I need a job

twelvefive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I visited his town and him not too long ago... it is a dismal place.

I still think you could work at kroger and get paid in Hamm's

180galreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Born in Kokomo, raised in Arcadia and Houston/Katy Tx.

I understand what you are talking about as far as hard to find a job up there. Most people do not understand what it is like. However there have been some key points that have already been presented to you. The way to get a job up there is beat the pavement. Walk into every place you can think of and ask for an application, if you get a chance to talk to someone then you need to "play up/down" your skills depending on where you are at. If you walk into burger king, dont tell them you are a college graduate. If you walk into an office type job, dont forget to tell them you are a college graduate. Be dumb where you need to be and very smart where you need to be; play the game and dont let the game play you.

Peterock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tip: Don't mention "My woman" when referring to your better half. It may not help your chances of getting a job.

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Born in Kokomo, raised in Arcadia and Houston/Katy Tx.

I understand what you are talking about as far as hard to find a job up there. Most people do not understand what it is like. However there have been some key points that have already been presented to you. The way to get a job up there is beat the pavement. Walk into every place you can think of and ask for an application, if you get a chance to talk to someone then you need to "play up/down" your skills depending on where you are at. If you walk into burger king, dont tell them you are a college graduate. If you walk into an office type job, dont forget to tell them you are a college graduate. Be dumb where you need to be and very smart where you need to be; play the game and dont let the game play you.

So what do I tell them I need to redo my applications? They are fairly fresh still.

Tip: Don't mention "My woman" when referring to your better half. It may not help your chances of getting a job.

I refer to her as her royal majesty normally. :))p.
and how do you know I'm not the better half lol? Kidding on both ends. I don't get the chance to bring her up...they see double
Major on my college and think they are at risk of loosing their jobs to me I guess...I don't dress or look like a hoodlum either unless I'm playing a show with a band...

When I graduate ill have business and sculpture degrees. Just not this month :D

And an update on my income status:
Its coming back in. This week has drained my frag tank of corals already :) so that's good.

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This place just makes no sense to me...we have an awesome college in Kokomo but nobody who graduated state behind to benefit the area for those who live here.

Dtech07

SPS LOVER!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Night time cleaning job sustained my family for 3 years and i only worked 3-4hr 4 days a week and was making more than enough so that i could keep my arms and we simplified our lives, got rid of cable tv, extra cell phone usage etc. I have a computer engineering degree in International, security, etc and live in Washington State home of Microsoft, Intel and other big companies but never has my family spent more quality time together than when we were cleaning office and medical sites, I now have two large medical centers we clean and now and make WAY more than we need.
There are many avenues available only if we are willing to SEE them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bills are limited to Utilities, food, gas, animals (fish dogs cats), homeowners stuff, insurances, Internet, and car payment. Cable is a pointless investment to me...I could care less about television aside from a few masterpieces like Breaking Bad or Dexter...pure works of art.
I only have one small loan for the car and both of us are qualified for financial aid at school.

Its not very expensive to live around here. Which is another reason im surviving off a few aquariums and stuff. I break even at the end of the month, and the worst I've come out under was $50 something bucks which could have been worse. The most I have come out ahead was $700 in a month after all the bills and restocking. That was when I got a killer deal on a few massive chalice corals I fragged out, and I just got another massive one that will bring in a good month.

Ways I save money:
DIY anything I can
No cable
I have a fruit/veggie garden
Just Sold the pool, we swam 7 times this summer
AC is always on 73, heat on 69
Sealed the house
Kroger gas discounts :) love that
Ride a bike in town
Modded the car for a hair better mpg
Route Rodi waste to washing machine
Plus I nickel and dime everything.
I don't eat out...often
LEDS on the reef.
Sun lights most rooms all day
All my appliances are energy star
For the place I live I'm living as cheap as humanly possible while maintaining/improving the house with quality to increase its value more than it was when I moved in.

My tank is also kept at a stable temp by having the sump in the basement, never gets hot or cold down there and the heaters haven't even came on.

Frugal living for me, even if I am rich. I don't like blowing money unless it is something that will change my life. Guitars are my weakness and always will be. However I always manage to spoil ze woman at least once a week with something. Its my way of saying thanks for still loving me though I am not a lawyer or a doctor.

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Night time cleaning job sustained my family for 3 years and i only worked 3-4hr 4 days a week and was making more than enough so that i could keep my arms and we simplified our lives, got rid of cable tv, extra cell phone usage etc. I have a computer engineering degree in International, security, etc and live in Washington State home of Microsoft, Intel and other big companies but never has my family spent more quality time together than when we were cleaning office and medical sites, I now have two large medical centers we clean and now and make WAY more than we need.
There are many avenues available only if we are willing to SEE them.

What do you need to start something like that up? My shampooers and vacuums are far from commercial grade, especially with my malamute's fur constantly burning the belts out haha.

Dtech07

SPS LOVER!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We looked in the local paper and had a friend that had their own business. We worked for both for 6months (to learn the ropes and bidding, equipment cost, and city and state laws. Then my wife and I went to the Goodwill and found 4 of these
nyjebeha.jpg

Metal Eureka Vacuum's cost $100 and $100 in parts but there build like a tank and work like a horse (we later found 6 more that were broke and all are use now on different sites. Bought ALL chemicals with the view of Eco smart and concentrate (selling point) cost a little more but we charged a little more to balance it out. Went to thrift stores for buckets with a ringer and wheels till we could buy new. Total startup was $1000 including tax, monthly over head is $1000 that's including state and federal taxes, take home is $4k.
Cheap and sloppy services and equipment will lose customers and build a poor rep among local business and trust me they talk. Basically we buy Toyota level equipment not Lexus or Pinto. We use Eco smart products because medical sites love it but they also pay more :). We found this very small notch that many do but kept it simple kept high standards on our work and made sure we had to very trusted and reliable back up cleaners so we can take time off and do vacations. Hope this helps.

lawnman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are TONS of jobs in Indianapolis Carmel and Fishers areas. My sister in law works for job force. I was in there the other day and there was a WALL of jobs they were hiring for. I saw a few that were 90K for computer stuff.

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 hours north of Indy and muncie, and and hour and a half from fart Wayne, Lafayette, and other major cities. Between them all Is the same as Peru. Between commuting and hours lost selling coral I'd be in the same situation with more miles on my car :/

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about if I ran an aquarium club? There isn't really a local one (tri-county)...is there any profit in that? I was thinking of starting one with a buddy of mine anyways but I haven't got much research as to what it all pertains yet.

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never mind that last question, I just answered it myself: NO. Though once I'm more of an "established citizen" I will start one.

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some long term writing projects as well I am currently working on in my sparest of spare time.
-Music theory for the abstract minded: a book about how 'out of the box' musicians learn and write.
-Currently Untitled- book of poems and true stories about everything strange I have witnessed (which is a large chunk of litetature)
-Another still Untitled book- My perspective on pop Art and its reflection on society
-The Book of Anti-Wisdom: basically its a text book style write up that is for entertainment purposes. Aimed towards college writing professors and other scholarly writers with a sense of humor. It is essentially the most sensible nonsense I can think of that maintains a level of logic which can prove its validity and "truthiness," as stephen Colbert would say.

180galreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go into kokomo and start applying, another option would be Becks seed in arcadia (not sure of their hiring schedule, Harvest should be coming up?).

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its just like the whole area is on a huge wait list. Not being related to anyone really matters a ton in places like this. I have a relative in every other state. Idaho is a serious possibility. My uncle owns a barber shop there with a huge empty section of the building at my disposal. But yeah....my darling needs to graduate college in a place she won't have to pay for it. :)

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 41 46.1%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.7%
Back