I NEED HELP MAKING A DECISION

ASWoodsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32.5 gallon display tank with a 10 gallon sump (42.5 gallons all together). I’m looking to get a wrasse, but I can’t find one that would be good for my tank. I plan to have softie/lps coral, two clownfish, a tailspot Blenny, a royal gramma, a cleaner shrimp, and some snails and a conch for my cuc. I’m open to changing this list around besides for the coral types, clownfish, and tailspot Blenny, but anything else can be taken out in order to get a wrasse. If you also have any other suggestions for fish, that would be great.

Im looking for a wrasse that will eat pests, but flasher wrasses would also work.

ABQ_CHRIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do not have any fish, you could start with a Possum Wrasse or pink-streaked wrasse. They are shy and peaceful though and will not do well with bullies. I don't have experience with six line wrasses, but they might stand up better with the clowns and blenny.

OP
OP
A

ASWoodsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flasher wrasses won’t eat pests.

What pests are you trying to eliminate?
I don’t currently have any pests, but I like to have the weight off my shoulders of knowing there is something in my tank that eats pests, not just algae.

OP
OP
A

ASWoodsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are notoriously mean and territorially. Murderous really. It all depends on individual fish and tank size, but they are typically not nice.
I already have two clownfish, both not aggressive whatsoever besides when I put my finger in the tank.

CRath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32.5 gallon display tank with a 10 gallon sump (42.5 gallons all together). I’m looking to get a wrasse, but I can’t find one that would be good for my tank. I plan to have softie/lps coral, two clownfish, a tailspot Blenny, a royal gramma, a cleaner shrimp, and some snails and a conch for my cuc. I’m open to changing this list around besides for the coral types, clownfish, and tailspot Blenny, but anything else can be taken out in order to get a wrasse. If you also have any other suggestions for fish, that would be great.

Im looking for a wrasse that will eat pests, but flasher wrasses would also work.
Most fairy wrasses will spend time poking through your rockwork for tasty treats. Really fun ones include the splendid pintail, Lubbok's, bluehead, and red head solon. They all do very well in a 30 gallon tank and shouldn't outgrow the tank. I have a blue head in my 30 cube and she is always on the prowl for food in the rocks.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’ve been with many types of fish, and have never even shown any signs of aggression
With a new fish in the tank though, they most likely will not be happy and you may end up with just the clownfish and other fish you currently have.

No wrasse will work in the tank you have, if you didn’t have the aggressors then you could have a Pseudocheilinops ataenia however these don’t do well with any form of aggression towards them unless they’re established first.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most fairy wrasses will spend time poking through your rockwork for tasty treats. Really fun ones include the splendid pintail, Lubbok's, bluehead, and red head solon. They all do very well in a 30 gallon tank and shouldn't outgrow the tank. I have a blue head in my 30 cube and she is always on the prowl for food in the rocks.
Fairy Wrasses do not eat pests. These feed on Phytoplankton, and they also don’t do well in a tank less than 3’ long term. These are highly active (Especially the lubbockis).
Take this from someone with 3 fairy wrasses and 2 of them being Cirrhilabrus lubbocki.

Blue Headed Fairy Wrasses and Red Headed Solon Fairy Wrasses can become aggressive and rather nasty as they age. Other Fairy Wrasses would be a risk when mixing them.

OP
OP
A

ASWoodsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Update: I’m most likely going to get a Yellow Canary Wrasse since I have a lot of swimming room, but also some rock work to explore. I’m just concerned because I am not sure if I should also get a royal gramma because I’ve heard that they get aggressive with wrasses.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I’m most likely going to get a Yellow Canary Wrasse since I have a lot of swimming room, but also some rock work to explore. I’m just concerned because I am not sure if I should also get a royal gramma because I’ve heard that they get aggressive with wrasses.
My Royal Gramma was the only fish my Clowns did not try and kill in my 32.5, because he was a jerk too.

They killed a lawnmower blenny, fire fish, and they would have killed the yellow watchman goby had I not removed them.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
They are notoriously mean and territorially. Murderous really. It all depends on individual fish and tank size, but they are typically not nice.
My 6-line bullied my 4 Anthias, canary, & striped blenny to death after just one day snapping. I'd avoid 6-line.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have six lines in my display and in my frag tank and neither one cause any problems.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back