation.

Use a "bulge" pic as your avatar and see how long it lasts :).

There's even some vendor stuff that's questionable, not sure how this conveys a family friendly image...
Capture.PNG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are definitely looking into this and if you see offending avatars just report a post with that user please.

Thank you!

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s about time organizations such as R2R stand up for what they believe in regardless of what the rest of the country is insisting is OK and this is how it is. This is why we separated from Britain and created our own country. Yes, everyone can believe what ever they want here in the USA. And if this is the site that chooses to be family friendly and have morals and values, then this is where I will be. I will be actively reading posts and helping fellow reefers while I eat my Chik fil a !

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really not a fan of all the censoring. If we keep censoring everything (not just here) we will eventually lose our voice.

I really don't want to see it.
but
All the censoring does is let us pretend what is happening to our culture isn't.

I'm not here though for a view of everything happening in society. I'm here for reef discussion, I think it's great that this site isn't a bastion of free speech :) There's a reason I and many others are not on FB.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s about time organizations such as R2R stand up for what they believe in regardless of what the rest of the country is insisting is OK and this is how it is. This is why we separated from Britain and created our own country. Yes, everyone can believe what ever they want here in the USA. And if this is the site that chooses to be family friendly and have morals and values, then this is where I will be. I will be actively reading posts and helping fellow reefers while I eat my Chic fil a !
Could not have said it better myself!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about setting standards and following a moral compass, even if the world around us is degrading.

We have higher standards here on the form to set examples for all age groups, regardless of race, gender or religion.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are definitely looking into this and if you see offending avatars just report a post with that user please.

Thank you!
What the boss said. And please remember “offensive” is subjective and the staff tries our best to do what we think is right for the community.

Last edited:

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a "bulge" pic as your avatar and see how long it lasts :).

There's even some vendor stuff that's questionable, not sure how this conveys a family friendly image...
Capture.PNG
I’m not sure how it doesn’t? What about this image that shows a belly button is offensive? I’m not really wanting to have this debate on a reef form but my .02 as a member is enough with the censorship. I’ll leave it at that.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed this as well, some of the profile pics, memes and the political nonsense that I've seen lately seem to push the envelope as family friendly. Glad to see action is being taken since this forum has a lot of women and children that participate.

U

User1

View Badges
Maybe it isn't just guys who enjoy it - gals may also. So please don't judge.

Vendor image. It is in their name. Does the Homewrecker coral bother you because of the name?

How do you handle a work place, coffee shop, mall, or any other public place you may visit? Do you ask the young men and women to cover?

How do you feel about Rosie the Riveter out of curiosity?

Look - it is an avatar. X pixel by X pixel. Unless they have been banned over night or changed by an automation script I can honestly say in my time here I've not personally seen an avatar that I thought crossed a line. Then again I'll be the first to say that I really don't pay attention.

Maybe you found one that is obvious. Then again maybe you are spending a bit too much time examining the avatar instead of what they posted. I agree with a poster above that this particular board censors a lot. More than I've ever seen if truth be told. Some of it I think is good others I think are starting to blur acceptable lines that I have and question my stay here.

Unless it is a full Monty or Pair of what God gave you let it go. If you can't then remove avatars all together and put the letter of the posters name and be done.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can simply "ignore" that user and not see the content you find unsavory.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, talk about a thankless job ;)

I find turbochargers offensive.
That was a joke. But there is always someone out there like that.
I am not on Facebook either. But it's because I found nothing of value there. That isn't true here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back